Formula for Suspensions and the Like

Guides on achieving realism in franchise play.
RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, I posted this back on FF, and I gave it to Danchat for him to use once FF went down, and he has lost it. So, to prevent that from happening again, and to allow others to use it if they wish, I am posting this on FI. It is a formula I came up with for dishing out fines, suspensions, off-field injuries, etc. to players in a franchise. It primarily uses http://www.random.org/ to randomly select numbers. Here are the steps.

Code: Select all

Write your roster down by position, splitting the players into these categories (if they apply; the PS and Reserve ones may not depending on your roster:)

1      QB
2      RB/FB
3      WR
4      TE
5      OL
6      DL
7      LB
8      DB
9      ST
10      Reserve (IR, PUP, Susp., etc)
11      PS

Use Random.org to select a number from 1-11 (or 9 if you don't use a roster with a PS team.) For example, say you get a 5, it will be offensive line.

Next organize every player in the selected group by alphabetical order. Then have Random.org select a number between 1 and however many players you have in the selected group, for example, 1-10 for ten offensive linemen.

Take the number selected and find the player in that position in the alphabetized group. For example, say you get a 4, then the fourth player will be selected.

The next step involves having the site give you a random number between 1 and 30. These are the possible outcomes of the roll.

1      Six-week suspension
2      Fine
3      Six-week suspension
4      Four-week suspension (roll 1-2 for 1 = player appeal successful; 2 = player appeal unsuccessful)
5      Indefinite suspension
6      Four-week suspension
7      Six-week suspension
8      Four-week suspension (roll 1-2 for 1 = player appeal successful; 2 = player appeal unsuccessful)
9      Four-week suspension
10      Indefinite suspension
11      Non-football illness (NF-Ill.)
12      Fine
13      Fine
14      Non-football injury (NF-Inj.)
15      One-week suspension
16      One-week suspension
17      Four-week suspension
18      Non-football injury (NF-Inj.)
19      Six-week suspension (roll 1-2 for 1 = reduce to four weeks; 2 = do not reduce)
20      One-week suspension
21      Four-week suspension (roll 1-2 for 1 = reduce to two weeks; 2 = do not reduce)
22      Four-week suspension (roll 1-2 for 1 = reduce to two weeks; 2 = do not reduce)
23      Non-football injury (NF-Inj.)
24      Four-week suspension
25      Fine
26      Fine
27      Four-week suspension
28      Non-football illness (NF-Ill.)
29      Six-week suspension
30      Death (roll 1-5 for 1-4 = reduce to NF-Inj.; 5 = death)

If the selected option tells you to pick another number, as is the case with some suspensions and death, randomly pick between the numbers specified.

If anyone needs to know the specific rules of the NF-Inj. and NF-Ill. lists, I'll be happy to tell.

Well, enjoy this, and use it wisely.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

LegionODoom
Rookie

Re: Formula for Suspensions and the Like

Postby LegionODoom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Very nice, Revan. Have been thinking about a way to come up with a way to do suspensions and such.

What, pray tell, are the rules for NF Ill and NF Inj?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 pm

LegionODoom wrote:Very nice, Revan. Have been thinking about a way to come up with a way to do suspensions and such.

What, pray tell, are the rules for NF Ill and NF Inj?

NF-Inj. and NF-Ill. are the lists players go on when they are hurt or sick and the cause is non-football related. Most players who go on this list are put their before the preseason even starts, although it can happen at any point. There are two times when this can be used where different rules apply.

Scenario 1: Before the preseason or during the preseason:

When a player is placed on these lists before or during the preseason, they are still on the active roster. If they are not healthy enough to play by the time the regular season begins, they stay on the list and are not counted against the 53-man roster. After that, they are forced to stay inactive for 6 weeks, and then they have 3 weeks to begin practicing and be activated from the inactive list. If they are not activated to the 53-man roster by week 9, they must sit out the season.

Scenario 2: During or after the regular season:

If a player is placed on these lists during the regular- or post-season, they are automatically out for the season. It's basically just the same as IR, but for non-football problems. They will not count against the 53-man roster for the rest of the season, and cannot play or practice.

Does this sound easy to understand? Some of the NFL's rules can be complex.
My Cowboys Journal

ColtsFan
All-Pro

Postby ColtsFan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Very interesting guide. Thanks.

How do you use this? Like, personally. Info like how often do you do this thing and when and stuff like that. Thanks!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 am

ColtsFan wrote:Very interesting guide. Thanks.

How do you use this? Like, personally. Info like how often do you do this thing and when and stuff like that. Thanks!

That's really up for each individual user to decide.
My Cowboys Journal

ColtsFan
All-Pro

Postby ColtsFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm

RevanFan wrote:

Bummer! Haha! How often do you use it?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:17 pm

ColtsFan wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

In my current franchise, I don't. If I ever start a new one, I will. I will probably use it only once or twice for my team in a year, maybe not even using it at all. If I remember correctly, Dave's Tuesday Morning app will have suspension formulas built in, so I might end up just waiting for him to finish that. His app will take things such as previous trouble, morals, and other things affecting suspension likelihood into account, while my formula cannot.
My Cowboys Journal

ColtsFan
All-Pro

Postby ColtsFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:19 pm

RevanFan wrote:
ColtsFan wrote:
RevanFan wrote:That's really up for each individual user to decide.

In my current franchise, I don't. If I ever start a new one, I will. I will probably use it only once or twice for my team in a year, maybe not even using it at all. If I remember correctly, Dave's Tuesday Morning app will have suspension formulas built in, so I might end up just waiting for him to finish that. His app will take things such as previous trouble, morals, and other things affecting suspension likelihood into account, while my formula cannot.

Ok, thanks!

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 pm

This will also definitely be a piece of the Tuesday Morning Manager. I have built am attribute for Character (how likely the player is to stay out of trouble) and a "bad karma" stat which gets maybe +100 when there's an incident, then gets decreased over time to simulate the incident getting further and further in the past.

GM also has an attribute which will determine how tolerant he is of such behavior.

revanfan, might you be interested in taking charge of that part of the project, coming up with the ground rules for these incidents? I then get it into code when we come to that point in development...

ColtsFan
All-Pro

Postby ColtsFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:32 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:This will also definitely be a piece of the Tuesday Morning Manager. I have built am attribute for Character (how likely the player is to stay out of trouble) and a "bad karma" stat which gets maybe +100 when there's an incident, then gets decreased over time to simulate the incident getting further and further in the past.

GM also has an attribute which will determine how tolerant he is of such behavior.

Awesome!!! I can't imagine having all of the stuff that there's going to be when all of these mods people are doing are finished! This is going to be way better than Madden 12! :D

Return to “Franchise Guides”