OFFICIAL NFL LOGO SLICKS (logo, uni, number, color info)

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Logo slicks are .pdf files, released by the NFL for media organizations, that contain the information needed to reproduce a team's logo, colors, uniforms, and numbers. They are an invaluable resource to anyone with an interest in modding!

low resolution sample screenshot

DOWNLOAD LOGO SLICKS FOR ALL 32 TEAMS: HERE (new link, now hosted by Col.Trautman)
Also includes 12 older logo slicks that contain mainly Reeboks.

N.B. Be aware that if you click on a file and find that it opens in Microsoft's "Word Online", this won't show you all the pages of the .pdf, and also doesn't support zooming in to high resolutions. If this happens, right-click on a file instead, and then click "Download" to save the .pdf to your hard drive first, where you can then open it as usual.

IF YOU JUST WANT LOGO'S THOUGH, then I recommend you download my Hi-Resolution team logo's instead from here: pick6's Hi-Resolution team logo's v5.zip

These were all made from the logo slicks, but the colors are more accurate (logo slick colors are often way off!). 35 logo's in all, and at least 1000 pixels wide. These are the logo's that I used to make my Logo Mod v3, and which were later included in the FF XIV mod.

BACK TO THE LOGO SLICKS:
These files were originally part of larger zip files which were downloaded from
www.nflmedia.com/afc_north.zip, www.nflmedia.com/afc_south.zip etc., but these links are now dead.
For the record, these .zip files were rather large (averaging around 100 MB each) and contained other files such as .eps files too. However, the logo slick has everything in one place, and is only 3 or 4 MB instead. My link is to the logo slicks only.

DON'T TRUST THE LOGO SLICK COLOR INFO!!
Unfortunately the color is not as straightforward as you would first think. Each logo slick contains the main team logo (which they call the "primary mark") but also states that the actual colors displayed in it "are for reference only". There are also "process color specifications" for getting the exact color shade for different formats (and for modding, I understand that to mean using the hex value under "html / web"). HOWEVER, when you use those values, they often turn out noticeably darker than expected, and the "mark" colors often look more accurate (usually lighter).

But there seems to be no consistency regarding their use, as different versions are used throughout nfl.com, official team websites, and the media. The Seahawks' website has both light and dark versions displayed on different pages, the Saints' website has light and dark versions displayed on the SAME page, and the Falcons' website has a whole variety of reds, none of which really match up to either mark or html/web!

Example: Washington Redskins
Look at the following color tiles and decide which you think looks closest to their “burgundy”:
From left to right, they are:
html/web value on logo slick . . . . . . . . . . 119, 49, 65 . . . . . . 773141
“primary mark” on logo slick . . . . . . . . . . 150, 17, 60 . . . . . . 96113C
nfl.com, schedule page . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 102, 0, 0 . . . . . . . 660000
nfl.com, team page. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 121, 0, 46 . . . . . . 79002E
my own best guess . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90, 0, 12 . . . . . . 5A000C
original Madden 08 background color . . . . . 110, 0, 29 . . . . . . 6E001D

While some are better than others, I don't think anyone would say that the logo slick's OFFICIAL html/web value is anywhere close to real-life!
Additionally, the key point here is the total inconsistency in colors used across official platforms.

(For the record, Madden's original background color was pretty good but I think the Nike uni's are noticeably less purple-y now than the older Reeboks. See the in-game photo below to compare.)

Just so you know where I got these colors from, here are some originals:
From left to right across the top these images are:
tiles 2, 3, & 4 (primary mark, nfl.com schedule page, and nfl.com team page),
and below those is a screen-grab from redskins.com that has even more variations of red (but more "red" than "burgundy"), along with a photo of a redskins game that is most accurate of all. Compare that back up to the 6 color tiles above.

