What Are You Watching?

Anything and everything.
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: What Are You Watching?

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 pm

1312qohelet wrote:The Time Machine

Love this film. 1960 release of course; not the remake.

In case anyone else is interested in sci-fi films; here is a short list of some of my favorites:

• 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • A Boy and His Dog
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Blade Runner
  • Dark City
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Ex Machina
  • Mad Max/The Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome/Fury Road
  • Moon
  • Pandorum (It's kind of like Dead Space)
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
  • The Thing (original & remake)
  • The War of the Worlds (1953)
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Spoiler:
RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:Recently I saw that movie Storks... Everybody had been saying it was so good, but I thought it was a piece of trash. A literal piece of trash.

I can imagine the writer saying, "Let's make a feel-good movie about a girl getting reunited with her family! It doesn't matter what the rest of the film is about; just come up with some random s***. Maybe something about storks. And throw some gay stuff in at the end, to make everybody happy."

Those kids movies are all garbage anyway these days. It doesn't matter what the movie is about, as long as it's a cartoon, parents will indefinitely take their kids to see it, and the studio will indefinitely make money. It's so stupid. Entertainment is retarded.

That's why I hate kids movies.

Really? You heard Storks was good? I heard it was crap.

Some kids stuff is awesome, if it's written not to be "kids good" but to be just "good." Pixar has a lot of great movies. The Lion King is a great movie. Zootopia was pretty good. And as for "kids" stuff on TV, I will always love the first three seasons of Spongebob, along with other late-90s, early-00s Nickelodeon stuff. And the greatest animated show of all time, in my opinion, is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I loved it when I was 9 and I love it still to this day.

Legend of Korra

Spoiler:
, being from the same writers, was also quite great. It falls in just behind Avatar, Futurama, and Rick and Morty in my animated TV list.

I see your Legend of Korra and I raise you one "Clerks." (NSFW if you have loud speakers)

My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 pm

RevanFan wrote:It's fantastic. Much better than Iron Fist.

Oh thank god! I couldn't finish Iron Fist. 4-5 episodes in and I just had enough and quit watching.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 pm

trey31 wrote:I see your Legend of Korra and I raise you one "Clerks." (NSFW if you have loud speakers)

God that show was terrible......

Avatar The Last Airbender was really where it was at ;)

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Neal M wrote:Last Sunday was the worst: no football and no GOT.

No Rick and Morty, either. I tried to make up for it by starting The Man in the High Castle, but after the episode ended, I realized I'd watched the premiere of season two. :oops: So I guess I'll wait to forget about that and give it another try from, you know, the beginning next time.

Edit:
trey31 wrote:In case anyone else is interested in sci-fi films; here is a short list of some of my favorites:

Spoiler:
  • A Boy and His Dog
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Blade Runner
  • Dark City
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Ex Machina
  • Moon

If I was going to suggest sci-fi movies, we'd be here all day, so I'll throw out a few recent ones that I thought were really good/interesting:
Spoiler:
  • Sunshine, which was directed by the guy who made Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later and which is extremely good for the first two-thirds and then less good but still pretty interesting for the last third;
  • Arrival, which I thought was good until the ending completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief (points out the wazoo for being interesting, though);
  • Interstellar (less good and interesting than it is just really, really well-made, like Nolan films tend to be), Children of Men (set ten minutes in the future, so barely sci-fi but definitely speculative fiction);
  • and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which was basically Stanley Kubrick's (director of the movie 2001 that Trey listed) last movie that Spielberg went ahead and produced and directed (Spielberg directing was ultimately Kubrick's intention for the film) after Kubrick was too, er, dead to produce it.
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 pm

trey31 wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:The Time Machine

Love this film. 1960 release of course; not the remake.

In case anyone else is interested in sci-fi films; here is a short list of some of my favorites:

• A Boy and His Dog
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Blade Runner
  • Dark City
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Ex Machina
  • Moon

How about "The Flight Of The Navigator"?
I really enjoyed it as a kid. After watching for the first time, I checked the calendar every morning when I woke up. I was afraid of falling asleep and waking up years later - lol

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Kevin5455 wrote:God that show was terrible......

I had to fix this post. For some reason, the original post broke the page, at least for me. Removing one of the nested quotes fixed it.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:04 pm

RevanFan wrote:
Kevin5455 wrote:God that show was terrible......

I had to fix this post. For some reason, the original post broke the page, at least for me. Removing one of the nested quotes fixed it.

Thanks...I didn't notice that

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 pm

IndyRevoly wrote:No Rick and Morty, either. I tried to make up for it by starting The Man in the High Castle, but after the episode ended, I realized I'd watched the premiere of season two. :oops: So I guess I'll wait to forget about that and give it another try from, you know, the beginning next time.

Haven't started season two yet (because amazon has been on my shit list for most of the last year) but season one was phenomenal. Produced by Ridley Scott's production company Scott Free. Rufus Sewell is great as Obergruppenführer Smith, Sewell also starred in Dark City that I listed earlier, and his character's... deviation... late in season one was just fantastic.

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 pm

trey31 wrote:Sewell also starred in Dark City that I listed earlier, and his character's... deviation... late in season one was just fantastic.

I knew I recognized that guy!

Edit: Jeez, did he just, like, entirely not age between '98 and today?
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”