XOR NFL Challenge

Anything and everything.
tvannaman
Rookie

Re: XOR NFL Challenge

Postby tvannaman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:39 pm

The hardest thing is designing a UI that makes sense. I've already changed the flow several times as I work my way thru. I've added a coaching concept. There is a repository of head coaches and they are assigned to each team. Each game played will be logged with the existing head coach. Coaches will be randomly fired and retire and new ones will take their place, each with their own Off/Def personalities. I may even have coaches that don't get fired occasionally change one or both of their Off/Def personalities to keep things organically changing. I may add in some type of modifier as some coaches like Buddy Ryan would never play anything but an aggressive defense, but he might fluctuate on offense. Some coaches change, others go down with the ship. lol

So far, I'm doing the drudgery things such as adding functionality to build the necessary tables, create/edit teams/players/coaches. I can now load/unload rosters. With this functionality, I plan on modeling multi-game injuries. Players will age with time and thus their abilities will change as time goes by. There will be a college draft, retiring, training camps, etc. I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible but leave out the salary cap stuff. I've never liked having to deal with that in a sim.

Right now, I've started tackling scheduling. I have 3 schedule templates for a 28 team, 6 division, 16 game season. I went back over previous seasons and modeled what I found. I'll have to do the same for a 32 team, 8 division, 17 game season, but would really like some kind of algorithm that would allow me to dynamically figure out scheduling on the fly rather than having to manually create a template every time the league changes.

- Tim.

Sponsor

Sponsor

stratonascar
Veteran

Postby stratonascar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:16 am

Are you going to add a scheduling template for College Football?

Or what about the USFL?

Or Anything Else like different league sizes no matter if it's 10 or 100 Teams or something like that?

Nps
Rookie

Postby Nps » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:39 pm

The fullback position doesn't get many carries, can you change that?

zonecadet
Rookie

Postby zonecadet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm

Nps wrote:The fullback position doesn't get many carries, can you change that?

I assume you are playing the game with the AI running head to head, you're not actually calling the plays. So, yes, the game features the HB or the FB depending on the team's strengths and offensive persona but IF the FB is rated 3 (or more) points in RUN higher compared to the HB the FB will get the carries.

zonecadet
Rookie

Postby zonecadet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:51 pm

tvannaman wrote:
zonecadet wrote:
tvannaman wrote:Anybody know how to mod the curves.nfl file or at least know what the numbers mean?

Tim.

Actually yes. You can't modify all of them and get results but you can customise it a bit. For instance I have lowered the long field goal range to decrease attemts and kicker's success rate for my 1980s leagues.

I'd be interested in what changes you made and what changes didn't work.

G'day, message me direct (I have no idea how you do that, I assume you do) and I'm happy to share what I know. The Curves File is changable but not all changes take effect,..... very frustrating......

racepug
Rookie

Postby racepug » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 am

tvannaman wrote:I'm learning how to use Delphi C++ builder to take my 30+ year old code into the 21st century.

My "specialty" (if you will) is in (constantly) updating the all-stars rosters (that XOR® came out with around 1989) and using those to conduct an "All-Time Greats" season (actually, I'm on my 3rd "Greatest Players of All Time" season right now). I would be especially interested in finding out if you have any success in altering some basic elements of the game (such as the roster size - I would love it if it could be bumped up to, say, 53 - and types of plays). Thank you.

stratonapba
Rookie

Postby stratonapba » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:14 pm

racepug wrote:
tvannaman wrote:I'm learning how to use Delphi C++ builder to take my 30+ year old code into the 21st century.

My "specialty" (if you will) is in (constantly) updating the all-stars rosters (that XOR® came out with around 1989) and using those to conduct an "All-Time Greats" season (actually, I'm on my 3rd "Greatest Players of All Time" season right now). I would be especially interested in finding out if you have any success in altering some basic elements of the game (such as the roster size - I would love it if it could be bumped up to, say, 53 - and types of plays). Thank you.

As Ron Popeil would say: "But Wait There's More"

If Any Of The Players from the All-Time Greats Season Disk which was released by XOR in 1989 weren't part of the Updated Version as of the Conclusion of the 2021 NFL Season, They could go to the New All-Time College League or play one of the New Expansion All-Time Greats Teams for NFL Challenge that weren't part of those 32 Teams.

Also: I Want to have CFL Rosters for NFL Challenge, So if anyone wanted to take the Challenge on Creating on Past Seasons for the CFL as well as More College Teams (and maybe Seasons), Please Let Us Know!

stratonapba
Rookie

Postby stratonapba » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Well In Order to Keep NFL Challenge Alive, I'm Planning to add the features that were NOT in NFL Challenge so they could be included in the new Freeware Edition of NFL Challenge so we can send it to tvannaman and here it is.

