Drivers Test

Anything and everything.
NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Drivers Test

Postby NickyJ » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm

After reading that, I almost feel guilty. Compared to your test, mine was a cakewalk: Just drive and follow the instructor's route. No parallel parking, no reversing in the middle of the street (never heard of that one). Just stop lights and traffic signals.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu May 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Dude, where do you live? It's illegal to NOT look in your mirror when backing up. I got points off because my instructor thought I DIDN'T check my mirrors enough. And he let me parallel park twice so I could do it right. Advice for that part of the test: It's better to be away from the curb than hitting the curb. If you hit the curb, they'll likely immediately give you points off. If you're too far from the curb, they'll often let you try again.

And please pay close attention to the speed limit. That's a big one.

But yeah, my test was actually really easy. I drove around one block of a small town, parallel parked, did a three point turn, and went back to the DMV. He didn't even have me parallel park between vehicles. Only behind one. And about that, unless you're going to a busy city, you'll probably never need it. I've parallel parked once in my life after passing my test.

And reversing in the middle of the street is BS. Never heard of that, and it's dangerous.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

JSamuel wrote:
Kevin5455 wrote:So...are you going to take the test again? :)

JSamuel wrote:I'm probably going to take the test again on the 25th.

You're in 10th Grade...riiiggghhhhtt? Just asking. :|

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Thu May 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Kevin5455 wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
Kevin5455 wrote:So...are you going to take the test again? :)

JSamuel wrote:I'm probably going to take the test again on the 25th.

You're in 10th Grade...riiiggghhhhtt? Just asking. :|

Yes...

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Fri May 19, 2017 1:37 pm

RevanFan wrote:But yeah, my test was actually really easy. I drove around one block of a small town, parallel parked, did a three point turn, and went back to the DMV. He didn't even have me parallel park between vehicles. Only behind one. And about that, unless you're going to a busy city, you'll probably never need it. I've parallel parked once in my life after passing my test.

That's the NY test, I just passed a few weeks ago.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm

RevanFan wrote:Dude, where do you live? It's illegal to NOT look in your mirror when backing up. I got points off because my instructor thought I DIDN'T check my mirrors enough. And he let me parallel park twice so I could do it right. Advice for that part of the test: It's better to be away from the curb than hitting the curb. If you hit the curb, they'll likely immediately give you points off. If you're too far from the curb, they'll often let you try again.

And please pay close attention to the speed limit. That's a big one.

But yeah, my test was actually really easy. I drove around one block of a small town, parallel parked, did a three point turn, and went back to the DMV. He didn't even have me parallel park between vehicles. Only behind one. And about that, unless you're going to a busy city, you'll probably never need it. I've parallel parked once in my life after passing my test.

And reversing in the middle of the street is BS. Never heard of that, and it's dangerous.

Yeah, they said one of the things I did was go too fast in a school zone. Gotta watch those signs...

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around the mirror issue. I drove a 24' furniture truck for a few years and I couldn't do anything but learn to use the mirrors only. I think the instructor must have been on crack that day. That's why they put mirrors on vehicles.....to use them. I started driving back when there was no passenger side mirror on cars and I find myself using the mirrors even more now than when I started driving.
No parallel parking in my test, but i understand if it is a New York thing. I would think that parallel parking is a must know in the Big Apple. I did a lot of work in the downtown Chicago area and it was a must there as well.

I was going to say to stay calm and use common sense as a guide, but the mirror thing goes against all logic. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Edit: I just noticed that you are in OK. Do you live in OK City? I wouldn't think that OK is a hotbed of parallel parkers. My wife made a suggestion, find a friend that has a car that parks itself and use it. :lol:
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat May 20, 2017 1:11 am

madden07eurocat wrote:No parallel parking in my test, but i understand if it is a New York thing. I would think that parallel parking is a must know in the Big Apple.

I'm an hour north of the City, though, and I heard the test was easier even further north, so I went 40 more minutes north to take my test. It's a state-wide thing. Most people around where I live don't drive to the City. They take the train. I live relatively close (within 30 minutes) from New Hamburg, Beacon, Pawling, Patterson, Brewster, and Southeast train stations, all a part of the MTA's Metro-North system.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

I failed the test the first time I took it as well. It went great up until I was at the intersection to go back into the DMV parking lot - there was a pothole in the road right before the stop sign and I didn't want to stop in it, so I carefully avoided it and when I stopped, apparently the front of my car was "2 inches over the stop line" and the dude even had to stick his fancy camera out the window and take a picture of it...

Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I passed it the second time though...
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 pm

I passed my drivers test today.

She said I scored a 94. So I thought, "Wow, 94... that's pretty good." But then I remembered that I failed the first time.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”