pick6's "BETTER MIDFIELDS" (tutorial & template)

fedegb93
Rookie

Re: pick6's "BETTER MIDFIELDS" (tutorial & template)

Postby fedegb93 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 am

mee wrote:1. Did u save as a png or dds?
2.No clue
3. It should... Did u edit your TEAM table in your roster? You should see Bengals Midfield in Packers place b4 texmod, after packers in Bengals as well as Packers.

1. I tried both formats
2,3.Something I'm doing wrong but nose still thing(I'll keep trying)

Sponsor

Sponsor

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:13 am

fedegb93 wrote:I have problems:

1- transparency is not seen
2- The size does not match me with the lines (use your tamplate TrueTurf v5 NFL)
3- The Green Bay Packers logo appears in the midfield Bengals

fedegb93:
1) I think you are talking about the white field lines not showing through the yellow. I had this same problem when I made my GB midfield a few months ago, and all I can say is I think it must be something to do with these particular colors in Madden (white/yellow).
2) Your midfield was much too small in the first screenshot, and still slightly too small in the second screenshot. In Paint.Net, paste your large logo onto a new layer in my midfield template. Then hold down SHIFT, and drag a corner inwards. This keeps the correct shape. When you get it to the correct size, look at the "Bounding rectangle size" numbers at the bottom-left of the screen, and write them down. Delete this layer, and go back to your large logo again. Go to Image -> Resize, and enter in those numbers for a better type of resizing. Paste onto new layer in template and it should fit perfectly.
3) If you have changed the TMFL value for the Packers to 1, then the Packers midfield will display the leaping tiger when TexMod is not used. This is normal and to be expected. Just make sure you exit Madden AND TexMod before using the Bengals stadium, or that Packers logo will appear for any other teams that use the TMFL=1 leaping tiger placeholder.

Try again, and let me know if you get stuck. You're actually real close! :D

fedegb93
Rookie

Postby fedegb93 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:28 pm

A do you mean the part that say "Download my" large midfield template "from the bottom of this post"?

Because I use the template of TrueTurf field as a guide to midfield, but the lines in the game do not match.

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Screenshots and download link in first post have now been fixed.
Also added wide NCAA lines to template (v2).
For info on my current status, see HERE

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 am

Hey pick, you know your ACC logo on the Clemson field, the one at the 25-ish yard lines? How did you resize those?

I've only been able to find a tutorial on choosing whether that small logo appears or not. I haven't yet found anything regarding resizing it.

What I'd like to do is resize this graphic so that it is roughly the same size as the real life one:

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 am

First off, my FieldBuilder framework does allow for different sizes and placement of NCAA & NFL logos, but not that particular one as-is. Looking at your screenshot, the NFL shield is on the 25yd line as usual, although closer to the sideline than regular NFL shield placement. However, the wording then extends from there to the right, crossing the 20yd line. I'd guess that at the the other end of the field the shield would also be on the 25yd line, but the wording would this time continue towards midfield, crossing the 30yd line instead. So that means that you won't get both shields lined up on the 25yd line using any of my 25yd placeholders.

It would be possible to have a compromise by having the whole "shield-play-football" centered on the 25yd line instead, extending from 30-20 and 20-30. But with that, you'd need to create a new placeholder in the correct location, which involves hex editing the TMdl of one of my NCAA placeholders to move it further in towards the sidelines. Hex editing involves a bit of a learning curve, but it's do-able once you know how. Unfortunately I have my hands full at the moment, and ultimately it would only be a compromise anyway.

