What Are You Watching?

Anything and everything.
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: What Are You Watching?

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 pm

IndyRevoly wrote:I knew I recognized that guy!

Edit: Jeez, did he just, like, entirely not age between '98 and today?

Yea pretty much. I loved The Matrix (original only) and I when I saw it in the theater I picked up on a lot of similarities between it and Dark City. I loved both but I'd rank the Matrix higher (although my blind love for it has since been tarnished by the Wacko-ski brothers/sisters sideshow, the amount of material lifted from anime that I didn't know about at the time, and both of the sequels which were just A W F U L .

IndyRevoly wrote:If I was going to suggest sci-fi movies, we'd be here all day, so I'll throw out a few recent ones that I thought were really good/interesting:
Spoiler:
  • Sunshine, which was directed by the guy who made Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later and which is extremely good for the first two-thirds and then less good but still pretty interesting for the last third;
  • Arrival, which I thought was good until the ending completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief (points out the wazoo for being interesting, though);
  • Interstellar (less good and interesting than it is just really, really well-made, like Nolan films tend to be), Children of Men (set ten minutes in the future, so barely sci-fi but definitely speculative fiction);
  • and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which was basically Stanley Kubrick's (director of the movie 2001 that Trey listed) last movie that Spielberg went ahead and produced and directed (Spielberg directing was ultimately Kubrick's intention for the film) after Kubrick was too, er, dead to produce it.

I wanted to see Arrival and then some jerk who saw it on a pre-screening f'n spoiled the ending for me. I was so mad!

Interstellar was pretty great. Heard AI was awful actually, so I've never seen it. Sunshine is on one of my watch lists.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:22 pm

1312qohelet wrote:How about "The Flight Of The Navigator"?
I really enjoyed it as a kid. After watching for the first time, I checked the calendar every morning when I woke up. I was afraid of falling asleep and waking up years later - lol

That's hilarious.

I'd personally put it in the same category as like E.T. and maybe Weird Science. Great when I was younger, but hard to sit all the way through as an adult. At least for me.

On a side note, Big Trouble in Little China very much still holds up 30+ years later. Love it just as much as when I was a kid.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Currently watching Tim's Vermeer. Documentary produced by Penn and Teller; mostly about an obscure invention that Vermeer (renowned as one of the great painters) may have used to paint which basically allows even someone who has never painted before paint with great precision.

Halfway into it and it's extremely interesting so far. 5/7

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm

trey31 wrote:...the amount of material lifted from anime that I didn't know about at the time, and both of the sequels which were just A W F U L .

I wanted to see Arrival and then some jerk who saw it on a pre-screening f'n spoiled the ending for me. I was so mad!

Interstellar was pretty great. Heard AI was awful actually, so I've never seen it. Sunshine is on one of my watch lists.

I don't really see the lifting from anime that was done in The Matrix as particularly egregious; it's a fraction of the lifting from serials done in Star Wars, but I would guess that I and most others don't think that it detracts from that film. It's also worth noting that The Animatrix is completely freaking awesome and its segments are made by many of those people from whom the Wachowskis lifted (if we're sticking with that vernacular) The Matrix from.

Re: Reloaded, I'm actually one of those crazy people who liked that movie. Like, I liked it a lot. As far as Revolutions goes, if I ever figure out what the hell it was I saw, I'll let you know how I liked it (but no, seriously, that movie was a dumpster fire). As far as the Wachowskis' filmmaking reputation goes, Speed Racer is the sort of thing that makes you look with a much more critical eye at the makers' other works and wonder "Am I a moron for thinking this is interesting?" I mean, anyone can flop horribly with a sequel, but Speed Racer? Yeesh.

Arrival, to be honest, is worth seeing anyway, if for no other reason than because it's the sort of meditative science fiction that they just don't make on big budgets anymore (not that Arrival had a budget in any way comparable to all the copy-and-paste summer fare).

