New Users - Introduce yourself here

Anything and everything.
StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:40 am

New users who wish to make their first post, and really have no other reason for posting other than to make their first post or gain access to the downloads, please do so here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

BritishBear
Rookie

Re: New Users - Introduce yourself here

Postby BritishBear » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi, I'm a long-time Bears fan (old enough to remember the Ditka years) and aficionado of Madden 08. I'd just like to offer thanks to everyone who has helped make this site what it is - cheers!

IndyRevoly
Veteran

Postby IndyRevoly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Should've read the whole rules thread instead of just the main post before I started posting. Hopefully you'll forgive my three pre-introduction posts. :oops:

I'm a lifelong Raider fan who's first football video game was Madden NFL '97 for the Sega Saturn. Before that, I grew up on a football strategy card game that was like Strat-o-Matic but different enough from what I can piece together about Strat-o-Matic's gameplay that I'm certain it was a different brand of football card game. I got '98 for the Saturn (touch passing! ooh la la), then the Saturn was discontinued and I got '99 for the PlayStation, as well as the next three games.

I got 2003 on the PlayStation 2, but then got 2K4 as I was underwhelmed by pre-release footage of 2004 that looked identical to 2003. Then the hype train before 2005 led me to return to Madden. I wound up selling my video games to get into music around that time, and a short while later picked up a GameCube and got 06 for it. I got 07 for the PC and was disappointed in its similarities to '05 for the PS2, so I got a copy of ESPN NFL 2K5 for an Xbox I'd picked up cheap off a friend around then (this was back when EA had just secured the exclusive NFL rights, and so people furious about that and talked up 2K5 a lot; it was actually extremely polished, with incredible presentation, and had very good-but-somewhat-sluggish gameplay in a game where that couldn't really be written off as a consequence of simulation-style gameplay, given that part of the gameplay also involved mashing a button to sprint).

I got a PS3 at that point, for which I picked up 07, which was utter trash; the game was akin to watching the all-time late greats of pro football climb out their graves and begin lining up and going at it as limbs and teeth fell off of them. Nothing about it felt real; it was a masterclass in the presentation of artifice. 08 came out and was supposed to be really good on the 360 and PS3, but I balked at the price tag, considered getting the one-sixth cheaper PC version but realized that it was a port of the fifth-gen game and balked at that too, and then wound up getting the PC version a few months later when the price had dropped considerably. At some point after that, I played APF 2K8 for around a year when, anticipating the release of Backbreaker, my PS3 died and I returned to the warm embrace of my PC and Madden NFL 08 and came across the Football Freaks website.

In the interim, I've played a few of the Maddens that have come out. I've never been that impressed. Either the player you controlled would feel like they were skating with great agility, or there wouldn't be anywhere near the depth of pre-play options, or there would be all kinds of bugs, or the A.I. was prone to rubber-banding, or some seemingly-minor thing on the control scheme is moved to a strange place and you realize that the minor things need to be accessible, too. What I'm saying is, I think 08 is probably the best football simulation made to date. It has its bugs, and it was already built on old bones when it was released (I think they started using the engine for it with 04 or 05), and it wasn't even the new-generation version of Madden when it was released, but I can do everything I want to do in it. I don't miss tackles because of glitches or unpredictable responses to button presses, I miss tackles because the player doing the tackling is out of position. Receivers don't clip through my defenders when they catch bombs, they catch bombs because I should have Sean Smith in zone coverage, not man-to-man. As much as I may fight with the sliders in order to get competitive games, I do get competitive games, and beyond being able to block computer field goals over half the time on any difficulty, there's not a lot of cheese you can pull on the computer. The control scheme seems perfect. The graphics show me all the information I need, albeit virtually none of the information I don't, but how much can I complain? The game's turning ten in a month.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure I played that first Arena football game that was on the Xbox, the one that used the Madden engine running at 150% speed or something.
#71,890,810,827,091 on the list of things that I can't do

reducing
Rookie

Postby reducing » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 am

Hello, new to the forum. Excited what you guys have here and looking forward to getting involved. I've been disappointed with the flagship game for many years now and decided to finally look for something different. Hoping this game turns into a cross between Front Office Football and Madden, so teams and players progress realistically and building an actual team is a challenge. Thanks for all the hard work!

Steel Penguin
Rookie

Postby Steel Penguin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:47 am

Hi,

I'm completely new to NFL and Madden. Watched my first NFL games week one of this season and hooked! Going to get started with Madden 08 once I understand a little more about the real game. Formations and plays are the main biggie for me to get a better understanding of. I understand the basic rules enough to watch games and know what's going on.

I am a big Pens hockey fan so made choice of NFL team quite easy. Looking forward to learning and playing all things NFL! Envious of people who have followed the sport for years and years. Better late than never!

Comilius
Rookie

Postby Comilius » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi, new to the forum but have been a long time football fan and player of football video games, first one was from sierra, NFL 92. Recently got a computer working and have madden 2005 so am interested in getting it patched to where things work good, like frachise mode working properly etc. If not I guess I'll get a copy of madden 2008 and hope it works on this computer.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Comilius wrote:Hi, new to the forum but have been a long time football fan and player of football video games, first one was from sierra, NFL 92. Recently got a computer working and have madden 2005 so am interested in getting it patched to where things work good, like frachise mode working properly etc. If not I guess I'll get a copy of madden 2008 and hope it works on this computer.

Madden NFL 2005 is easily the buggiest Madden on PC. I don't know if you'll be able to get it to fully work. However, if you do want 08, you can get a download version on Amazon for $10, and we have mods that update the game to 2017.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

NoleFan
Rookie

Postby NoleFan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Good evening all! The names Audwin and my username is my initials ALM. Been a console gamer for 99% of my life but recently have been playing all the games that my off the shelf Toshiba laptop with Intel HD 5500 graphics card can handle. The reason for this is a 1 year old and a desire to game that hasn’t subsided. Console gaming was a challenge because he’s pretty active and staying up to play after he’s gone to bed got old. :D Enter that laptop and remembering that I bought Madden 08 from Amazon about 3 years ago!

That brought me here for the mods and I think I’ll be sticking around a while! Folks have been very helpful thus far especially @cdcool!

ElementalKazzoo
All-Pro

Postby ElementalKazzoo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 pm

I guess I'm not "new", but i started posting a few weeks ago. My name is Liam, and hello.

Electraspace
Rookie

Postby Electraspace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am

Hey y'all!

I've been a Saints fan since 2008, and my most recent Madden game is Madden 11. However, now that I'm in college, I don't have a console or an updated football game. That's why I'm looking into getting Madden 08 for the PC and modding it for 2017. The only thing holding me back is Amazon reviewers saying that the game won't install right on Windows 10.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”