general topic regarding app...

Temporary forum for the discussion of the Tuesday Morning project, to enhance the Madden 08 off-the-field experience.
User avatar
torontogrudlies
MVP
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby torontogrudlies » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Any new thoughts?

Re: general topic regarding app...

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

User avatar
torontogrudlies
MVP
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby torontogrudlies » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Let's not let this potential project fall off the radar... I think it's going to be exciting but we should stay on top of it!

User avatar
RevanFan
Legend
Posts: 8612
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: New York

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:Let's not let this potential project fall off the radar... I think it's going to be exciting but we should stay on top of it!

Well, I had some other great ideas, but I forgot them all. Could you give a recap of what's been talked about so far?
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

User avatar
torontogrudlies
MVP
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby torontogrudlies » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Basically, extending the player ratings and then having the app manage and use them week to week.... plus having other facets of the franchise being handled outside of the game (trades, agent negotiations and maybe even offseason activities such as the draft.)

We should also rewrite progression... I have already designed "potential attributes" which represent the maximum rating a player can reach in a given category. Then having the app manage this, and after they reach their prime, they start to decrease.... but all players will not necessarily progress immensely.

daddyfrost
Rookie
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby daddyfrost » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:50 pm

is the app still in development or is it dead?

User avatar
torontogrudlies
MVP
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby torontogrudlies » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes, I'm still working on it, but it's been slow in recent weeks due to family events and heavier hours at work. Drizzt_13 and I had collaborated on coming up with some formulas, but I need to check in with him to figure out what's next.

With the reboot of my Grudlies and their league, my working plan is to shut off progression and come up with some script to do it, which could then be tweaked and become a piece of the app. Ideas which are feeding into this are: having a set of potential ratings for each player, having them grow toward these potentials based upon mentoring, coaching and experience. Also there was the awesome idea of having a player rating for "technique"....how well they leverage their skills.

We did set up a chat to discuss, but not too many people were there. Drizzt and I were there for it, and a few others showed up for parts of it. We will definitely need a solid and consistent plan, with people offering up whatever they can. Not necessarily programming ability, because I can put that part together....but other areas of expertise, such as math/formulas, and/or good knowledge of how things happen off the field in pro football.

User avatar
valvegas1
All-Pro
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 am
Location: Hillsdale, MI

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby valvegas1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:02 am

Would it be possible to have the app monitor the games processes and automatically minimize the game and bring up the app when specific stages are reached...for instance to access the tuesday morning stuff the user just clicks the "weekly tasks" button in game and it automatically minimizes the game and opens the app...and same for the offseason stuff...i think it would make it feel more like its part of the game if it could be done...another idea i have is adding a much more in-depth training camp...i think it would be nice to add this to the app as well...i think a more realistic training camp should have practices and individual drills involved...logging player stats/performance for practices and then giving ratings adjustments (especially awareness & stamina) according to how they performed in practices...just some thoughts

User avatar
DarthViper3k
All-Pro
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby DarthViper3k » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Speaking of improving the off-season... another thing I'd love to see are compensatory draft picks for free agency losses

User avatar
DrBrownsFan
MVP
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby DrBrownsFan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:37 am

And what if the CPU controlled teams could coax players out of retirement (as opposed to just the player controlled team)? Also, you talked about the injuries and even deaths off the field, what about having where the player lives (the city where he plays) determine what he will likely do off the field? Like if he plays for the Redskins and lives in DC, he would be much more likely to be shot or knifed or whatever (fatally or not). If he lived in Texas, that would be less likely, and he would more likely have a car/motorcycle crash or something because of the long, flat, straight roads and how fast you can go on them.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: general topic regarding app...

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 am

DrBrownsFan wrote:And what if the CPU controlled teams could coax players out of retirement (as opposed to just the player controlled team)?


I think it would be interesting to do but it's kind of down there on the list of priorities.

DrBrownsFan wrote:Also, you talked about the injuries and even deaths off the field, what about having where the player lives (the city where he plays) determine what he will likely do off the field? Like if he plays for the Redskins and lives in DC, he would be much more likely to be shot or knifed or whatever (fatally or not). If he lived in Texas, that would be less likely, and he would more likely have a car/motorcycle crash or something because of the long, flat, straight roads and how fast you can go on them.


Another very flavorful idea. We would need some sort of weekly news thing outside of madden to implement this. If the player only sees the output as a normal injury and not related to the region then using region as a variable won't really have much payoff. We would need some sort of news commentary to add flavor text. If that is ever created I think it's a decent ways off.

DarthViper3k wrote:Speaking of improving the off-season... another thing I'd love to see are compensatory draft picks for free agency losses


I don't know. I think we could definitely do it in a draft engine provided we could get a hold of the formula the NFL uses to calculate who gets picks and at what round. I'm not sure if madden would be able to recognize the players as being drafted then and store it in the player history.

valvegas1 wrote:Would it be possible to have the app monitor the games processes and automatically minimize the game and bring up the app when specific stages are reached...for instance to access the tuesday morning stuff the user just clicks the "weekly tasks" button in game and it automatically minimizes the game and opens the app...and same for the offseason stuff...i think it would make it feel more like its part of the game if it could be done...


I don't think so. gruddlies would know more than me about it but it seems like it would be difficult and require everyone who uses the mod to modify their madden install as well. Also I feel like most of the community already uses things like madden amp and NZA editor so they would be willing to do stuff outside of madden.

valvegas1 wrote:another idea i have is adding a much more in-depth training camp...i think it would be nice to add this to the app as well...i think a more realistic training camp should have practices and individual drills involved...logging player stats/performance for practices and then giving ratings adjustments (especially awareness & stamina) according to how they performed in practices...just some thoughts


Have you seen madden amp? It tends to favor the much more in depth approach to training camp. I for one find micromanaging the workout routines of 55+ athletes to be a little tedious and unrealistic. I think the previous months of offseason probably have a much greater effect on player fitness than the two weeks of training camp. Also if you are going to ask the user to micromanage 55 people workout routines the user is going to want to see returns on all the time they spent doing it. This means you generally have to reward them with serious progression from the players. This means progression becomes far too reliable and too fast. While I'm not opposed to an in-depth version of training camp I would prefer it to be optional so that not everyone who uses the app has to spend 2 hours on it between every season.


Return to “Tuesday Morning Manager”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest