Why periodically updating windows via iso files is great for games.

Anything and everything.
ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 am

Hi everyone, been a while but wanted to share something interesting I have discovered regarding windows.

If you update windows via downloaded update iso's (windows 8.1 with latest update to march 2017) for example. I found that not only do games run smoother, but a lot of windows processes lagging the game are more efficient and also battery life (laptop users) is increased by 10-20% length. Compared to the online updates where you download over the web each update, this bogs down your computer/screws up your games.

If anyone is interested here are my recommendations for how to update windows without messing up your games....

First, use a tool like Aoemi partition assistant or acronis to make a clone of your current hard drive/partition as a backup in case updating slows your game down you can always revert to this earlier disk image.

Second, download an iso file with updates and DO NOT download updates via the web/windows update....

Third, extract the iso to usb or burn to dvd/blu ray disc.

Fourth, boot into your windows desktop, then click usb/dvd with Win8 or 10 iso file and click setup.

Fifth, select the keep files and upgrade choice.

Sixth, leave your computer on and let it auto update/restart several times (it takes a while 1-1.5 hrs)

Seventh, test out your games/check your battery life

Eighth, turn off optional windows services.....I turn off windows games b/c I don't use them, HyperV (no use if you don't have a virtual machine), turn off Cortana/ink recording (waste of time again lol),

A great tool I recommend is O&O Shut up 10, it turns off all the tracking/useless services that lag your pc esp on win 8.1 and 10.
Turn off your windows defender active protection crap...this slows your computer down like crazy however, if you do online gaming/or your partition is always connected to the internet it may be wise to keep this setting on or use a 3rd party tool like C cleaner to monitor your computer. If you're like me and have a separate gaming partition (no online connection) turn off Windows Defender and yoru gaming speed/fps will increase along with free memory for your game to use.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

If anyone has any other helpful hints/stories about updating and gaming results/performance after updating please share....

Also, do not waste your time downloading so called "windows 10 gamer edition" builds as they are just stripped down versions of windows 10 enterprise edition and are useless, believe me I have tried them and they do not work.....they don't have the necessary .net frameworks and are extremely glitchy.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”