MORPHING AND ALPHA BLENDING NUMBERS - Updated 1/22/14

NICK
All-Pro

Re: MORPHING AND ALPHA BLENDING NUMBERS - Updated 1/22/14

Postby NICK » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am

NICK wrote:Found a glitch .... posted what to do in red letters in a couple of the threads to avoid the glitch.

Sorry if this caused any problems for anyone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can't seem to get around this glitch so far ..... as the hex conversion does not carry over all of the way for all sets of numbers. The default size number will be fine, but the mipmaps will develop a situation where the background portion that is suppose to be transparent will extend to and touch the borders of the images causing white out, black out, and ghost images when the game camera is zoomed out. In order to avoid this, the images will have to built in bmp at 64 x 128, 32 x 64, and 16 x 32 with the palettes set up according to this tutorial and then imported into a uniform using MUER. Then to get alpha blending, a number will have to be exported from the same uniform with DEX, hex edit the extracted number, and then re-import back into the uniform with DEX .... so the import process is not going to be any quicker for the first import of a set of numbers into a uniform.

When I did this tutorial, I did not have any of these issues for the eagles uniforms or the cowboys uniforms that I experimented with. The eagles being a 4 colored number template and the cowboys a two colored number template worked fine, so I figured the method was foolproof for all of the different sets. The problem is the conversion from bmp to dds during the save process and the plugin is not doing this correctly for all of the mipmaps .... some of them are fine, and then some are not .... hit and miss on the conversion which I have no control over.

I am not happy about this and once again the dds plugin is the culprit and does its own thing. I'll try playing with the plugin mipmap fade settings and see what happens .... maybe there is still a solution to be found. Bottom Line .... we can have alpha blended numbers, but it will not be as simple as I originally thought.

SO, set up your numbers in bmp the old palette blending way, but set up your palettes like I demonstrate in the tutorial to get your specified raw and blending colors. Then import into MUER ..... you will have palette blended numbers.

For alpha blended, do what I just said a few lines above regarding hex edit and using DEX.
JOHN 3:16

Sponsor

Sponsor

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 am

Nick...Have you tried Photoshop anymore or searched for ways to blend the edges of images in Ps so that the Hex way is no longer needed? Or do you feel that the most accurate and complete blending only comes from Hex editing?

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 am

slydways wrote:Nick...Have you tried Photoshop anymore or searched for ways to blend the edges of images in Ps so that the Hex way is no longer needed? Or do you feel that the most accurate and complete blending only comes from Hex editing?

I am not having any luck using the blur technique that you found and have not found anything to palette blend with the new Nike jersey ...... the mesh pattern of the old jersey hid alot around the edges of the numbers when the lighting changed in the game. The palette will always be locked in for the rgb values of the colors so that is why there is such a contrast when the game lighting changes because the number cannot change the palette colors to continue to blend with the jersey background. This in my opinion is the reason why EA went with alpha blending because the number will always blend with the background whether the lighting is a constant or not .... so until I can come up with something else .... I think alpha blending is the best way to go. If we were using the original jersey with the mesh I would be for palette blending.

Elguapo thinks that the alpha blending can be done with your alpha muer editor because he says the alpha values are left alone during the save process, but I have not had a chance to look at that yet .... I have been too busy to do anything other than try and find out why there was a glitch with the hex edited numbers. I did find the solution to that though as of about 15 minutes ago. In my solution, all of the number templates were resized to the default and mipmapped sizes separately .... imported into a uniform with MUER. Then I exported a number with DEX, hex edited that number with the appropriate alpha values, and then re-imported back into the uniform with DEX ...... that fixed the issue because I took the dds plugin totally out of the equation.

GMG2014
All-Pro

Postby GMG2014 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:32 am

Dat file for all teams please

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 pm

GMG2014 wrote:Dat file for all teams please

This is not a thread for uniform releases. This thread is to help people in making their own. All of the uniforms will be updated in the FF mod, so download that when it comes out if you want uniforms.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

GMG2014
All-Pro

Postby GMG2014 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

can I get the files to the ones you changed please???

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 pm

The below image has my wife's computer graphic card settings maxed out. The Madden game settings are maxed out.

I have used my alpha blending settings on the sleeve logo and the jersey numbers. The jersey numbers are 8 bit at 128 x 256 with 4 mipmaps ... not the default 128 x 64 with three mipmaps.

I think what was causing the glitch was not cleaning up the mipmapped images and reimporting the mipmaps into the uniform via Muer in bmp format. If the image touches the border it causes problems. The nvidia plugin creates the mipmaps so they have to be cleaned up and then reimported in bmp format to keep the images from touching the border.

I used elguapo's technique of creating a number strip with all of the numbers together when resizing and setting up the palette or palettes and then selecting them individually to paste into a pre-sized index number template ....... I haven't had any issues in doing that...... thanks elguapo ..... you are awesome.

I would like to experiment some more with Sting's new editor that he was working on awhile back, but it is on my old hard drive. Everything I am working with now I have downloaded from this site. Some have suggested in turning my hard drive into a usb drive with cables that are available now to enable someone to do that ..... I don't trust some of that equipment and if it was to mess the drive up or cause it to crash ....... then I am out alot of important files. Some are backed up on other drives, but same problem until I can rebuild my computer.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 pm

NICK wrote:The jersey numbers are 8 bit at 128 x 256 with 4 mipmaps ... not the default 128 x 64 with three mipmaps.

is 128 x 256 the preferred size to make hd numbers? I'm trying to edit jersey numbers in texmod and I don't know what size to make them.

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:46 am

Austinmario wrote:
NICK wrote:The jersey numbers are 8 bit at 128 x 256 with 4 mipmaps ... not the default 128 x 64 with three mipmaps.

is 128 x 256 the preferred size to make hd numbers? I'm trying to edit jersey numbers in texmod and I don't know what size to make them.

I think 128 x 256 would be better for HD ........ I didn't use to think there was a big difference ...... but if you are able to run madden with your graphics card settings and game settings maxed out ..... then, yes I think there is a difference and the one size larger than the default looks better to me.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 am

Oh, I forgot to ask: what font size do I make the numbers?

Return to “Graphics”