It's worth saying again that in many cases the "primary mark" color is more accurate than the html/web value (especially for lighter colors), and can be found just as common throughout the media.

pick6's hand-picked color process!
To make my "Hi-Resolution team logo's", I went through every single color from every different logo slick and compared them to images on each team's official website and nfl.com, and then hand-picked each color for exactness. I don't claim that it's perfect, but I do think it's much more accurate than using the html/web values alone.

I mainly used a combination of mark and html/web values, but I also referred to www.colorwerx.us aswell. (Colorwerx references over 7,000 professional team color sets, and over 2,300 collegiate color sets)
Later on, I also used thumstyx's awesome uniforms (from the FF XIV mod) as reference, so that some of my logo's would match his uni's better.

Good luck! :D

Sponsor

Sponsor

pick6
Hall of Fame

Re: OFFICIAL NFL LOGO SLICKS (logo, uni, number, color info)

Postby pick6 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 pm

N.B.
For the 2012 season, 4 teams opted out of the Nike "Flywire" collar (DAL, HOU, NE, & PIT).
Additionally, 5 teams opted out of the "Elite 51" transformation altogether & kept their original design (ATL, CAR, GB, OAK, & PHI).

EDIT: Dallas seemed to use the Flywire collar on their white jersey, but not the blue one. Typical Dallas. Not even gonna investigate further. Just thought I'd mention it.
(Fits right in though with their 3 variations of silver, 2 variations of blue, and 1 gray. Plus they have a "Cowboys" wordmark on the blue jersey, but not on the white one! AND that wordmark is a totally different style to their main "Cowboys" wordmark!! Keep moving folks; nothing to see here...)

Doovid184
Rookie

Postby Doovid184 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:53 pm

These are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 am

Doovid184 wrote:These are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

Hey, glad you like 'em! :D I think they're pretty cool too! I found the Seahawks one by accident over a month ago, and have been trying to find as many others as possible ever since then. Found a few older (Reebok) ones, but no other Nike ones until just last week. Kinda nice to have all the logo slicks in one place I reckon.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Fri May 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Thank! This information has already been useful in updating some field art.

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:47 am

elguapo wrote:Thank! This information has already been useful in updating some field art.

That's great elguapo; delighted to hear that! My hope is that this info will help keep this modding community going for a good while longer yet, especially with the new JAC, MIA, & MIN info.

Spread the word! :D

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:45 pm

I just want to bring to folks attention that I've updated the first post with some important info regarding the logo slicks color info, and why you just shouldn't trust it!
Come see and take the "Washington Redskins color test"! :D

(Yep, I've spent waaay too much time working on this; so glad the season will be starting soon! :shock: )

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Do you know if the same thing exists for NCAA teams?
Green Bay Packers, Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... =2&t=14773
Heisman 14 Add-on Team
AGL MOD: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15644

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm

packers316 wrote:Do you know if the same thing exists for NCAA teams?

I've no idea to be honest, but it would be great if they do. For the record, I found it incredibly difficult to come across these; I came across the first one completely by accident on the Seahawks media website (http://www.seahawksmedia.com), and then tried googling all different combinations for other teams. For example, I tried different combinations of "Jaguars media logo slick .pdf" etc but couldn't find anything. I did find some older Reebok logo slicks but not for all teams. Eventually after weeks of searching trying different teams each team, I eventually stumbled on a forum where the current links were posted. I imagine the links are not made readily available on the nflmedia.com website for a reason; kind of a closed club!

BTW, some NFL teams have a separate website for media info, whereas others have media info contained within the standard team website. Any site that is solely for the media is likely to be more promising I reckon. For googling, I suggest you start with "ncaa media slick .pdf" along with the name of a team, and take it from there. I tried googling web and images btw.

Good luck! ;)

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 pm

packers316 wrote:Do you know if the same thing exists for NCAA teams?

It depends. You can try googling the words "(school) brand sheet" or "(school) brand idenity" or "(school) official logo sheet" and you'll find one if and only if, the school publishes their sheet. Others make you pay for a license before you can download a sheet.

Unlike the NFL, each school owns their logos so they make their own decisions.

Return to “Graphics”