Madden 17 and dissapointment

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 pm

I hadn't played Madden in about 4 years, it was on 360. I got 17 for PS4 seeing that there were plenty of rosters available to play a 2017-18 season. I set it up with rosters, spent hours trying to figure out how to get it to work for regular straight-forward season play that I do in all my sports games, finally got everything set up. It just so happens that at the same time I rediscovered 2K5 and the big community of people playing Madden 08 here. And there is something so much better, so much purer, so much more "football" about those two games. Madden17 is so... loud. And too in your face, and too much messy UI, and too many options, and just plain... too much. Half the time I don't know what I'm looking at, why, the controls are unnecessarily complicated, there is too much going on on the screen. I just don't feel like I'm playing a game.

I'm glad I got M17 used. But I may just go and sell it because the other two games are serving my current season needs perfectly fine. And I don't have to worry about stupid XP that I'm never gonna use getting in the way of everything I try to do. I'm glad I rediscovered older sports games in the past couple of months because I forgot how sports games should play and realised I had become completely hypnotised by the gaming industry (well, EA) into thinking that I actually liked where sports games were. I think eventually I just got tired of asking, why don't they do this anymore or where did that option go, or why is it so damn hard to just...play...a season?!

Anyway, glad all of you that update this game work so hard. I had forgotten that I liked football video games.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Re: Madden 17 and dissapointment

Postby Kevin5455 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 am

tinpanalley wrote:I hadn't played Madden in about 4 years, it was on 360. I got 17 for PS4 seeing that there were plenty of rosters available to play a 2017-18 season. I set it up with rosters, spent hours trying to figure out how to get it to work for regular straight-forward season play that I do in all my sports games, finally got everything set up. It just so happens that at the same time I rediscovered 2K5 and the big community of people playing Madden 08 here. And there is something so much better, so much purer, so much more "football" about those two games. Madden17 is so... loud. And too in your face, and too much messy UI, and too many options, and just plain... too much. Half the time I don't know what I'm looking at, why, the controls are unnecessarily complicated, there is too much going on on the screen. I just don't feel like I'm playing a game.

I'm glad I got M17 used. But I may just go and sell it because the other two games are serving my current season needs perfectly fine. And I don't have to worry about stupid XP that I'm never gonna use getting in the way of everything I try to do. I'm glad I rediscovered older sports games in the past couple of months because I forgot how sports games should play and realised I had become completely hypnotised by the gaming industry (well, EA) into thinking that I actually liked where sports games were. I think eventually I just got tired of asking, why don't they do this anymore or where did that option go, or why is it so damn hard to just...play...a season?!

Anyway, glad all of you that update this game work so hard. I had forgotten that I liked football video games.

Madden 08 is clearly better than the Madden football sims we get these days

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 pm

If you think '17 is bad, you should read up on '18.

EA has said publicly that they didn't dedicate enough resources to Madden this year due to the release of NBA Live. They said that. Publicly. Thats what it has come to. That is the BS company football fans are stuck with. Such a complete and total joke.

The football game we want and deserve just isn't out there. Its pathetic multiple products that are over a decade old are at the very least as good as the current edition. And those that didn't get on board with PC or 2K say Madden 12 is better than the current version.

Shame on EA.

Shame on the NFL for partnering with those clowns.

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:24 pm

AaronS wrote:The football game we want and deserve just isn't out there.
As far my needs go, what can be done with 08 is exactly what I want and need. I just don't have the patience for Madden17. Doesn't entice me in the slightest.

Like I said, those of us that like a more realistic experience have just swallowed that hyper-real graphics is enough. It's not. I see more natural movement in Madden08, NFL2K5, NHL04 and MVP2005 than in any contemporary game. Less individual personality? Sure. But when I'm in a tight third period, a 3rd and long in the fourth quarter down by 3, or getting out of a bases loaded jam with only one out, I gotta be completely honest, I couldn't care LESS whether a player looks a lot like his real life counterpart or not. And realistic cut scenes? I'm skipping right through those to get...to...the...game and get my win.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Wed May 27, 2020 7:58 pm

I havent played anything in years, till last night. pulled out ps3 slim.
I had other ps3/ps2 maddens but traded them in back then to get M15. I have 13, 15 and 25.

hey, its just games. Its animation and color and uniforms. I played by myself and it was fun.

sure, it looks silly, but what ya gonna do?

I still have my ps2 maddens. I need a controller. I didnt know 08 was a big deal. I thought 05 or 06 was. But they all kind of look and feel the same,dont they?

I like the fun purity of 01, to 04, and the ncaa early games.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PE4e ... AYw/videos

check that guy out. Still plays the older Madden games

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Wed May 27, 2020 8:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOWYLMf79o

check out this guy playing every madden in about an hour and 45.

he gets to Madden 2002 at 41:03. and praises it in/as the jump in graphics , play ability etc.

Return to “Other Football Games”