ALPHA BLENDING DECALS TUTORIAL

NICK
All-Pro

Re: ALPHA BLENDING DECALS TUTORIAL

Postby NICK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 pm

With your color palette box open, you can click on the color picker and click on the first color in the palette and your background will disappear. This is for inspection only, so when you close the image if it asks for you to save the image click no or just close out the image without saving.

During inspection, you are looking for transparent pixels that may have been put by the program in the main portion of your image .... as you can see, even though we took precautions to avoid this, the second image in this thread box shows where photoshop somehow put 4 transparent pixels in the main portion of our image during a save process .... don't know why this happens. If you see these .... try it in game and see if it is noticeable .... if it is then you have to start over at the beginning of creating your image and palette. If it is not noticeable in game, your image is ready for import into a uniform with the Dat Editor Extreme utility or simply called DEX. In this case, the 4 transparent pixels were not visible in game as the images at the beginning of this tutorial demonstrates.

This is the end of this tutorial .... hope you have great results if you choose to do alpha blended images.

JOHN 3:16

Sponsor

Sponsor

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 pm

RESERVED

Tutorial is open for Questions or comments :D :D :D

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Outstanding work NICK. You have now mastered Numbers and Decals. Now...how about that nasty "Nameplate" ? :o

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 am

slydways wrote:Outstanding work NICK. You have now mastered Numbers and Decals. Now...how about that nasty "Nameplate" ? :o

Thanks Sly .... the nameplate same way except you would drag the mouse less slots between raw colors cuz you can only have 16 colors total in the nameplate.

For Two colored nameplate
Color slot 1 is background color, Color slot 8 would be your letter border color. Color slot 8 thru 16 would be Letter border color to letter color. Your hex edits would be like this:

Alpha values
Color slot
1: 00 - background color
2: 33
3: 55
4: 77
5: 99
6: BB
7: DD
8: FF - Letter border color / the hex value for this color would also be put in color slots 1 thru 7.
9 thru 16: FF / this would be the blending colors to the letter color

Single colored nameplate would be the same as a single colored number / Color slot 1 = background color / color slots 2 thru 15 blenders / color slot 16 = letter color
Alpha values would be the exact same for a decal or number for color slots 1 thru 16

For a three colored nameplate

Color slot 1 = background color, color slots 2 thru 5 = blenders, color slot 6 = outer border color, color slot 7 thru 11 = blenders, color slot 12 = inner border color, color slots 13 thru 15 = blenders, color slot 16 = letter color.

Hex edits would be:
color slots 1 thru 5 would match hex value for color slot 6

alpha values
color slots:
1:00
2:33
3:66
4:99
5:CC

slots 6 thru 16: FF

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:31 am

Thank you NICK... you are the MAN... You dig deeper , and deeper , and deeper , than anyone else...to get to the heart and core or modding. Your contributions to this community have been enormous ...and will never be forgotten. Thank you , my friend. :)

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:39 am

slydways wrote:Thank you NICK... you are the MAN... You dig deeper , and deeper , and deeper , than anyone else...to get to the heart and core or modding. Your contributions to this community have been enormous ...and will never be forgotten. Thank you , my friend. :)

You give me too much credit Sly ... I thank you ..... I lucked out by finding the way to force colors into a palette in photoshop without having to spend a week doing it. If it wasn't for that lucky break, I still would not be able to do the graphics the way madden did them without great difficulty ...... which reminds me of a statement you made early on in our correspondence .... you said something to the effect .... the graphics were made with photoshop and we need to learn photoshop and figure out how they were done ...... you were one hundred and ten percent spot on my friend ..... thanks for redirecting my attention to the program. :D :D :D

7rickwilliams

Postby 7rickwilliams » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 am

Outstanding work NICK , Thank you.

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:55 pm

So, I've been attempting do to this for my retro 49ers logo without any success.

After making a 96 color palette with all the colors backwards and forwards, I then saved as dds (4 mipmaps) and did the hex editing. After opening up the DAT file in DEX from the UIS_LIB_TEAM_LOGOS.dat, I then uploaded my dds file and saved it. I used DFR to replace the file and saved it. Once I go the the team selection part, I get just a blank white square. Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.45.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.45.58 PM.png (279.78 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.46.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.46.53 PM.png (104.82 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.49.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 12.49.54 PM.png (128.68 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

theDude47
Pro Bowl

Postby theDude47 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:25 am

So, I figured out the problem.

1. After hex editing the DDS file, open it up in Photoshop
2. Save the logo as a bitmap file
3. Upload it back into the DAT using MUER (make sure that the boxes saying the replacement bitmap palette is replacing the previous one and that the first color in the palette is transparent are checked)

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:01 am

I put the images back in this thread.

Return to “Graphics”