Help Me Decide My Next Game

Anything and everything.
RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 pm

I'm trying to figure out what game to play after I finish my currently active games, so I decided to make a poll. Everyone feel free to vote. I welcome all opinions.

EDIT: New polls, using STAR voting.

https://star.vote/wy6144px/

https://star.vote/w9rsk145/

https://star.vote/3ankxxy9/
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Help Me Decide My Next Game

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 pm

I decided instead that I want multiple polls, separated by the length of the game. Also, I wanted a more proper democratic approach, so I've switched to STAR voting. Basically... just rate each game something from 0 to 5, and then submit when you're done. The top two with the most points go to a runoff.

I'll leave these polls up with no expiration date so i can keep looking back at them.

EDIT: Links in the OP.
My Cowboys Journal

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 am

Red Dead Redemption 100%. I love, love, LOVE it. It doesn't quite have the story changing decisions that Mass Effect has, but it scratches that itch of playing a character the way you want to play him. You can be a jerk, you can be a great guy, you can be both to different people. As you go along, the story still progresses the same for the most part, but the characters treat you a little differently. Gun play is fun, and brought out me back to the times of watching Bonanza reruns.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is my solid #2 pick. The combat left a bit to be desired, but the story is long and captivating. Like Red Dead, it did a great job of pulling me into their world. It has a kind of steep start to it though, you're starting out as a peasant and you fight like one until you slowly gain experience. Even so, the music, the environment, everything about it feels so awesome to play.

LA Noire, the story is okay, though I felt a little let down in the end because along the way, the main character did things I'd never do. It makes the story more interesting that way, but to me, it felt out of character even for the main character. More importantly I admittedly sucked at reading people's faces in the game, which is 80% of what's going on in the story. Go places, talk to people, ask them questions and read their faces to find out whether you should call them a bald faced liar, or doubt their story, or take it as truth. For whatever reason, I just couldn't do it. I went on my own for a while, but I eventually started using guides to see what I should ask. The driving and gunplay was fun, but the story is really about the questions, and I failed at it.

Skyrim is great. It's also a trap for thinking "I'll just mod this one thing" and then it turns into adding mods that add whole new parts of the world to the game. Then it's editing those mods and trying to perfect them. Then it's accidentally breaking everything and backtracking finding what I did wrong. I like it, and I want to do another playthrough again, but I also know that I'd be sinking a huge amount of time into it if I get started again.

Spec Ops the Line was just weird. It felt like the whole point was to make me feel bad about myself. It succeeded for the most part, but at some point, I stopped caring very hard about whether what I did seemed right or wrong. Maybe that was the point.

Halo is a slog. It's a historic slog, but I did it some of it in coop with a friend and it made a whole lot better. There's a certain point in the game where all you're doing is running through a hollowed-out cave room out onto a bridge and into another cave room. The rooms are exactly the same, the bridge is exactly the same. Repeat at least 5+ times, that's the majority of the mission. It's from 2001, so at the time I'm sure it was brilliant, but it got mind-numbing after the third time.

My additional suggestions:

Mafia Definitive Edition. It's LA Noire but you're the baddie and all you really have to do is run and drive around shooting stuff. You're the baddie, except it didn't really seem that way at the start. Then some things happen and you kind of start killing other mafia's people. So you kind of are the baddie. The story is captivating, the world is amazing, the cars are fun to look at and drive, and the game lets you go to free ride mode where there are minor sidemissions that have you drive some really fun and unique cars. 10-12 hours of solid gameplay there. Mafia II is in my near future.

Off the wall game, Detroit Become Human. No combat whatsoever. It's like Mass Effect's decision making, but 100% driven by your decisions of what to do or say. I'm a dumby that likes to shoot stuff in games, but this had me very involved. 15-20 hours, though I can't remember how much of that was me replaying the story because my decisions the first time around didn't lead to the happiest ending.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 pm

NickyJ wrote:Mafia Definitive Edition. It's LA Noire but you're the baddie and all you really have to do is run and drive around shooting stuff. You're the baddie, except it didn't really seem that way at the start. Then some things happen and you kind of start killing other mafia's people. So you kind of are the baddie. The story is captivating, the world is amazing, the cars are fun to look at and drive, and the game lets you go to free ride mode where there are minor sidemissions that have you drive some really fun and unique cars. 10-12 hours of solid gameplay there. Mafia II is in my near future.

Off the wall game, Detroit Become Human. No combat whatsoever. It's like Mass Effect's decision making, but 100% driven by your decisions of what to do or say. I'm a dumby that likes to shoot stuff in games, but this had me very involved. 15-20 hours, though I can't remember how much of that was me replaying the story because my decisions the first time around didn't lead to the happiest ending.

I don't have either of those games sadly. Though I'm unsure of buying any games from Quantic Dream due to reports of poor workplace conditions.

Did you vote in the polls to add your voice to the pile there? Though personal reviews are certainly a nice touch and good to have, so thanks for those.
My Cowboys Journal

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 am

Red Dead Redemption 2

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:12 am

Transport Fever 2, City Skylines

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:25 am

Austinmario13 wrote:Transport Fever 2, City Skylines

Those aren't options on the poll. Don't own TF2, and I won't go back to Cities Skylines until I get the latest DLC.
My Cowboys Journal

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 pm

RevanFan wrote:

Those aren't options on the poll. Don't own TF2, and I won't go back to Cities Skylines until I get the latest DLC.

Well, tf2 is my favorite game so I thought I'd bring it up.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:44 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

Well, tf2 is my favorite game so I thought I'd bring it up.

Duly noted. Looks like it might be fun.

Anyway, I'm likely going to start one of the short games soon. Dealing with COVID right now, but it's not kicking me hard enough to stop me from gaming. Had an awful headache earlier but I'm okay right now.
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”