TPF Extract Utility

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

TPF Extract Utility

Postby madden07eurocat » Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 am

I need to start this out by saying that no one should be unpacking a tpf without permission to do so from the creator of the tpf. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that credit needs to be given to the creator of a tpf should you decide to use part of there tpf in your tpf. Its only right to do so! If it weren't for all the wonderful talented people in this community, I wouldn't be able to put custom content in my video journal, so THANK YOU!!

TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe are the components used in this tutorial to unpack tpf files. A link is available on this site at http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18332. Look under the Utililities section toward the bottom.

TPFextractGUI.exe is a simple GUI for TPFextract.exe. Much like Calhoupe's Scripts and TexMod, TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe are simple executable applications which don't require any installation and require negligible resources and time to use.

Instructions

1. Following the dowload link above, you'll want to unzip at least the two .exe components, TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe, to the same filder on your hard drive. Wherever you would like it to be.
2. Now that TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exeare together in the same directory, Run TPFextractGUI.exe.
3. TPFextractGUI.exe will open. It is a very basic GUI, with a few bottoms labeled "Browse" and "Extract". Select "Browse" in order to choose the .tpf on your hard drive which you would like to extract, or "unpack", the contents of. when you have chosen your .tpf you will see its contents listed for you on the screen.
5-18-17 TPFextract tutorial 1.PNG
5-18-17 TPFextract tutorial 1.PNG (15.07 KiB) Viewed 11253 times

4. If the files listed are the ones you desire to extract (unpack), click "Extract" now. You will be asked where the contents should be extracted to on you hard drive.
5-18-17 TPFextract tutorial 2.PNG
5-18-17 TPFextract tutorial 2.PNG (43.34 KiB) Viewed 11253 times

Congratulations, you have successfully extracted a .tpf with TPFextract!
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

TPF Extract Utility

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Re: TPF Extract Utility

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 am

madden07eurocat wrote:I need to start this out by saying that no one should be unpacking a tpf without permission to do so from the creator of the tpf. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that credit needs to be given to the creator of a tpf should you decide to use part of there tpf in your tpf. Its only right to do so! If it weren't for all the wonderful talented people in this community, I wouldn't be able to put custom content in my video journal, so THANK YOU!!

TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe are the components used in this tutorial to unpack tpf files. A link is available on this site at http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18332. Look under the Utililities section toward the bottom.

TPFextractGUI.exe is a simple GUI for TPFextract.exe. Much like Calhoupe's Scripts and TexMod, TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe are simple executable applications which don't require any installation and require negligible resources and time to use.

Instructions

1. Following the dowload link above, you'll want to unzip at least the two .exe components, TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exe, to the same filder on your hard drive. Wherever you would like it to be.
2. Now that TPFextract.exe and TPFextractGUI.exeare together in the same directory, Run TPFextractGUI.exe.
3. TPFextractGUI.exe will open. It is a very basic GUI, with a few bottoms labeled "Browse" and "Extract". Select "Browse" in order to choose the .tpf on your hard drive which you would like to extract, or "unpack", the contents of. when you have chosen your .tpf you will see its contents listed for you on the screen.
4. If the files listed are the ones you desire to extract (unpack), click "Extract" now. You will be asked where the contents should be extracted to on you hard drive.

This is very cool, eurocat....nice work.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:I need to start this out by saying that no one should be unpacking a tpf without permission to do so from the creator of the tpf. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that credit needs to be given to the creator of a tpf should you decide to use part of there tpf in your tpf. Its only right to do so! If it weren't for all the wonderful talented people in this community, I wouldn't be able to put custom content in my video journal, so THANK YOU!!

Instructions

Thanks eurocat!!! This is really helpful :D

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:11 pm

My Dying Light Bear Arms mod was recently stolen/reposted on Nexus mods again, at least the third time it's happened (just on that site, it's been posted on at least two other mod sites as well). One of the moderators notified me via PM (forwarded to my email) and asked me to confirm if I had given permissions. I hadn't. Sigh.

I would venture an opinion that anyone who uses textures from a tpf should not only credit the original creator/author, but should most definitely ask for permission BEFORE doing so first. And wait for a reply of course.

