3D Model Development Thread

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Re: 3D Model Development Thread

Postby ChalupaBatman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 pm

RevanFan wrote:I personally want them to be realistic, regardless of how it may affect the game's resource consumption. If you're running an even slightly modern system, default Madden or Madden with current mods takes almost no system resources. Well, it's not even close to being a hog, anyway.

trey31 wrote:Actually you'd be surprised. That Revo Speed model's OBJ data is only 6MB. and it's extremely detailed. The obj file contains 270,988 lines of uncompressed data, and it's still roughly only 1/5th the data size of one single HD crowd texture (Virdeeman's crowd mod in uncompressed .png format that we worked on as beta before release was over 30MB), and there are hundreds of crowd textures rendered at a time depending on the stadium. Using the 4K crowd texture in testing, I didn't notice any stutter issues at all (though I do have discrete graphics cards...)

Even close-up with wire frame off and shadows on, the faces are visible without any textures.

Well, here's the thing guys. It's less about people's computers being able to run it, and more about the game's engine being able to handle it. File size isn't really an issue, but rather polygon count. Keep in mind, this is a PS2 game engine. There may be a limit to how many polygons it can render at once without spazing out. Another thing that is different than texture files, is that polygons can't be tiled. Those crowd files are a single image loaded into memory once and just repeated multiple times. That keeps the memory usage down. However, polygons don't work that way. There's going to be 22 helmets on the field, and each polygon of them will need to be rendered 22 separate times. There is no repeating. Add to that any other high poly models we add in the future, and you can see where I'm going.

The point being, we shouldn't go too crazy with poly counts just because we can. There's a good chance it will cause problems down the road. Besides, you can get realism without having an insane number of polygons. Take the Doom Guy's helmet from last year's Doom for example:

Spoiler:

And compare that to the high poly speedflex model:

Spoiler:

The high poly speedflex, while very nice looking, likely wouldn't give you any better results in game than the Doom helmet, or the lower poly speedflex version:

Spoiler:

And the extra polys would just serve to tax the game engine.

Because of all that, if we're going to up the poly counts from the current in game models, I'd suggest finding a happy medium. Something that gives a good amount of detail and realism, while also not being excessive. Something closer to the Doom Guy's helmet or the lower poly Speedflex posted above get's my vote. That way it looks good, but is less likely to overwhelm a 10-15 year old game engine. Plus it has the added benefit of being able to run on lower end hardware, so win-win.

End of the day though, community decision. If you guys want to go high poly, I can do that. My concerns have been noted 8-)
Bear Down.

Sponsor

Sponsor

VirdeeMan
All-Pro

Postby VirdeeMan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:57 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:
RevanFan wrote:I personally want them to be realistic, regardless of how it may affect the game's resource consumption. If you're running an even slightly modern system, default Madden or Madden with current mods takes almost no system resources. Well, it's not even close to being a hog, anyway.

trey31 wrote:Actually you'd be surprised. That Revo Speed model's OBJ data is only 6MB. and it's extremely detailed. The obj file contains 270,988 lines of uncompressed data, and it's still roughly only 1/5th the data size of one single HD crowd texture (Virdeeman's crowd mod in uncompressed .png format that we worked on as beta before release was over 30MB), and there are hundreds of crowd textures rendered at a time depending on the stadium. Using the 4K crowd texture in testing, I didn't notice any stutter issues at all (though I do have discrete graphics cards...)

Even close-up with wire frame off and shadows on, the faces are visible without any textures.

Well, here's the thing guys. It's less about people's computers being able to run it, and more about the game's engine being able to handle it. File size isn't really an issue, but rather polygon count. Keep in mind, this is a PS2 game engine. There may be a limit to how many polygons it can render at once without spazing out. Another thing that is different than texture files, is that polygons can't be tiled. Those crowd files are a single image loaded into memory once and just repeated multiple times. That keeps the memory usage down. However, polygons don't work that way. There's going to be 22 helmets on the field, and each polygon of them will need to be rendered 22 separate times. There is no repeating. Add to that any other high poly models we add in the future, and you can see where I'm going.

The point being, we shouldn't go too crazy with poly counts just because we can. There's a good chance it will cause problems down the road. Besides, you can get realism without having an insane number of polygons. Take the Doom Guy's helmet from last year's Doom for example:

Spoiler:

And compare that to the high poly speedflex model:

Spoiler:

The high poly speedflex, while very nice looking, likely wouldn't give you any better results in game than the Doom helmet, or the lower poly speedflex version:

Spoiler:

And the extra polys would just serve to tax the game engine.

Because of all that, if we're going to up the poly counts from the current in game models, I'd suggest finding a happy medium. Something that gives a good amount of detail and realism, while also not being excessive. Something closer to the Doom Guy's helmet or the lower poly Speedflex posted above get's my vote. That way it looks good, but is less likely to overwhelm a 10-15 year old game engine. Plus it has the added benefit of being able to run on lower end hardware, so win-win.

End of the day though, community decision. If you guys want to go high poly, I can do that. My concerns have been noted 8-)

How about try both low and high to see how they'll work? Is it time consuming to convert a high poly to a low poly? I'm don't know much about 3D models lol.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:27 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:I'd suggest finding a happy medium. Something that gives a good amount of detail and realism, while also not being excessive. Something closer to the Doom Guy's helmet or the lower poly Speedflex posted above get's my vote. That way it looks good, but is less likely to overwhelm a 10-15 year old game engine. Plus it has the added benefit of being able to run on lower end hardware, so win-win.

My opinion has been swayed. I recall viewing Crysis (1) models a while back, pretty average looking by today's standards (texture resolution in Crysis Realistic mods is insane though, and even vanilla Crysis textures still exceed many of today's AAA titles).

You got my vote.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Postby ChalupaBatman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I wasn't able to find any wireframe versions of Madden 17 helmets, however, if you look closely at them, you can see the vertices and work out how complex they are:

Spoiler:

I highlighted the vertices here:

They look to be roughly on par with the Doom helmet I posted before, maybe a little lower poly even. Just for reference.
Bear Down.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:08 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:I wasn't able to find any wireframe versions of Madden 17 helmets, however, if you look closely at them, you can see the vertices and work out how complex they are:

Spoiler:

I highlighted the vertices here:

They look to be roughly on par with the Doom helmet I posted before, maybe a little lower poly even. Just for reference.

Great sample images. I think you're opinion is backed up with good examples.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Postby ChalupaBatman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 am

trey31 wrote:Great sample images. I think you're opinion is backed up with good examples.

I was just curious as to what the Next Gen Madden games were using in terms of poly counts... so we could use it as a reference point :)
Bear Down.

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Postby ChalupaBatman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm working on retopoing the helmet tonight, still a lot of work to do... but progress!

Bear Down.

arden05
All-Pro

Postby arden05 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:I'm working on retopoing the helmet tonight, still a lot of work to do... but progress!

Looks amazing! Can't wait to get these in game.
Check out sports inspired apparel, made for true fans @ http://fanfocusedtees.spreadshirt.com/

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm

trey31 wrote:I think I decided what I'm going to focus on during my free-time in June/July though...

No clue yet if I will get any of the free-time I anticipated for July.

Return to “Graphics”