DAT-based cleats ('60s throwbacks?)

trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: DAT-based custom cleats (All systems go...)

Postby trey31 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:12 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:Awesome work on these, glad someone is "cracking the code" on the shoes. Cant wait to try modifying some based on your info.

And pay no mind to the impatient people, some of them just lack the appreciation of the time and details that this kind of stuff takes.

I have well over 100+ hours in editing/creating/testing HD crowds, arm textures, hand textures, and 2K17 cyberfaces. That isn't counting the time spent trying to learn about 3D modeling, Wavefront OBJ formats, TMDLs, and trying to extract stuff from X360 Madden and NBA 2K game files.

Money cannot buy time, but time has many cost associations.

I appreciate all the time this community dedicates to Madden.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Sleeper66 wrote:Regarding the question about sock height, you can edit shoe palettes to create a single sock color (this has been known for a while):

Yea solid socks look 10x better, just wish it could look more like this
Attachments
tbs.png
tbs.png (187.51 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sleeper66
All-Pro

Postby Sleeper66 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:Awesome work on these, glad someone is "cracking the code" on the shoes. Cant wait to try modifying some based on your info.

And pay no mind to the impatient people, some of them just lack the appreciation of the time and details that this kind of stuff takes.

Thanks. I've spent enough time on this site (and on the planet) to know that some people just have to be tuned out.

trey31 wrote:Yea solid socks look 10x better, just wish it could look more like this

The only way to do it would involve sacrificing taped shoes. The bitmap for that PLADATA part could be modified to pull colors from the shoe palette's tape section, which would allow you to have options like a short white sock, a short black sock, and a solid sock.

I prefer the "spats" look (old school), but I'm 90% sure what I've described above can be done.

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am

trey31 wrote:

I have well over 100+ hours in editing/creating/testing HD crowds, arm textures, hand textures, and 2K17 cyberfaces. That isn't counting the time spent trying to learn about 3D modeling, Wavefront OBJ formats, TMDLs, and trying to extract stuff from X360 Madden and NBA 2K game files.

Money cannot buy time, but time has many cost associations.

I appreciate all the time this community dedicates to Madden.

I hope you didnt think my statement was directed at you. Trust me you're one of the people we need around here, an "explorer", someone who looks outside the box.

Sleeper66
All-Pro

Postby Sleeper66 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm

I tested the low-sock shoe, which works, but the tape shape is evident. If someone can copy the regular shoe texture to the taped shoe (similar to the way the elbow bump was removed), this could be an option.

I did a few more PLADATA edits, on elbow pads/braces and gloves:

how to upload image on internet

I tried more elaborate elbow pad designs, but the 3d model warping is crazy there.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 am

Sleeper66 wrote:I tested the low-sock shoe, which works, but the tape shape is evident. If someone can copy the regular shoe texture to the taped shoe (similar to the way the elbow bump was removed), this could be an option.

I like your style, sleeper.

mee was the person, who removed the elbow-pad texture, which opened the door for my equipment mods.
I am not 100%, but I seem to remember he did this by editing the TMdl for the elbow pads.

If you already know this; sorry for repeating info.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

cyclone2426 wrote:I hope you didnt think my statement was directed at you. Trust me you're one of the people we need around here, an "explorer", someone who looks outside the box.

Not at all. Was just stating that it takes a lot of time (which isn't free, there is always an opportunity cost when it comes to time spent) to figure out how to change things in game files in a favorable or desirable way.

And that I appreciate the people contributing to this community.

And you should see the comments section of non-Madden mods on other sites and what some people have to say in those. "Why it no work wtf man fix this s***" followed by a PM 6 minutes later "Idk why you ignore me but your mod dont work right fix it"

Uh, yea. I'll get right on that... :roll:

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 am

Sleeper66 wrote:I tested the low-sock shoe, which works, but the tape shape is evident. If someone can copy the regular shoe texture to the taped shoe (similar to the way the elbow bump was removed), this could be an option.

I did a few more PLADATA edits, on elbow pads/braces and gloves:

I tried more elaborate elbow pad designs, but the 3d model warping is crazy there.

It's crazy everywhere on the arm model lol. I had to use a color-coded test pattern with number and letter markers to figure out the arm texture locations.
Spoiler:
It's because they used basic square-shaped textures for non-square shaped 3D models. There are some PS2 games being modded via TexMod, Umod, and PCSX2 that have more much more complex models and textures than M08. And comparing M17 to NBA 2K17, it's apparent that EA is still 5+ years behind the curve on modeling and textures.

Sleeper66
All-Pro

Postby Sleeper66 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 pm

1312qohelet wrote:I like your style, sleeper.

mee was the person, who removed the elbow-pad texture, which opened the door for my equipment mods.
I am not 100%, but I seem to remember he did this by editing the TMdl for the elbow pads.

If you already know this; sorry for repeating info.

Thanks much. I did know about mee's work, and used it to do the elbow pad mods pictured above. No apologies necessary, since there might be someone who reads this thread and didn't know.

My short sock idea depends on a couple of (possible) longshots: using the elbow bump method on shoes, and the 3d model and palettes not being tied together. If they're connected, the short sock options are limited to palette editing, and getting a decent look from that would be really hard.

trey31 wrote:It's crazy everywhere on the arm model lol. I had to use a color-coded test pattern with number and letter markers to figure out the arm texture locations. It's because they used basic square-shaped textures for non-square shaped 3D models. There are some PS2 games being modded via TexMod, Umod, and PCSX2 that have more much more complex models and textures than M08. And comparing M17 to NBA 2K17, it's apparent that EA is still 5+ years behind the curve on modeling and textures.

Any time I edit default Madden stuff I find myself wondering what they were thinking. Some of it may be due to technical limitations, but there's a lot of stuff (stadiums especially) where it just seems rushed/shoddy.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Sleeper66 wrote:Any time I edit default Madden stuff I find myself wondering what they were thinking. Some of it may be due to technical limitations, but there's a lot of stuff (stadiums especially) where it just seems rushed/shoddy.

Imo, the technical limitations are the same ones from 1999-2000 when they were putting together Madden 2001 for PS2. I popped 2001 in my PS2 a few years ago and was surprised to see it was 90% the same game as Madden 2012 on PS2. The only thing that changed was more face textures/portraits and different UI menus. Otherwise they're mostly the same game... player animations, models, textures, playart, camera angles, crowds, etc. 11 years and it was still mostly the same product.

Return to “Graphics”