Converting a Franchise Into a Roster

Guides on achieving realism in franchise play.
RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I recently reevaluated the methods for converting a franchise to a roster, and I believe I may have come up with the best possible guide. This combines ideas from me, Rixster67r, mike9472, and madden07eurocat.

Have you had a problem preventing you from moving forward in your franchise, and no troubleshooting advice can fix it? Have you reached 30 seasons in your franchise and want to keep going? Those are two major reasons to want to convert your franchise. Doing so will allow you to start over again with the converted roster, allowing you to retain your players. Below is a step-by-step guide for converting your franchise into a roster. I recommend avoiding conversion until you can see the preseason schedule, but it will work at any point. Before beginning, make sure you have the DB Editor, as well as a roster file to house the conversion. Any roster that is tested as working can be used, but I would recommend using a copy of the FF/FI Mod's default roster.

NOTE: Always make backup copies before making big changes.

Code: Select all

*0. Before beginning, make sure there are no players on the Practice Squad team in your franchise. All players should be on one of the main 32 teams, free agents, or retired.
*1. Open your franchise file in the DB Editor.
*2. Click on the PLAY table.
*3. Export the PLAY table as a CSV file.
*4. Open the CSV file in Microsoft Excel or LibreOffice Calc.
*5. If there are any players by the name of "New Player," delete them. They will usually be at the top of the file.
*6. Hold the 'CTRL' key and select the following columns: A through F, H through P, X, AN, BH, CA, CL, and DM. Right click on any of the slected columns, and click "Delete." These columns are not used in the roster file.
*7. Click anywhere in the PGID column and click "Sort & Filter," then click "Sort smallest to largest." This is not required, but will make the next steps a little clearer.
*8. Click anywhere in the TGID column and click "Sort & Filter," then click "Sort smallest to largest." The top values should be 0, then 1, 2, and so on.
*9. Scroll to the far right of the file, and click on any empty cell. Enter the number 1. Click outside of the cell with the number 1 in it, and click on the cell again and copy it.
*10. Go back to the TGID column and select every cell in it with a value from 0 through 28. Right click and select "Paste special." Next, select "Paste Special..." in that menu. Under "Operation", click on "Add". Click "OK". This will increase every cell selected by 1.
*11. Before doing anything else, scroll down to the last cell you have selected. Click on the first unhighlited cell with the value 29. Change it to 32.
*12. Select the cell that now says 32 and copy it. Select all the cells that say 29 BELOW the cell you just changed to 32, and paste. The selected cells should now all say 32.
*13. Change all of the cells that say 30 to 31 using the same method as step 12.
*14. Click on the first unhighlited cell that says 31, and change it to 30. Then repeat step 12, changing the remaining 31s below that cell to 30s. Now verify that all changes were made correctly.
*15. Scroll down and, if you wish, delete any player with a TGID of 1014. These are retired players. This step isn't required, but will reduce the clutter in your roster.
*16. Go back to the top of the file. Click anywhere in the PFNA column and click "Sort & Filter," then click "Sort A to Z."
*17. Next, click anywhere in the PLNA column and click "Sort & Filter," then click "Sort A to Z." This will filter your roster alphabetically.
*18. Select the PGID cell of the first player in the file. Change the value to 0. Now, click off that cell and select it again. Hold the 'CTRL' and 'SHIFT' keys, and press the 'DOWN ARROW' key. This will select every cell in the PGID column.
*19. While you have the PGID cells selected, go up to the "Fill" button and click it. Then click "Series...". Make sure the "Step Value" is set to 1 and click "OK". The values should now all be unique, starting at 0 and increasing by 1 each.
*20. Repeat steps 18 and 19, but for the POID column.
*21. Scroll to the far right of the file, and delete the "1" you created earlier. Additionally, delete the only cell in the DG column. This is the count of players in the roster, and you will have problems importing if this is not deleted. After this is done, save your CSV file.
*22. Open the DB Editor, and load the roster you intend to use to house your converted franchise.
*23. Go to the PLAY table. Once it has loaded, import your modified CSV file. Once it's finished importing, save and exit.
*24. Launch Madden, and once in, load the roster file that now has your players. Make sure you're in "Roster Management". Click on the Chicago Bears, and click "Player Management". Next, click "Depth Chart", and click "Auto Reorder." Once done, do this for all remaining teams. Save the roster when finished.
*25. You can test to make sure everything is working by playing an exhibition game. You only need to stay long enough to make sure there's no immediate crashes.
*26. If everything is working, you can go ahead and create your new franchise file. Enjoy continuing your franchise!

Additionally, if you'd like a visual guide, below is a video from madden07eurocat detailing the process using his own methods, most of which are the same or similar to mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9PP3RVPHo

Below, in the spoiler, are the original three guides.