HOWEVER, there is a much better way using my FieldBuilder, which involves setting the midfield TMFL value to 107 instead. This uses a massive area for the midfield logo that actually covers the entire field. Therefore the canvas size for the "midfield" image would need to be much much larger, and contain the two 25yd logos as well as the regular midfield logo, plus lots of transparent space around it. This would work and should look great, but it would be time-consuming lining everything up correct. Dimensions should be 2:1 for this, and you'd need to use dimensions of around 4000x2000 to maintain the same level of detail as if it were painted directly onto the field. (You heard me right!) However, the overall file size would still only be tiny (kb) due to all the transparency around it. I wouldn't expect any extra lag in-game from using it like this, but I haven't tested it. Intriguing though, and the reason why I included TMFL 107 in the first place! Do it, do it, do it! :D

The only other way would be to use BelieverInTeal's "full field" method, where you paint everything on to one field, but the trade-off is that the dimensions of the midfield, endzones, and field itself are lower. I think he has a thread elsewhere with more on that.

If it were me, I'd definitely explore the TMFL 107 as it should give great results! :D I never had a need for it yet though, and I was kinda hoping someone would make a template out of it, with correct markers for the 3 components. If I didn't already have my hands full... :(

EDIT: I spent about 20 mins making a rough template (Paint.NET and Photoshop). Place your two 25yd logos and midfield in the right places, and save the project file preserving the layers (.pdn for Paint.NET). Then uncheck the lower field layer, and save the higher layer with just the 3 logos, plus transparency around it (as .png). Test in-game and re-position as necessary. I might come back to this when I've more time. In the meantime, good luck!

Download TMFL 107 rough guide here: [link dead, sorry]

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 pm

pick6 wrote:The only other way would be to use BelieverInTeal's "full field" method, where you paint everything on to one field, but the trade-off is that the dimensions of the midfield, endzones, and field itself are lower. I think he has a thread elsewhere with more on that.

Not if your gonna use texmod anyway. That ST35 can handle transparency anyway so it wouldn't matter. If you look at my super bowl 50 field, I used his method for the SB50 logos and the painted team boxes. So you can have a 512x512 midfield, a 1400x256 endzone, a Truetruf sized field AND still use his ST35 field as a placeholder to be over written in texmod with the ST35 logos and a lot of transparency..
So the Giants traded Beckham....

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:14 pm

And that's just part of the reason I love TexMod so much; you just can't do the same things with .dat-based graphics.

I don't think my size 7 midfield reaches back fully to the back of the player area though (which would be ideal) so it sounds like BIT's ST35 field would work as a placeholder for SB player area's just fine. However I deliberately made my size 7 midfield only extend 10yds past sidelines and 13yds past end lines as I had found that the outer edges of the field are stretched to cover more floor surface in stadiums that have more gap between the wall wrap and the sidelines. I wanted to avoid any stretching or warping but it makes sense that the cut-off point is gonna be well-beyond the field lines. I might update my size 7 mid at some point and make it use the field TMdl instead...

Thanks for that mee. :)

EDIT: I've just remembered why I didn't do that; the default field at 1024x1024 is subject to stretching in-game from sideline to sideline, and so the full field at 2048x1024 is therefore also subject to stretching, sideline to sideline. If you use that field as a template, then any logos placed on it it won't look the same in-game (an SEC logo won't look circular for example, unless squashed vertically first.) I chose 10yds past the sidelines and 13-and-a-bit yds past the endlines so that dimensions of 2:1 could be maintained, meaning anything drawn in the size 7 midfield will look exactly the same in-game. The outer limits just need to be extended a bit more so that it completely covers the player area, and then it's got a new lease of life.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:53 am

So I'm finally getting around to wanting to use DB editing to do some of the cool stuff that pick6 has come up with an set out in his tutorial... however, I cannot seem to find a download link that isn't broken for a DB editor. Also, it seems like there are multiple versions out there and I'm wondering which is best? If anyone can point me to a link that works (I've looked everywhere, including here:http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18332), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm delighted you're trying new stuff! :D

This is the version that I use, without any issues. I've uploaded it to my onedrive for safekeeping, and have also linked to it from the "Files?" thread. Download it here: Madden_DB_Editor v3.0.zip

Return to “Graphics”