A.I. is an absolutely fantastic movie, and I'm really surprised you've heard it was awful. Most of the criticism I've heard for it was directed at the ending, which was... [I hid the following remark in a spoiler tag, though I'm of the opinion that nothing I said here would actually spoil anything.]
Spoiler:
Well, I don't want to give it away, and I'm not exactly suggesting it has a sad ending, but whatever the ending is, it sure as hell isn't the sort of happy ending mass audiences like. It's definitely an ending, so it's not one of those movies that mistakes getting really abstract for being deep. What I found was that many actually mistook it for being a tacked-on "happy ending" to a sequence that they thought was a more realist ending, but I think carefully reading the final scenes of the movie make it clear that there isn't a lot that's happy about it.
One movie neither of us mentioned was Minority Report. It develops some slight logical issues toward the end, but I think they are fairly slight and can be written off as unknowable quantities given the nature of the film's internal logic. Funny story, I remember seeing it with my father who, as we walked out, remarked "If Kubrick had directed that it would've been rated R and he would've shown the eye-replacement surgery." Kubrick probably would've had Malcolm McDowell abducted just so he could poke things in his eyes again, too, but alas, the world will never know. (Incidentally, A Clockwork Orange is science fiction worthy of seeing as well, although it's basically set Ten Minutes Into the Future and the actual science fiction part is mostly the abstract fascist government experimentation in pursuit of pacification.)
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:56 pm

trey31 wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:How about "The Flight Of The Navigator"?
I really enjoyed it as a kid. After watching for the first time, I checked the calendar every morning when I woke up. I was afraid of falling asleep and waking up years later - lol

That's hilarious.

I'd personally put it in the same category as like E.T. and maybe Weird Science. Great when I was younger, but hard to sit all the way through as an adult. At least for me.

On a side note, Big Trouble in Little China very much still holds up 30+ years later. Love it just as much as when I was a kid.

I feel the same way....haven't even seen F.O.T.N. in over 20 years.

I dig Big Trouble, too. I'll have to download that and watch it.
Speaking of Kurt Russel - Escape From New York is a classic low budget sci-fi. Snake Plisskin

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:20 am

1312qohelet wrote:Speaking of Kurt Russel - Escape From New York is a classic low budget sci-fi. Snake Plisskin

And after you watch Escape from New York, if you think "what I'd really like to see is an inexplicable parody of this in the form of this gritty film's sequel, and featuring action scenes where Kurt Russell surfs," be sure to check out Escape from L.A.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am

IndyRevoly wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:Speaking of Kurt Russel - Escape From New York is a classic low budget sci-fi. Snake Plisskin

And after you watch Escape from New York, if you think "what I'd really like to see is an inexplicable parody of this in the form of this gritty film's sequel, and featuring action scenes where Kurt Russell surfs," be sure to check out Escape from L.A.

Oh, I've seen escape from L.A. It was way too over the top. Bruce Campbell playing the plastic surgery doctor was funny. But, the high-speed surfing and Pam Grier playing a transvestite killer...it's silly.

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 am

1312qohelet wrote:Oh, I've seen escape from L.A. It was way too over the top. Bruce Campbell playing the plastic surgery doctor was funny. But, the high-speed surfing and Pam Grier playing a transvestite killer...it's silly.

I think that was pretty much the objective. I couldn't find it doing a quick Google search, but I read an article a couple of years back where Carpenter was basically saying that he thought it was a really silly sequel to try to make, so he just made a joke of it because the studio paid so little attention because of how little it cost and so he could get away with making a parody instead of a true sequel.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Spoiler:
IndyRevoly wrote:I don't really see the lifting from anime that was done in The Matrix as particularly egregious; it's a fraction of the lifting from serials done in Star Wars, but I would guess that I and most others don't think that it detracts from that film. It's also worth noting that The Animatrix is completely freaking awesome and its segments are made by many of those people from whom the Wachowskis lifted (if we're sticking with that vernacular) The Matrix from.

