Madden 08 MasterEffect + ReShade

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Re: Madden 08 MasterEffect + ReShade

Postby ChalupaBatman » Sat May 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Gave it a shot, and the newer version worked fine for me (the one at reshade.me). I just followed the prompts, let it download the standard effects and then launched the game via texmod and it worked fine (I'm running windows 7 if anyone is wondering). There is some interesting stuff in there, but I only ended up using 4 of the effects:

Adaptive Fog (which made things a bit more clear [left at default])
Clarity (which further improved clarity [left at default])
MXAO (which added ambient occlusion, which basically makes lighting/shadows more realistic based on the geometry [set to 1.5])
SMAA (which is a form of anti-aliasing, which smooths out jagged edges [left at default])

Here's some screenshots of the effect:

Off:

On:

Spoiler:
Comparison 1:

Comparison 2:

Close up:

Now, with all the effects installed, it increased load times by quite a bit. It added a solid 20-30 seconds to the normally instant load time of both the menu screen and a game. You can bring this down however, by removing any effects you wont be using. They are located in your madden install folder (generally: program files\EA Sports\Madden 08) in the folder: reshade-shaders\Shaders. I simply created a new folder called "Shader Backup" and moved all the effects I didn't want into that folder, just in case I wanted to use them down the road (make sure you leave ReShade.fxh in the Shaders folder though, or you will get errors). I then opened MaddenShaderPreset1.ini (or whatever you named your preset file while setting up reshade) and removed all references to the effects I wasn't using, leaving me with this:

After that, the game loaded much quicker. Here's some screen shots of the reshade menu before and after I removed the 40 or so unwanted effects:

Spoiler:
Before:

After:

After some tweaking, it works well and has minimal performance impact (my computer isn't particularly beefy, I'm running an old 2500K, a GTX 970 and 16GB of DDR3 ram). One nice thing I noticed, was that the Anti-Aliasing has less impact on menus and overlays than using NVIDIA Control Panel, and has the added benefit of a toggle key to turn the effects on and off. All in all, I'd say give it a try :)
Bear Down.

Sponsor

Sponsor

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:Gave it a shot, and the newer version worked fine for me (the one at reshade.me). I just followed the prompts, let it download the standard effects and then launched the game via texmod and it worked fine (I'm running windows 7 if anyone is wondering). There is some interesting stuff in there, but I only ended up using 4 of the effects:

Adaptive Fog (which made things a bit more clear [left at default])
Clarity (which further improved clarity [left at default])
MXAO (which added ambient occlusion, which basically makes lighting/shadows more realistic based on the geometry [set to 1.5])
SMAA (which is a form of anti-aliasing, which smooths out jagged edges [left at default])

Here's some screenshots of the effect:

Spoiler:
Off:

On:

Comparison 1:

Comparison 2:

Close up:
Now, with all the effects installed, it increased load times by quite a bit. It added a solid 20-30 seconds to the normally instant load time of both the menu screen and a game. You can bring this down however, by removing any effects you wont be using. They are located in your madden install folder (generally: program files\EA Sports\Madden 08) in the folder: reshade-shaders\Shaders. I simply created a new folder called "Shader Backup" and moved all the effects I didn't want into that folder, just in case I wanted to use them down the road (make sure you leave ReShade.fxh in the Shaders folder though, or you will get errors). I then opened MaddenShaderPreset1.ini (or whatever you named your preset file while setting up reshade) and removed all references to the effects I wasn't using, leaving me with this:

Spoiler:
After that, the game loaded much quicker. Here's some screen shots of the reshade menu before and after I removed the 40 or so unwanted effects:

Spoiler:
Before:

After:
After some tweaking, it works well and has minimal performance impact (my computer isn't particularly beefy, I'm running an old 2500K, a GTX 970 and 16GB of DDR3 ram). One nice thing I noticed, was that the Anti-Aliasing has less impact on menus and overlays than using NVIDIA Control Panel, and has the added benefit of a toggle key to turn the effects on and off. All in all, I'd say give it a try :)

This is great. I just learned everything I wanted to know about this utility without ever having to try it myself. 8-)

One thing is for sure: The crowds look way better with the MasterEffect + ReShade thing.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:Comparison 2:

Looks much better. Much more HDR effect than OG Madden.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

ChalupaBatman
Veteran

Postby ChalupaBatman » Tue May 30, 2017 3:37 pm

trey31 wrote:

Looks much better. Much more HDR effect than OG Madden.

Bear Down.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm

ChalupaBatman wrote:Image

Penguins have an organ above their eyes that converts seawater into freshwater.

Go team Venture!
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

BRATBUSTER
Rookie

Postby BRATBUSTER » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing. Using in game now, much improved graphics.
It's on by default when you start the game.

33teams
Pro Bowl

Postby 33teams » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Why does the game jump?

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:38 pm

33teams wrote:Why does the game jump?

Your computer must not be strong enough to handle the shaders.

33teams
Pro Bowl

Postby 33teams » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Why does the game stop with master effect+reshade?

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:57 am

I decided to reinstall this and for some reason, now I'm getting an Application Error 0xc0000005 when I attempt to start Madden with ReShade.

This didn't happen earlier in the year when I used this...
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics”