Defensive Player's AWR

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Defensive Player's AWR

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:18 am

Right now, I'm a bit upset at Madden's gameplay (Might end up playing All-Madden), so I decided to switch to team management only for a while. Something I constantly notice in every draft class is that player Awareness is, at max, the low 70s and, at least, the high 40s. This is not a problem for many Offensive positions (QBs need that low Awareness, they are getting used to NFL defenses compared to NCAA defenses. HBs are also getting used to NFL defenses and looking for the sure 4 yards instead of the big run. AWR seems to do nothing on WRs and TEs? Maybe Route Running? And the O-Linemen are getting used to the stunts, delayed blitz and different ways defenses bring pressure in the league), it doesn't seem right for defensive players. At times, teams manage to draft players that become instant starters in the league, and happen to be pretty good at it. The best example I have would be Patrick Peterson, who started as soon as the Cardinals drafted him, and you might notice he was pretty good since 2011. Thing is, if I tried to do that in 08 with the highest rated corners in the draft in the Wonderlic (MaddenAMP's measure for Awareness), the result would be that corner getting destroyed by most WRs in the game. It is understandable that you want to develop your players, but at times some players come into the league pro-ready. Madden doesn't seem to simulate that at least from what I've seen. Is there a way to have defensive pro-ready (80 or higher AWR) by default in the draft?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Defensive Player's AWR

Sponsor

Sponsor

LT #78
Pro Bowl

Re: Defensive Player's AWR

Postby LT #78 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 pm

If you want to look at it from a football realism standpoint, that's more of a gameplay issue than an issue with draft classes. Awareness shouldn't have as much of an effect on some positions as it does. Defensive line and defensive back are among the least cerebral positions in football. On the defensive line, you're attacking the football, or if you have contain on a play, then you're staying outside the football. It can be physically difficult since you have highly-trained 300lb rocket technicians trying to keep you from doing it, but it's not hard to visualize or remember.

A man-cover corner like Peterson is chasing a particular guy all over the field. Lack of experience makes a guy easier to fool with play-action or a double move, but athleticism and gross motor skills are a much bigger part of what you're doing. Madden should just program it so that if a DB has nominal awareness, then he can play man and he's not getting fooled by normal routes or most pump fakes. I think that's actually something older Maddens got mostly right in gameplay. They probably never got it right in simming, though.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Re: Defensive Player's AWR

Postby BUS36 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:32 am

I agree with the both of you ...BUT the Awareness factor is more than you think. As a rookie the AWR rating is low ( 70's) even if they are NFL ready. Because most college teams play about 10 different styles of defenses. Where most NFL teams may have up to 20-30 different combos. Also those players may have to adjust to different playing styles Man v Zone, Combo Man v Combo Zone, 2 or 3 High...it all depends on the DC style of scheme.
As for the comment that the Defense line and DBs just attack the ball..there is more to just attacking . AWR should go up as the player is on the team as a starter. Everything is based on experience..film study, recognition of play formations and game time situations. As a coach ..teams position coaches break down every play by each players position on every player is given a grade. College Football is starting more and more into that extensive breakdown that the NFL uses.
Here is something you may want to try.. watch next weeks games ( pick one)..and try to watch the plays and see what you can see..this helps if you turn the volume off( makes it more like watch game film). My wife questions me cause I can call 95% of all penalties before they throw the flag.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “Draft Classes”