Spoiler:
There are three methods listed below. The first two are recent methods, from rixster67r and mike9472. The third is the original step-by-step guide rixster67r gave me years ago.

Rixster67r:

I have a new way of doing this that works much better and it goes like this......

Load your franchise in the DB editor 3.0 (MadMod X) and export the play to csv.......

Load any default roster you know works in the DB editor 3.0 and export the play to csv.......

Load both csv in excel and then select view and then arrange all (Horizontal) and then column by column make the franchise csv match the roster csv by deleting columns as needed.......if the roster csv does not have the column then delete the column in the franchise csv.......you will not need to add any columns

After you have the csv matching then renumber the TGID column +1  Example 0=1 1=2 2=3 etc.....

29=32 Texans
31=30 Titans
30=31 Vikings

import the csv to the roster of your choice (overwriting play)

Load in the game and reorder all depth charts

mike9472:

I've always done it this way and never had any problems.

[b]Delete the following columns from a franchise PLAY.CSV file to convert it to a roster PLAY.CSV.  You also have to change each team id# (TGID) because a franchise file starts with ID#0 for the Bears and a roster file starts with ID#1 (If you carry over any coaches, you'll have to change their TGID# as well)

TAG   (COLUMN)

PSA0  (A)   
PSB0  (B)   
PSA1  (C)   
PSB1  (D)   
PSA2  (E)
PSB2  (F)
PSA3  (H)   
PSB3  (I)
PSA4  (J)
PSB4  (K)
PSA5  (L)
PSB5  (M)
PSA6  (N)
PSB6  (O)
PPGA  (P)
PCSA  (X)
PLFH  (AN)
PVAL  (BH)
PWIN  (CA)
PPSP  (CL)
PCTS  (DM)[/b][/quote]

* 1. Export the franchise to CSV using NZA's Editor version 1.3.
* 2. Open in Excel.
* 3. Select the AH column. Then, click sort & filter, and click sort from smallest to largest. When it asks if you want to expand the selection or continue with current selection, select expand the selection.
* 4. Select the second cell in column AH and change the value from 0 to 1.
* 5. Select the second cell and right click. Then click copy.
* 6. Select the cell immediately under the copied cell and drag to the last 0 you see. Then right click and click paste.
* 7. Do the same for every cell up to AH value 31. They should go from 0-31 to 1-32.
**Note: You may need to swap teams for the Titans and Texans. If that is the case, change all 32s to 30s and vice versa.
* 8. Delete all Pro Bowl players (team IDs 1010 and 1011) and retired players (team ID 1014.)
* 9. Sort column V from A to Z, just as you did before for column AH in step 3.
* 10. Do the same as step 9, but for column W.
* 11. Select the second cell in column AG and change the value to 1, then select it again, and shift select the last cell. All cells in column AG except the first should be selected.
* 12. Click fill, then click series. Make sure the step value is 1, then click okay.
* 13. Repeat steps 11 and 12, but for column AI.
* 14. Change the value in cell two of column A to 0. Then copy that cell.
* 15. Select the second cell in column A and shift select over to column F's second cell. Then shift select to the column F cell of the last player, right click, and click paste. All values from columns A through F should all be 0.
* 16. Select the second cell in column H and shift select to the second cell of column P. Next, shift select to the last P column cell of the last player and click paste. All values from columns H through P should all be 0.
* 17. Select the second cell in column X, then shift select the last cell in column X and paste. All column X values should be 0.
* 18. Save and exit.
* 19. Load Madden and load a roster that can be used to convert franchises to rosters.
* 20. Create a team in the roster. Save and quit Madden.
* 21. Open NZA's editor version 1.3 and load the roster.
* 22. Go to misc/injury, and look for the "Release (Beta)" area on the right. Release every player from team IDs 0-32, 104-106, 241, 1008, and 1014 to free agency.
* 23. In the same area, just above the release area, there is a team swap area. Enter team IDs 1009 and 0 and click apply.
* 24. Click attributes, find the import/export CSV area, and import your CSV you modified in Excel earlier. Import the CSV into the roster.
* 25. Check each team to make sure there are no duplicate players. If there are, delete the duplicates. Save and close the editor.
* 26. Load the roster in-game and delete the created team. Save and quit.
* 27. Load NZA's editor 1.3 and load the roster. Click the injury tab and click the "Delete All Injuries" button. Go back to the attributes tab, select any team, and save the roster.
* 28. Load Madden and auto-reorder all team depth charts.
* 29. Test by playing a play now game. Any two teams should work.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

wolfbest
All-Pro

Re: Converting a Franchise Into a Roster

Postby wolfbest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:08 am

RevanFan wrote:Well, this has been on the wiki for a while, but I didn't see it on here. I revisited the steps for converting franchises into rosters when I went to convert my franchise back into a roster after a glitch hit. Here are the steps. They should be fairly straightforward.

