ALPHA BLENDING DECALS TUTORIAL

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Re: ALPHA BLENDING DECALS TUTORIAL

Postby elguapo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 am

Good to see you around here again.

Thank you for updating these valuable and informative tutorials. These tutorials need to be pinned on top

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:24 pm

elguapo wrote:Good to see you around here again.

Thank you for updating these valuable and informative tutorials. These tutorials need to be pinned on top

I second that

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you Sir

I had the tutorials in html format complete with all of the pics, but I could not post all of them in a file due to size limitations. Found a free image site like what I had at image shack and pulled the pictures out of mothballs. New information in a file posted in the other tutorial.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=15811

With the release of Madden 19, I started to feel a mod itch come on, but at the moment I can't do anything about that. I never replaced my computer, so I would have to get my old rig out of the garage where it has sat for the last 4 years after it died, and upgrade it significantly to be able to run Madden 19.

I am so out of touch with computer hardware and such, so I'm kinda lost. I read the recommended specs for 19 and have been trying to find what I need to include the recommended graphics card for madden 19 without going over $600.00 ...... so far it's been a tough search.

Anyway, good to hear from y'all. I check the boards from time to time as a guest and I must say I have missed being in the groove with y'all.

The progress that has been made is quite spectacular.

1312qohelet wrote:

I second that

Thanks Q ... you are the master of the uniform mods Sir.
JOHN 3:16

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:52 pm

theDude47 wrote:So, I figured out the problem.

1. After hex editing the DDS file, open it up in Photoshop
2. Save the logo as a bitmap file
3. Upload it back into the DAT using MUER (make sure that the boxes saying the replacement bitmap palette is replacing the previous one and that the first color in the palette is transparent are checked)

That will not work, once you save the image as a bitmap all of your alpha value hex settings are gone.

Why it didn't show up after DEX import, I don't know ..... would have to look at the file.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 am

NICK wrote:
Thanks Q ... you are the master of the uniform mods Sir.

Well, thank you for the kind words. That means a TON coming from you.

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

No offense, but you can honestly achieve this a lot easier with just a correctly created alpha channel and saving it as a DDS, no need to touch a color table or hex editor. The only time you really have to nail down the color table and hex edit is when its a shared palette (like numbers, as you obviously know), but when its a standalone graphic with its own palette then all of this is kind of extraneous. Just my opinion though.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:No offense, but you can honestly achieve this a lot easier with just a correctly created alpha channel and saving it as a DDS, no need to touch a color table or hex editor. The only time you really have to nail down the color table and hex edit is when its a shared palette (like numbers, as you obviously know), but when its a standalone graphic with its own palette then all of this is kind of extraneous. Just my opinion though.

Probably so, but over the years in getting mixed results with the dds plugin and the complications of trying to do what you have stated in CS2, we resorted to palette blending our images. I used this technique so I have control over the layout of the palette and not the plugin. Comes in handy if you want to change the colors in the graphic or control the degree of transparency, But you are correct. Until Elguapo figured out his way of doing the numbers in one image to set up the alpha channels and palette we didn't know any better. Stingray68 tried to tell me numerous times on how to set up an alpha channel, but putting it into practice in CS2 was difficult for me and I assumed others also. For that reason I set up the tutorials the way I did.
Building a palette can come in handy for number sets that use similarly layed out palettes or using a number palette to also do the nameplate. Approximately 7 to 8 years of alot of trial and error. Anyway, that's pretty much why I did it that way. Wish I could have talked with you way back when, we might have been able to save a lot of time, effort, and heartache.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am

I remember going over your tutorial on numbers NICK amd the only drawback was entering the numbers with MUER. As a matter of fact the first FF mod I worked on was based on your numbers tutorial.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm

elguapo wrote:I remember going over your tutorial on numbers NICK amd the only drawback was entering the numbers with MUER. As a matter of fact the first FF mod I worked on was based on your numbers tutorial.

Yes the MUER part killed me also, all those number imports 90 of them when in reality we only had to do 30 or 32.
After doing 350 plus uniforms that got old after awhile. Setting up the numbers always took the longest.

Nowadays getting past the warping issues with all of the different uniform and helmet designs is the hardest part.

Return to “Graphics”