Been to Hell and Back With My PC

Anything and everything.
Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 am

So after a while with being on Windows 7 I went back to Windows 10. But for some reason it was super slow so I kept going back and forth between win7 and win10 for a while until I figured out what was wrong: The Antivirus. Avast almost destroyed my pc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Been to Hell and Back With My PC

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:20 am

Austinmario13 wrote:So after a while with being on Windows 7 I went back to Windows 10. But for some reason it was super slow so I kept going back and forth between win7 and win10 for a while until I figured out what was wrong: The Antivirus. Avast almost destroyed my pc.

I find that hard to believe. What do you mean, "it almost destroyed your PC"? What EXACTLY was Avast doing that caused your PC to slow down so much? And what are your hardware specs?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 am

RevanFan wrote:
Austinmario13 wrote:So after a while with being on Windows 7 I went back to Windows 10. But for some reason it was super slow so I kept going back and forth between win7 and win10 for a while until I figured out what was wrong: The Antivirus. Avast almost destroyed my pc.

I find that hard to believe. What do you mean, "it almost destroyed your PC"? What EXACTLY was Avast doing that caused your PC to slow down so much? And what are your hardware specs?

I'm not exactly sure what Avast did I think it was a bug. What I mean by "it almost destroyed my PC" is, after a while, I would either get a blue screen of death or a recovery screen and have to reinstall Windows. I also am aware I need a new hard drive.

Here are my specs:
HP Pavilion Notebook
Processor: AMD A10-8700P Roadeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB (7.45 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 am

I had Avast at one point, and it messed up my PC pretty bad as well. Haven't used it since.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what Avast did I think it was a bug. What I mean by "it almost destroyed my PC" is, after a while, I would either get a blue screen of death or a recovery screen and have to reinstall Windows. I also am aware I need a new hard drive.

Here are my specs:
HP Pavilion Notebook
Processor: AMD A10-8700P Roadeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB (7.45 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

How old was your hard drive? Because... Avast, on all of my computers, has NEVER caused any of those issues. A failing hard drive CERTAINLY has.
My Cowboys Journal

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:19 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:I had Avast at one point, and it messed up my PC pretty bad as well. Haven't used it since.

What exactly did it do?

RevanFan wrote:A failing hard drive CERTAINLY has.

My hard drive isn't failing. It's only a year old. All I had to do was a defrag and it was fine. But I wouldn't have to do that if wasn't for Avast. You may not have had issues, but I and cyclone2426 did.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:
cyclone2426 wrote:I had Avast at one point, and it messed up my PC pretty bad as well. Haven't used it since.

What exactly didn't do?

My hard drive isn't failing. It's only a year old. All I had to do was a defrag and it was fine. But I wouldn't have to do that if wasn't for Avast. You may not have had issues, but I and cyclone2426 did.

Well... if you're really dropping Avast, I'd say the next best free alternative is Avira, followed by AVG. If you want a payed solution, go with Kaspersky.
My Cowboys Journal

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:

What exactly did it do?

It caused some sort of driver issues which ultimately kept blue screening me, and was unable to boot it. It was a pain to deal with so I just backed up my stuff and re-imaged it. I echo Revan when it comes to the free ones, though for paid I would recommend Bitdefender or Trend over Kaspersky.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:
Austinmario13 wrote:

What exactly did it do?

It caused some sort of driver issues which ultimately kept blue screening me, and was unable to boot it. It was a pain to deal with so I just backed up my stuff and re-imaged it. I echo Revan when it comes to the free ones, though for paid I would recommend Bitdefender or Trend over Kaspersky.

I would have recommended Bitdefender last year, but this year's release has issues with zero-day protection and ransomware protection. Kaspersky is the #1 for me right now. Hopefully Bitdefender can get back on top soon.
My Cowboys Journal

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:44 pm

I've used Avast for 6 years and I absolutely love it.
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”