Temporary player attribute changes before games

Temporary forum for the discussion of the Tuesday Morning project, to enhance the Madden 08 off-the-field experience.
torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Various factors, as tracked and simulated by the app, will make short-term performance adjustments. This will simulate things going on off the field, which aren't considered by the in-game Madden, but would be relevant factors in real-life football.

This was actually where my idea for this app initially began. My team was playing a team which included a running back we'd parted ways with the previous year. I thought to myself that if this were real life, there would be a lot of fanfare, and this player would come out pumped up in front of his old fans and teammates, would want to show that we made a mistake in dealing him away. I then thought that maybe it would be cool to write a small app which would track such things, as well as implementing a variation of the "off the field disciplinary issues" charts which Revanfan and others have posted from time to time.

This is for discussion of possible factors which could contribute to this. A few which I have:

The aforementioned: player can have a grudge against a team who cut/traded him
Entire team can get an attribute bump to simulate being "fired up" when playing a team the organization has a grudge against....like, team which knocked them out of the playoffs
Player can be hurt or under the weather, affects some attributes
Family event like birth of a child, grandparent passed on: they may play, but have limited practice that week, thus stamina and awareness will be down.
Team is riding some momentum like a winning streak, or the locker room is down due to losing streak
Game determined to be a "big game", important to standings
Primetime game, some players won't play as well
Prior game was a huge victory for team
Second-string QB was given more reps this week, perhaps because of subpar performance by starter. Starter's awareness goes down a little, QB2 goes up.

Sponsor

Sponsor

torontogrudlies
MVP

Re: Temporary player attribute changes before games

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Another change would tend to affect players who have a higher "Emotion" rating. This would be based upon things which occurred within the course of the previous game. My box score code allows for us to access data from all of the scoring plays, and also to reconstruct the scores from each part of the game. As some examples:

If the final score of the game was lead-changing in our favor, we're going to be fired up about it on Tuesday morning and probably throughout the week. If it wasn't in our favor (we choked away a close one) players are going to be down. If our HC is a good motivator, not so much impact though.

If it was a much higher ranked team and we won, or even played them close all the way, there are positive feelings and momentum to build on.

We can look at if we gave up a huge lead and lost. The coach is probably not going to be pleasant to be around, but there's going to be a week of very hard work. Players with lower work ethic and those who are playing more for $ than for love of the game, aren't going to be very happy.

ColtsFan
All-Pro

Postby ColtsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 am

How about players being affected if they're playing against a team that has injured them (for say 5 weeks or more) in the past... :-\ Just a thought...

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:56 am

ColtsFan wrote:How about players being affected if they're playing against a team that has injured them (for say 5 weeks or more) in the past... :-\ Just a thought...

A grudge against the team which knocked them out of the game? Hmmmmm... it's possible... most likely this would happen if it were because of dirty play and a late hit (which would also appear in the recap and might garner a suspension for the offending player.) It's also possible the entire team might hold such a grudge.... and also one of my ideas was if you run up the score on a team, they will remember it later...

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

So, I'm thinking that week to week, certain attributes can receive minor changes (with examples):

Awareness: if the player missed some practice, his AWR can go down a little. If a player is "fired up" i.e. coming off of a big game, team morale is good, or he's facing a team he holds a grudge against, AWR can slightly increase which may result in better performance.

Stamina: Player could tire more quickly if he's playing hurt, or didn't practice during the week.

Injury: Player may be slightly more susceptible to injury if already playing hurt (or with limited practice time.)

I'm thinking that the other attributes which represent their various abilities will be more constant, probably no need to make a bunch of adjustments to these.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't know if stamina has any effect on simulations, but I was thinking it would be interesting to strongly link stamina and morale. Player's who gave up on the team or believe it's hopeless don't necessarily become worse players and so shouldn't take ovr penalties, they just don't play their hardest and so should have dramatically reduced stamina. The main issue is I don't know if this would effect simulations at all in which case it would be useless, also we have to make sure to mess with the sub in and out settings otherwise we'll just have all the demoralized starters sitting rather than playing poorly.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Drizzt_13 wrote:I don't know if stamina has any effect on simulations, but I was thinking it would be interesting to strongly link stamina and morale. Player's who gave up on the team or believe it's hopeless don't necessarily become worse players and so shouldn't take ovr penalties, they just don't play their hardest and so should have dramatically reduced stamina. The main issue is I don't know if this would effect simulations at all in which case it would be useless, also we have to make sure to mess with the sub in and out settings otherwise we'll just have all the demoralized starters sitting rather than playing poorly.

The simming ignores some attributes; I learned this when developing and testing my league analyzer app. For example, significantly decreasing kickers' speed and acceleration won't increase blocked kicks, but it will in an actual game or a total control simulation. I think my recommendation would be to just TC sim everything, otherwise some of the temporary rating adjustments might not have as much effect. Granted, it would take longer to get through a week, you'd have to sit near the computer and start a new sim every few minutes. I also think it would be much easier to balance ratings vs. sliders for realism.

Return to “Tuesday Morning Manager”