Postby trey31 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 pm

^ Dynamic Lighting Mod v.1.0.b

Default Shader #32
Spoiler:

Shader #32 Matte (Revision B)
Spoiler:

Dynamic Shader #32
Spoiler:

If you prefer Default Shader #32 image, no hard feelings, but this mod isn't for you.

If you prefer Shader #32 Matte, then Dynamic Lighting Mod v.1.0.b (Revision B; Matte) is the Mod you're looking for.

If you dig photorealism in video games, then you probably preferred Dynamic Shader #32 over the others. Welcome brother. Dynamic Lighting Mod v.1.0 is waiting for you.

***removed

(place in Documents/Madden NFL 08 folder)

**No permissions for re-distribution, nor modification of any kind, are granted.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Dynamic Lighting Mod (DAT)

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynamic Lighting Mod (DAT)

Postby trey31 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm

This mod modifies M08's cubemap shaders. There are several, but I had to duplicate one for the outdoor model lighting and use it indoors as well. The reason being this:
Spoiler:
M08's default indoor shader cubemaps aren't compatible with indoor stadiums. It causes a chroming effect from the multiple light sources. Hard to explain, but the global lighting is the same indoors and out so it works better. I guess what I'm trying to say is the stadium/artificial/indoor lighting is a farce and the game only uses the one light source, which is why the dev team abandoned the 4-light source cubemap included in the SHADERDAT.dat. It doesn't work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

**Reserved for archiving the OP in the event of future updates.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

VirdeeMan
All-Pro

Postby VirdeeMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 am

Shader #32 Matte (Revision B)
Spoiler:

Dynamic Shader #32
Spoiler:

If you prefer Default Shader #32 image, no hard feelings, but this mod isn't for you.

If you prefer Shader #32 Matte, then Dynamic Lighting Mod v.1.0.b (Revision B; Matte) is the Mod you're looking for.

If you dig photorealism in video games, then you probably preferred Dynamic Shader #32 over the others. Welcome brother. Dynamic Lighting Mod v.1.0 is waiting for you.[/quote]

That difference though :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

prevas
All-Pro

Postby prevas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 am

Wow, first found you released arms mod now this, thanks again trey, my morning is beautiful :D

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 am

VirdeeMan wrote:That difference though :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes? Is good? :lol:

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 am

prevas wrote:Wow, first found you released arms mod now this, thanks again trey, my morning is beautiful :D

Development went sort of hand-in-hand. Made sense to release both at the same time.

VirdeeMan
All-Pro

Postby VirdeeMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:47 am

trey31 wrote:
VirdeeMan wrote:That difference though :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yessssssss

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 am

VirdeeMan wrote:
trey31 wrote:

Yessssssss

High Five!!! :D

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 am

trey31 wrote:

No more shiny "acrylic" jerseys! DLMv1.0 is great.

Thanks for sharing, trey.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 am

1312qohelet wrote:
trey31 wrote:

No more shiny "acrylic" jerseys! DLMv1.0 is great.

Thanks for sharing, trey.

You're welcome!

I tested numerous cubemaps, made my own, read a lot on the MS D3DX9 dev website, and ended up coming full circle back to Madden's cubemaps.

The interesting thing is that there are two cubemap shaders being used in-game. One lighting shader and one reflectivity shader. The default 31 Shader (the lighting/shading shader) has extremely plain gradients and has numerous directional issues/conflicts with the global light source at default.
Spoiler:

The default 32 Shader has its own issues but that's because of the way the devs integrated reflectivity in the game via D3DX9 Shader Compiler (I can't find any discernable code to edit the shader settings, so I can only alter the textures/cubemaps themselves). Reflectivity is set at or near full strength in the game's code, similar to the way you would set reflectivity for a mirror or chrome object, which is where the shiny acrylic issues stem from. It's also probably why they made this cubemap so dark...
Spoiler:

However, that being said, the reflectivity cubemap (32) does have good direction that aligns almost perfectly with the global light source. So after testing and building my own cubemaps for 31 (the lighting/shading file) I decided to try to alter the 32 shader and that's pretty much how I ended up with the Dynamic 31 Shader that has good directional lighting/shading. I simply stole the 32 cubemap, altered levels and some other minor details, and repurposed it for the 31.
Spoiler:
The right cubemap for the job has been in the files all along...

The dev team basically just didn't quite understand what they were doing, or didn't know exactly how to do what they were trying to do... Which is probably why there are 4-light-source cubemaps for artificially-lit stadiums (domes/night games) but they don't actually work with the single source global lighting used in every stadium in the game... smh

Return to “Finished Mods”