Football taboo.....

Anything and everything.
ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Re: Football taboo.....

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Rixster67r wrote:To me its the lack of loyality from the teams....... every season seems like a brand new team that I don't know half of the players and by time I get to know them they are gone........ it seems like to me that teams are not keeping players any more not because they aren't good enough but because a less known player is cheaper.......

Something happen along about the time Brian Urlacher retired....... you can look at the rosters on this site and see when it happened....... Its like the NFL just started over with a bunch of new players

You're right...

I miss Arian Foster, Reggie Wayne, Brian Urlacher, Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Kurt Warner, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Ladanian Tomlinson, Jake Delhomme, Ray Lewis and hell, even Matt Schaub. Those were the faces I remembered.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Rixster67r wrote:To me its the lack of loyality from the teams....... every season seems like a brand new team that I don't know half of the players and by time I get to know them they are gone........ it seems like to me that teams are not keeping players any more not because they aren't good enough but because a less known player is cheaper.......

Something happen along about the time Brian Urlacher retired....... you can look at the rosters on this site and see when it happened....... Its like the NFL just started over with a bunch of new players

That's a GOOD THING! New teams every season!!!

Who knew the Titans, Bucs, and Raiders would catch up and become playoff contenders?

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am

cyclone2426 wrote:Nowadays I'll just jump on Youtube the following day and watch the 10 minute highlights/condensed version that the NFL uploads. Skip through all the non-plays and see the parts you actually want to see.

Is it an official NFL YT channel? I used to pay for GamePass and a VPN to see those condensed games.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

In regards to everyone's thoughts about lack of player and fan loyalty (St. Louis, Oakland, San Diego...) and putting what seems to be a watered down product on the field, it comes down to the most recent CBA that made rookie contracts capped and structured. It is the definition of antitrust.

Rookies, 2nd year, 3rd year, and 4th year NFL players are the most affordable labor pool of any major sport despite playing in the most dangerous one by far.

Not having to risk $76,000,000 on a Sam Bradford, and by guaranteeing that your "surprise" 7th-round starting right guard is under contract for sub-$1m per year for each of the first 4 years he is in the league and is starting for three full seasons, but then somehow can't find a starting job @ a starting salaried rate once he becomes a "veteran" in his 5th season is more than enough for owners, GM's, coaches, and executives to look the other way.

Is the NFL watered-down? Well, at what other point in the history of the league were there so many 2nd to 7th round players seemingly jumping straight into starting roles and then seemingly disappearing or being passed around as free agent "journeyman" in their 5th year? Never before, that's when.

By the way, the NFL will bring in $14,000,000,000 this season. That's billions, with a "B."

Also let's ignore the fact that nearly every stadium has been built AND maintained with at least some public tax dollars, and that the $14,000,000,000 pie is sliced 33 ways (32 teams + league expenses) and allows each ownership group to write all of their private jets, travel, vacation meetings, labor costs, "home office" expenditures, real estate portfolios, vehicles, personal assistants, chefs, and all other "business" expenditures off their taxes. Doing so makes it nearly impossible to track the NFL money and find out how much (how little) the collective NFL actually pays in taxes.

After each ownership group's deductions, and then accounting for every public dollar, federal or not, that goes into stadiums, I'm willing to bet net tax revenue collected from the NFL is a negative value.

$50 for a sleeveless tee shirt, $60 for a long sleeve tee shirt, and $325 for a jersey.

Reference:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/nfl-will-reach-14-billion-in-2017-revenue/
http://www.nflshop.com/Shield_Merchandise_Men/Mens_NFL_Under_Armour_Blue_Combine_ClutchFit_Compression_Sleeveless_Performance_T-Shirt
http://www.nflshop.com/Shield_Merchandise_Men/Mens_NFL_Nike_Red_Draft_Player_Long_Sleeve_Performance_T-Shirt
http://www.nflshop.com/Dallas_Cowboys_Men/Mens_Dallas_Cowboys_Dak_Prescott_Nike_Navy_Alternate_Vapor_Untouchable_Elite_Jersey
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm

trey31 wrote:
cyclone2426 wrote:Nowadays I'll just jump on Youtube the following day and watch the 10 minute highlights/condensed version that the NFL uploads. Skip through all the non-plays and see the parts you actually want to see.

Is it an official NFL YT channel? I used to pay for GamePass and a VPN to see those condensed games.

Might've been the wrong terminology on my part, probably not the same condensed games that are on GamePass (pretty sure those are longer than the ones i'm talking about). These are more just 8-10 minute highlight reels, but they are from the official NFL channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3YYWJjiws

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:
trey31 wrote:

Might've been the wrong terminology on my part, probably not the same condensed games that are on GamePass (pretty sure those are longer than the ones i'm talking about). These are more just 8-10 minute highlight reels, but they are from the official NFL channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3YYWJjiws

This is even better than the other ones honestly. Thanks! Frees up the 3+ hours on Monday night I'd have spent watching the MNF game.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:45 pm

NickyJ wrote:Aside from a few Super Bowls, I haven't watched a full game start to finish since 2012. 80% of the games that I get to see are fairly easy to read by the end of the 1st quarter; I can tune back in half-way through the 4th quarter and the team that dominated the start is still dominating by the end. When it's my favorite team that's being dominated, it just doesn't feel quite as fun to watch lol

Well, I can update that to say I haven't watched a full game start to finish since last night. :mrgreen: Turns out winning really does fix everything!

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Lol, these responses are awesome.....the main theme being no one here cares to glue their eyes for 3+ hours to the whole game lol....I second the highlight videos....it cuts all the bs plays out and in 8-10 minutes you see how the game played out....mostly with key turnovers and scores as the highlights it avoids all those time killers like 2 back to back false starts on offense etc.....you get a nice "bite sized portion" of the game instead of the whole time hog of a game.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:Lol, these responses are awesome.....the main theme being no one here cares to glue their eyes for 3+ hours to the whole game lol....I second the highlight videos....it cuts all the bs plays out and in 8-10 minutes you see how the game played out....mostly with key turnovers and scores as the highlights it avoids all those time killers like 2 back to back false starts on offense etc.....you get a nice "bite sized portion" of the game instead of the whole time hog of a game.....

I watch all of the Vikings games, but I typically record the game and start it an hour after it's actually started. Then I can skip all of the commercials and have a far more enjoyable viewing experience. I also enjoy watching other games, but usually just on in the background while I'm doing something else.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:01 pm

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:

You're right...

I miss Arian Foster, Reggie Wayne, Brian Urlacher, Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Kurt Warner, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Ladanian Tomlinson, Jake Delhomme, Ray Lewis and hell, even Matt Schaub. Those were the faces I remembered.

I really miss Devin Hester. As a Bears fan, I do miss Urlacher, as well.
But, Hester "The Windy City Flyer" was the biggest Superstar for the Bears, since Walter Payton. I'm not saying he's on Walter's level, but Hester was absolutely ridiculous

And to Rixter67's point - I hate the fact that the Bears showed Urlacher no loyalty. Hester and Forte got the same treatment, also......the team gives zero craps.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”