* Adjust the Quarter Length from 15 Minutes (You Can Use Have 5 Minutes, 8 Minutes, 10 Minutes or 12 Minutes in addition to the 15 Minutes)
* 2010 NFL Overtime Rules
* College Overtime Rule
* 2-Point Conversions following PAT
* 2015 XP Rules PAT
* Running a Single Season or do Career Mode (Multi Season)
* Multiple Game Injuries (Season Play only)
* Use the College Poll, When Playing a Season with the College Football Teams
* Setting the Kickoff at the 30, 35 or 40
* Setting the Touchback at the 20 or 25
* Setting the PAT Attempt at the 2 or 15
* Instant Replay Challenge
* Team Creator (So You Can Make Your Team by Generating Players and Ratings without converting it from Madden to XOR before you can edit it by Renaming Players however these files maybe compatible with the DOS Version of this game and can be played on DOSBOX)
* Player Photos
* Team Logos (You Can Assign Them to their Season File if you like)
* Field Art
* The Scoreboard will be displayed similiar to the Macintosh Version pictured below here.
* Weather Conditions
* Run a Custom League in the Pro or College Level
* Historical Rule Sets or Create Your Own
* Custom League Names
* Custom Schedules
* CFL Rules (3-Down Football, 12 on 12 Football, 110 Yards, etc.)
* Tecmo Super Bowl Inspired Graphics

That's What I'm going to see if NFL Challenge will now have to upgraded by tvannaman using a Delphi C++ Builder

So, I'm Planning to Work on the 2022 and the Projected 2023 NFL Season for NFL Challenge which will be uploaded as part of the New NFL Challenge ZIP File along with those from Previous Add-On Packs from Challenge that were previously on my other account.

However I'm Trying to Look For the Actual 1986 NFL Challenge Season Disk along with the NFL Greatest Teams and the ESPN Dream Season Disk plus the 1990 and 1991 NCAA Football Season Disk as well as the NCAA Football Alumni Disk if anyone has it let me know.

Plus: I'm Expecting To Create New Classic College Football Teams to NFL Challenge which involved Teams involved a Player went on to winning the Heisman Trophy that weren't on the list since 1960, So Here's What I'm Going to See.

1961 Syracuse (Ernie Davis - RB-FB-LB)
1962 Oregon State (Terry Baker - QB)
1963 Navy (Roger Staubach - QB)
1964 Notre Dame (John Huarte - QB)
1965 USC (Mike Garrett - RB)
1966 Florida (Steve Spurrier - QB)
1969 Oklahoma (Steve Owens - FB)
1971 Auburn (Pat Sullivan - QB)
1972 Nebraska (Johnny Rodgers - WR-RB)
1973 Penn State (John Cappelletti - RB)
1974 Ohio State (Archie Griffin - RB)
1990 BYU (Ty Detmer - QB)
2001 Nebraska (Eric Crouch - QB-WR)
2002 USC (Carson Palmer - QB)
2003 Oklahoma (Jason White - QB)

And Those Who Went on have a Player being chosen in Next Year's NFL Draft dating back to 1960

1960 Tulane (Tommy Mason - RB)
1962 Oregon State (Terry Baker - QB)
1963 Texas Tech (Dave Parks - WR)
1964 Auburn (Tucker Frederickson - RB)
1965 Texas (Tommy Nobis - LB)
1969 Louisiana Tech (Terry Bradshaw - QB)
1971 Notre Dame (Walt Patulski - DE)
1972 Tampa (John Matuszak - DE)
1973 Tennessee State (Ed "Too Tall" Jones - DE)
1975 California (Steve Bartkowski - QB)
1989 Illinois (Jeff George - QB)
1992 Washington State (Drew Bledsoe - QB)
1993 Ohio State (Dan Wilkinson - DT)
1995 USC (Keyshawn Johnson - WR)
1999 Penn State (Courtney Brown - DE)
2001 Fresno State (David Carr - QB)
2003 Ole Miss (Eli Manning - QB)

So I'll Keep It Posted ASAP.

stratonapba
Rookie

Postby stratonapba » Tue May 02, 2023 3:17 am

And So I Made It Official, The 2023 NFL Challenge Edition is now available to the Public at the Wayback Machine, Because It's a Beta Version but the Next Update will have the 2023 Post-NFL Draft Roster File as well as More College Teams

Here's The Link if you want to Download and give it a go: https://archive.org/details/nfl-challenge-2023-edition

Skrabec23
Rookie

Postby Skrabec23 » Sat May 06, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi Thank You for all your work on this version. I downloaded and tried to run a game, but I received a NFL file not found error, then a no PLYB file, then no curve file, then no starting lineup or roster count error. I obviously didn’t set the game up correctly….I kept taking the needed files from the previous version of the game. Is there some guidance on setting the game, or installing the game?Read me fie didn’t help much…..please help

Neil

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”