I've seen my work (specifically the monopod machine gun in Dying Light) featured (completely uncredited) in a monetized video that had views in the hundreds of thousands (at the time when it was only a month old)... Kind of annoying to say the least. I mean, there were at least two comments that I saw in the comments section that linked to my mod on nexus (ok, cool, I thought)... unfortunately there was another that linked to my mod on a different site that was stolen with no credit given to me (uploader on that site actually claimed credit for it and specifically stated no permissions to reuse or repost, kind of ironic really).

How did I know it was mine?

Code: Select all

//watermarked my username in several places within the file's code.
Too lazy to even bother removing the tags in the code.

Just a reminder to everyone, always ask permission first.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 pm

trey31 wrote:

My Dying Light Bear Arms mod was recently stolen/reposted on Nexus mods again, at least the third time it's happened (just on that site, it's been posted on at least two other mod sites as well). One of the moderators notified me via PM (forwarded to my email) and asked me to confirm if I had given permissions. I hadn't. Sigh.

I would venture an opinion that anyone who uses textures from a tpf should not only credit the original creator/author, but should most definitely ask for permission BEFORE doing so first. And wait for a reply of course.

I've seen my work (specifically the monopod machine gun in Dying Light) featured (completely uncredited) in a monetized video that had views in the hundreds of thousands (at the time when it was only a month old)... Kind of annoying to say the least. I mean, there were at least two comments that I saw in the comments section that linked to my mod on nexus (ok, cool, I thought)... unfortunately there was another that linked to my mod on a different site that was stolen with no credit given to me (uploader on that site actually claimed credit for it and specifically stated no permissions to reuse or repost, kind of ironic really).

How did I know it was mine?

Code: Select all

//watermarked my username in several places within the file's code.
Too lazy to even bother removing the tags in the code.

Just a reminder to everyone, always ask permission first.

I really despise lying. That's shady to steal someone's work, then be like - "look what I made!!! Isn't it awesome? By the way, no one can use it without my permission." scum-bag

Me personally, I don't care.
Any work that I post becomes property of who ever downloads it.
I simply don't want to think about it, or worry about it.

That being said, I am 100% in agreement with your guys' points of view, as well as the rules of this site.
The creator of the files should have ultimate say in how they are used.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:06 pm

1312qohelet wrote:I really despise lying. That's shady to steal someone's work, then be like - "look what I made!!! Isn't it awesome? By the way, no one can use it without my permission." scum-bag

My thoughts exactly.

1312qohelet wrote:Me personally, I don't care.

That being said, I am 100% in agreement with your guys' points of view, as well as the rules of this site.

Agreed. I couldn't care less if someone modifies something I did and uses it strictly for themselves. I say awesome. Go you.

However, don't post it and take credit if you didn't spend the 100+ hours adjusting the monopod-to-hand location, tweaking the firing animation, and (ugh) adjusting the iron sights with no reference point in-game to use as a starting guide... Even if you did spend an hour changing the texture color on it or something, it's not yours to post (and especially take credit for).

All that said, I never really made a fuss about the mod being stolen. It happens. Happened with my Doom mods in the 90's even. But I'd hate to see that sort of thing within this community, considering how small we are at this point. I really hate infighting, especially when someone did something they shouldn't have and everyone knows it.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat May 27, 2017 3:13 pm

trey31 wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:I really despise lying. That's shady to steal someone's work, then be like - "look what I made!!! Isn't it awesome? By the way, no one can use it without my permission." scum-bag

My thoughts exactly.

1312qohelet wrote:Me personally, I don't care.

Agreed. I couldn't care less if someone modifies something I did and uses it strictly for themselves. I say awesome. Go you.

However, don't post it and take credit if you didn't spend the 100+ hours adjusting the monopod-to-hand location, tweaking the firing animation, and (ugh) adjusting the iron sights with no reference point in-game to use as a starting guide... Even if you did spend an hour changing the texture color on it or something, it's not yours to post (and especially take credit for).

All that said, I never really made a fuss about the mod being stolen. It happens. Happened with my Doom mods in the 90's even. But I'd hate to see that sort of thing within this community, considering how small we are at this point. I really hate infighting, especially when someone did something they shouldn't have and everyone knows it.

I can dig that.
This community and all of it's members do a fantastic job of maintaining a creative environment.

After stuff like that happened, I bet you didn't even want to share your work on those forums any more....that's how I would probably feel, anyways.

Return to “Graphics”