AXIS FOOTBALL Series (Steam PC)

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: AXIS FOOTBALL Series (Steam PC)

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:36 pm

RevanFan wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
elguapo wrote:It says I need steam installed. Will the game run after I uninstall steam?

There is a Steam emulator that works with games if you don't have wifi enabled or start the Steam app.

Doesn't that only emulate Steam's online behavior? It doesn't let you run Steam games without Steam. I don't think it does, anyway.

I'm fairly certain, even if you have it in offline mode, you need to keep Steam installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

No problem, you are not correct, you don't need to have Steam installed or running to run Steam games through the SmartSteam Launcher. Nor do you need to have wifi or any active internet connection running to run the games without any issue. But you are correct in that it emulates Steam's online behavior 100%!

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Randall12 wrote:Here's some screen shots , You may litterly drop and drag an image off Google for Midfields etc.

DALLAS LAWMEN , That's the fake DALLAS Team :lol:

MY AXIS WASH SCREEN SHOTS.jpg

Those are nice, but I don't like the graphic's engine used for player animations in AXIS football. It reminds me of when Madden first came to PC. Even the Axis 20 version's game play & animations are outdated and needs major improvements. Otherwise it is a good game if you compare it to Madden 2001! Just my opinion!

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:31 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
Randall12 wrote:Here's some screen shots , You may litterly drop and drag an image off Google for Midfields etc.

Those are nice, but I don't like the graphic's engine used for player animations in AXIS football. It reminds me of when Madden first came to PC. Even the Axis 20 version's game play & animations are outdated and needs major improvements. Otherwise it is a good game if you compare it to Madden 2001! Just my opinion!

HA Yeah mean I see what you mean , and here's the thing I like the Old 2001 Madden :lol:

This can easily get a cult following of people who simply just do not like the Modern Games.

I know the EA SPORTS NHL is just horrible. If AXIS can do Hockey like this , GOLD RUSH for them.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Randall12 wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

HA Yeah mean I see what you mean , and here's the thing I like the Old 2001 Madden :lol:

This can easily get a cult following of people who simply just do not like the Modern Games.

I know the EA SPORTS NHL is just horrible. If AXIS can do Hockey like this , GOLD RUSH for them.

Yeah, if you can get past the t-rex/gator arms and dated graphics engine, it's very playable. And like you said, modding it is super easy! There's a large following of the Axis Football Series. I've got the 19 version, but it gets very little play.

But wait, I love the NHL 09 PC version (modded to 19-20 season). But every fight, the CPU always knocks me out! :oops:

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:47 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
Randall12 wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

Yeah, if you can get past the t-rex/gator arms and dated graphics engine, it's very playable. And like you said, modding it is super easy! There's a large following of the Axis Football Series. I've got the 19 version, but it gets very little play.

But wait, I love the NHL 09 PC version (modded to 19-20 season). But every fight, the CPU always knocks me out! :oops:

NHL 09 is great , See for me with NHL and Football , I like 1994 up to 2009 :mrgreen:

the new stuff to me feels like you need to use all 10 fingers to score a goal :lol:

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:42 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:

I think it gets a pass for that, though, because it's an indie football sim. You can't expect a small studio to have the visual budget of a massive AAA studio. And visuals and graphics are, in my opinion, one of the least important parts of a game. They're great, sure, but what matters most is the content of the gameplay and (if it's a game in which this exists) story. If a game has a great gameplay loop and great mechanics, graphics and visuals are just a cherry on top. Plus... there are plenty of shiny looking turds in gaming right now, many of them from AAA studios.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:11 pm

RevanFan wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

I think it gets a pass for that, though, because it's an indie football sim. You can't expect a small studio to have the visual budget of a massive AAA studio. And visuals and graphics are, in my opinion, one of the least important parts of a game. They're great, sure, but what matters most is the content of the gameplay and (if it's a game in which this exists) story. If a game has a great gameplay loop and great mechanics, graphics and visuals are just a cherry on top. Plus... there are plenty of shiny looking turds in gaming right now, many of them from AAA studios.

True, all good, but with today's pc power there is no reason for the gaming animations to look or feel 20 years old. The games you refer to aren't being 3D modelled or programmed using 386 architecture! So I do agree with you with the content aspect being deep enough to earn play time. The graphics are good enough. But the engines used for animation should at least be comparable to a 2020 minimum pc requirement level. Yeah you don't need a 4K TV & 16GB SLI graphics setup to play or enjoy the game entirely. But the game should be using 2020 3D modeling systems to at least be able to compete with the AAA studios.

I love Wolfenstein, Doom & Unreal. I have been playing the titles since I was a kid. But playing 1st gen wolfenstein or Doom doesn't compare to the graphical 3D models of next gen series which most used the Unreal graphic engine as a base along with the current pc architecture for them. So even a low budget title can be built using present time "low end" 3d modelling systems and still produce a stunning graphical 3D modelled game with solid animations included!

So I don't give them a pass for being cheap!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:30 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:So I don't give them a pass for being cheap!

They're an indie studio, and indie studios often have very little money for development. Indie games don't have the several hundred million dollar budgets that AAA games have. Doom Eternal, which isn't even the most massive AAA game out there, had a budget of $65 MILLION. A small studio can't be expected to be able to compete with games like that graphically.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:54 pm

RevanFan wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:So I don't give them a pass for being cheap!

They're an indie studio, and indie studios often have very little money for development. Indie games don't have the several hundred million dollar budgets that AAA games have. Doom Eternal, which isn't even the most massive AAA game out there, had a budget of $65 MILLION. A small studio can't be expected to be able to compete with games like that graphically.

That's a biased way to look at it. Just because it's an Indie Studio game developer, does not meant that they have a very limited budget. And you'd only know that if you worked as a game developer for them!

Just look at Flutie's Maximum Football. It is a low budget game also, but the player in-game animations are far better than Axis Football. So, again you can produce a decent game from a company on a low budget that plays like a football game made in 2020 should look like. Not comparing it to EA Sports Madden Series or even 2K 08 Football, but the fact that Axis 2020 is the 5th edition of the series which began in 2015 clearly shows that they do have the resources, but not putting them in the game play animations.

And finally the game has shown game play improvements each version. So they are getting some things right and corrected. But it shouldn't take 10 years for them to produce the complete package they are striving to produce. Motion capture rendering is very old and doesn't cost a lot with the technology that's used today! Axis is surely an alternative to Madden. It has great features in the franchise mod and customization that the newer Madden lack. But again, they don't have to make any excuses to compete!

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Yeah I think the best way to put it for AXIS Football is.

It has the Simple ness of the Dinosaur football games with nicer graphics.

It's hard to explain but it totally appeals to me ,

I like the NES/Sega Genesis Era along with the Dreamcast/super early PS2 era of sport games.

Return to “Other Football Games”