* 1. Export the franchise to CSV using NZA's Editor version 1.3.
* 2. Open in Excel.
* 3. Select the AH column. Then, click sort & filter, and click sort from smallest to largest. When it asks if you want to expand the selection or continue with current selection, select expand the selection.
* 4. Select the second cell in column AH and change the value from 0 to 1.
* 5. Select the second cell and right click. Then click copy.
* 6. Select the cell immediately under the copied cell and drag to the last 0 you see. Then right click and click paste.
* 7. Do the same for every cell up to AH value 31. They should go from 0-31 to 1-32.
**Note: You may need to swap teams for the Titans and Texans. If that is the case, change all 32s to 30s and vice versa.
* 8. Delete all Pro Bowl players (team IDs 1010 and 1011) and retired players (team ID 1014.)
* 9. Sort column V from A to Z, just as you did before for column AH in step 3.
* 10. Do the same as step 9, but for column W.
* 11. Select the second cell in column AG and change the value to 1, then select it again, and shift select the last cell. All cells in column AG except the first should be selected.
* 12. Click fill, then click series. Make sure the step value is 1, then click okay.
* 13. Repeat steps 11 and 12, but for column AI.
* 14. Change the value in cell two of column A to 0. Then copy that cell.
* 15. Select the second cell in column A and shift select over to column F's second cell. Then shift select to the column F cell of the last player, right click, and click paste. All values from columns A through F should all be 0.
* 16. Select the second cell in column H and shift select to the second cell of column P. Next, shift select to the last P column cell of the last player and click paste. All values from columns H through P should all be 0.
* 17. Select the second cell in column X, then shift select the last cell in column X and paste. All column X values should be 0.
* 18. Save and exit.
* 19. Load Madden and load a roster that can be used to convert franchises to rosters.
* 20. Create a team in the roster. Save and quit Madden.
* 21. Open NZA's editor version 1.3 and load the roster.
* 22. Go to misc/injury, and look for the "Release (Beta)" area on the right. Release every player from team IDs 0-32, 104-106, 241, 1008, and 1014 to free agency.
* 23. In the same area, just above the release area, there is a team swap area. Enter team IDs 1009 and 0 and click apply.
* 24. Click attributes, find the import/export CSV area, and import your CSV you modified in Excel earlier. Import the CSV into the roster.
* 25. Check each team to make sure there are no duplicate players. If there are, delete the duplicates. Save and close the editor.
* 26. Load the roster in-game and delete the created team. Save and quit.
* 27. Load NZA's editor 1.3 and load the roster. Click the injury tab and click the "Delete All Injuries" button. Go back to the attributes tab, select any team, and save the roster.
* 28. Load Madden and auto-reorder all team depth charts.
* 29. Test by playing a play now game. Any two teams should work.

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pick6
Hall of Fame

Postby pick6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Wow! I really needed this a while back, but couldn't find it. Great work! (I've just suggested that it be added to the Useful Links section.)

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am

i cannot find this AH column you are referring to? Do you export the players to csv or the whole franchise, because i cannot find that option?
thanks
Green Bay Packers, Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... =2&t=14773
Heisman 14 Add-on Team
AGL MOD: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15644

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 am

packers316 wrote:i cannot find this AH column you are referring to? Do you export the players to csv or the whole franchise, because i cannot find that option?
thanks

Export the players. There are many, many columns in the file. Just look for it closely. It's there.
My Cowboys Journal

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 am

Yeah found it, I realised it was the column number not the title. :lol:
Green Bay Packers, Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... =2&t=14773
Heisman 14 Add-on Team

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am

sorry, one more question, when it says select the second cell in a column, is that the cell labelled 2, or the 2nd cell with a number in it (i.e 2nd cell not including title)?
Heisman 14 Add-on Team

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 am

packers316 wrote:sorry, one more question, when it says select the second cell in a column, is that the cell labelled 2, or the 2nd cell with a number in it (i.e 2nd cell not including title)?

Cell #2. The first one after the title.
My Cowboys Journal

patsallday
MVP

Postby patsallday » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 pm

I wonder if anyone will reply but I made a franchise and followed the steps but the roster won't load in game. It keeps crashing. There are no roster deficiencies and I have the latest mod and the roster is based off the mod roster.

There are also 455 FA's
Patriots win SB 49 Hopefully....

patsallday
MVP

Postby patsallday » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:52 pm

patsallday wrote:I wonder if anyone will reply but I made a franchise and followed the steps but the roster won't load in game. It keeps crashing. There are no roster deficiencies and I have the latest mod and the roster is based off the mod roster.

There are also 455 FA's

I'm under 420 free agents. Still doesn't load in game.
Patriots win SB 49 Hopefully....

Return to “Franchise Guides”