pick6 wants YOU! (aka Senior Bowl TrueTurf)

pick6
Hall of Fame

Re: pick6 wants YOU!

Postby pick6 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:54 pm

Rixster67r wrote:A snow/mud overlay.....

Sorry Rix, I never really used "weathered" fields much myself. Besides, I found it very hard to do a good job with the clouding for those!

Reese's Senior Bowl field (at Hancock-Whitney Stadium) is coming along very nicely tho! :D I got all the extra hash marks in (NCAA + NFL markings), plus midfield logo and the three 25yd logo's done. So I gonna re-install Madden tomorrow and see how it looks to play on. First time in 5 years!! :o Still got the 2 endzones to do but they should be pretty straightforward, plus some perimeter lines to tidy up.

Enjoying this so far! :D

Sponsor

Sponsor

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi. I don't believe we've ever met. I'm sf, I was here briefly modding uniforms, .DAT field-art and such, but have since retired. I've always been very impressed with your work. Especially your work on the NCAA FieldBuilder mod. It's been a while since I've played the mod, HOWEVER, I do recall when playing it, that there was no Alabama field, Florida State field, or Oklahoma field ever included.

I'm not necessarily asking you to make it, but that's definitely my suggestion :D

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:36 am

I do have a request. Since you work with TPFs I would like to request if you could file your hash textures so others could use them for future reference.

...or if you would like to help build the library of hash textures from the X mod v3 using the DAT Maps.

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:09 am

pick6 wrote:
Rixster67r wrote:A snow/mud overlay.....

Sorry Rix, I never really used "weathered" fields much myself. Besides, I found it very hard to do a good job with the clouding for those!

Reese's Senior Bowl field (at Hancock-Whitney Stadium) is coming along very nicely tho! :D I got all the extra hash marks in (NCAA + NFL markings), plus midfield logo and the three 25yd logo's done. So I gonna re-install Madden tomorrow and see how it looks to play on. First time in 5 years!! :o Still got the 2 endzones to do but they should be pretty straightforward, plus some perimeter lines to tidy up.

Enjoying this so far! :D

No problem.... I fully understand they are hard.... I have been trying now and then for years as I do like seeing a game in snow.....

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:00 am

sarcasticface wrote:I do recall when playing it, that there was no Alabama field, Florida State field, or Oklahoma field ever included.

Hi sf, nice to meet you! :D Thank you for your kind words. You're right that there are some fields I never got around to doing, and it does make sense that that would be a great place to start. But I'm reluctant to get back into that tbh, as I know I'll start seeing goalposts, or drop-shadow logos, or slightly-mismatching colors that will need tweaking! I'm being deadly serious here :( I like just being able to focus on fields at the moment, as I never really had enough time to do that tbh. The development and write-ups for example took up so much of my time that I never really got to use my own templates as much as I'd like. Tbh, that random high-school field I showed earlier in this thread REALLY got my interest rn, but no-one will likely ever play on it! I may have a look at that anyway after the Senior Bowl field...

elguapo wrote:I would like to request if you could file your hash textures so others could use them for future reference.

Hey, I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. Do you mean a filing system of some sort?

I definitely don't want to get back into the .dat-editing programs tho. I am older and slower and have forgotten so much of how I used to do those things! (I did keep everything I made tho) Please elaborate and I'll see what I can do ;)

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:58 pm

Omg I had forgotten how good these fields look in-game! :D

Here's a Senior Bowl preview (UNFINISHED!):
senior overhead.jpg
senior overhead.jpg (364.38 KiB) Viewed 847 times

And I had forgotten just how far I came to finishing my Texas A&M-Commerce Lions. I think I've definitely gotta finish that one out after and release it!

TAMC preview (UNFINISHED!):
TAMC overhead.jpg
TAMC overhead.jpg (380.54 KiB) Viewed 847 times

And tbh, I still really like that random Mount Paran Christian Eagles high school field I showed in the first post! :D Has anyone got any weird high school fields they're interested in??

I'm really happy to be finally working on some fields for my own pleasure!

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:17 pm

pick6 wrote:Omg I had forgotten how good these fields look in-game! :D

Here's a Senior Bowl preview (UNFINISHED!):
senior overhead.jpg

And I had forgotten just how far I came to finishing my Texas A&M-Commerce Lions. I think I've definitely gotta finish that one out after and release it!

TAMC preview (UNFINISHED!):
TAMC overhead.jpg

And tbh, I still really like that random Mount Paran Christian Eagles high school field I showed in the first post! :D Has anyone got any weird high school fields they're interested in??

I'm really happy to be finally working on some fields for my own pleasure!

I'm not as versed with TPF's. Will the senior bowl field be able to be used at any stadium? I'd like to swap the FF/FI mod's stadium with the Tom Benson HOF game stadium found here alongside the field, will that work?

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:45 pm

TheRareButter wrote:Will the senior bowl field be able to be used at any stadium? I'd like to swap the FF/FI mod's stadium with the Tom Benson HOF game stadium found?

It's working fine for me in Tom Benson stadium but I use my FieldBuilder framework as the base. In theory the field should work with other mods too but there may be a little tweaking involved. I'll talk about that more when I'm finished tho. :)

As always tho, the best quality will be preserved if you use the tpf's.

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Quick update for you RareButter;

I've got the proportions of everything correct now, incl endzone letters! :D I was originally gonna let the SOUTH ALABAMA wording show thru the endzone like in real-life, but I'm not gonna now. It just wouldn't look good in-game tbh. I am gonna do clouding thru the ez's and mid tho, so it'll look more natural. But I am gonna leave in the poorly-greened-out SBC on the 25's tho, as I think the field wil look more realistic with it.

Happyyyyyy :D

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 pm

Ok, everything's basically done now, but I'm just trying to add some clouding in certain places to give a more realistic effect.

Here's the left endzone though:
endzone american.jpg
endzone american.jpg (671.88 KiB) Viewed 783 times

So what I have here is clouding thru the orange boundary and the orange in the endzone. However I've used a slightly different shade of orange for the Reese logo tho and no clouding also just to make it stand out a little more (as in real life). I've used what I call "black 30" for the lettering (black with RGB values of 30,30,30) as pure black (0,0,0) is always unrealistic. I've also "tidied up" the lettering (as explained in a different tutorial) to make all the horizontal and vertical black edges sharp and full pixels (no half-shaded / half-transparent pixels). (Took care to make sure all the various parts are exactly same width too). I decided not to use clouding throughout the lettering as I'm happy with how it looks in-game, although I may come back to that at the very end if I've time. Also visible is goalpost padding.

Last thing for now is to add clouding thru the midfield logo. I have the logo in-place and looking good, but I really want clouding thru it to make it pop!

Btw, my wife came thru earlier and saw I was modding again and said aloud "oh no he's back at that again! He gets obsessed with it!" :D

Return to “Graphics”