Re: Reloaded, I'm actually one of those crazy people who liked that movie. Like, I liked it a lot. As far as Revolutions goes, if I ever figure out what the hell it was I saw, I'll let you know how I liked it (but no, seriously, that movie was a dumpster fire). As far as the Wachowskis' filmmaking reputation goes, Speed Racer is the sort of thing that makes you look with a much more critical eye at the makers' other works and wonder "Am I a moron for thinking this is interesting?" I mean, anyone can flop horribly with a sequel, but Speed Racer? Yeesh.

Arrival, to be honest, is worth seeing anyway, if for no other reason than because it's the sort of meditative science fiction that they just don't make on big budgets anymore (not that Arrival had a budget in any way comparable to all the copy-and-paste summer fare).

A.I. is an absolutely fantastic movie, and I'm really surprised you've heard it was awful. Most of the criticism I've heard for it was directed at the ending, which was...

One movie neither of us mentioned was Minority Report. It develops some slight logical issues toward the end, but I think they are fairly slight and can be written off as unknowable quantities given the nature of the film's internal logic. Funny story, I remember seeing it with my father who, as we walked out, remarked "If Kubrick had directed that it would've been rated R and he would've shown the eye-replacement surgery." Kubrick probably would've had Malcolm McDowell abducted just so he could poke things in his eyes again, too, but alas, the world will never know. (Incidentally, A Clockwork Orange is science fiction worthy of seeing as well, although it's basically set Ten Minutes Into the Future and the actual science fiction part is mostly the abstract fascist government experimentation in pursuit of pacification.)

From 1999 until 2003 I thought The Matrix was the second greatest movie I'd ever seen (The Empire Strikes Back is still my #1). At this point it's still probably in my top 10 but the Wackoskis and sequels really detract value from it. I saw Reloaded 2-3 times, I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't like it. Then when Revolutions came out that sealed it for me. I watched it twice and the second time I decided I was washing my hands of the sequels existence; I would just pretend I never saw the sequels and that they didn't exist. Didn't work. To this day I can't watch the last 2 minutes of The Matrix without disappointment knowing the sequels could have been amazing, but instead their very existence diminishes the original's ending.

Never saw Speed Racer. I liked the show when I was a kid. Heard it was awful so I avoided it.

Arrival is on one of my watch lists but I keep skipping it; it's not just the ending, I heard spoilers from the entire plot. Same thing happened with Saw, I heard the plot and twist, then went and saw (#pun) it anyway and was extremely disappointed.

While I think Minority Report is great, it would have been amazing directed by Kubrick though. Never thought of it like that. And that Lexus is still über cool.

Clockwork is right up there with 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and A Boy and His Dog; a classic.

Apparently there are quite a few people who hate The Book of Eli, which I loved.
Spoiler:
Major Spoilers. I watched it with someone who had already seen it and 10 minutes into the movie I asked if he was blind, and was told "ugh... seriously? Just watch the damn movie." I wouldn't say it was obvious, but the way he felt the skeleton's boots in the car, then touched the dishes in the cabinet and pushed them into other dishes, and then right after that he bumped into the table (chair?) while he was walking before he opened the closet with the hanging corpse. Anyway, I wasn't caught off guard by the twist/reveal and didn't mind the premise of the book at all. Apparently quite a few people didn't care for it, but I loved it.

Also didn't mention Oblivion in my earlier list, some people also didn't like it, but again I thought it was great. Same with The Island.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 pm

trey31 wrote:Currently watching Tim's Vermeer. Documentary produced by Penn and Teller; mostly about an obscure invention that Vermeer (renowned as one of the great painters) may have used to paint which basically allows even someone who has never painted before paint with great precision.

Halfway into it and it's extremely interesting so far. 5/7

Finished this last night. Even if you don't like art, this is a must-see documentary. Absolutely intriguing all the way through.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”