This is a three-part guide. In Part 1, you will learn how to enable online play for Madden 08 PC by patching the game to v4.0, and you'll learn how to update your rosters for a better multiplayer experience. In Part 2, you will learn how to install the Evolve Client; and connect to the Madden Live Online room, where you can find a match to play against. And finally, in Part 3, you'll learn how find an opponent, and play a game.
Ready? Let's get started.
Make sure you are not running any mods before you begin.
Part 1 - [Patching to v4.0; Updating rosters]
- 1. Download the v4.0 patch from here, and put all the files in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.
2. Download all the updated roster files from here, and put them all in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08 > Rosters.
3. [optional] Player portraits are not required to play, but if you want to use them, click here. Install the UIS_LIB_PLAYER_PORT.dat file in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.
3a. When you first download the player portraits file, it will be a .7z file. You will need to extract the .7z file using a program called 7zip to get the .dat file that goes in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.
That's it! If you want to make sure you installed the files correctly, start up Madden NFL 08. In the top right corner of the main menu it should say version 4.0. To make sure the rosters are correctly installed, click Menu on the Madden main menu screen, then select File. All the rosters you downloaded should be listed.
Now that you've finished that, it's time to move on to Part 2!
Part 2 - [Installing Evolve; Connecting to the Madden Live Online room]
- 1. Download and Install the Evolve Client from here. You will need to create an Evolve account, unless you already have one.
2. To join the Madden Live Online room, make sure you're logged in to Evolve on your browser, click this link, then click the Join the Party! button. It will open the Evolve application on your computer.
2a. If you have Windows 10, Evolve will not work unless you do this easy fix.
3. You should now be seeing this screen, or something like it:
4. You should see your name in the list on the right side, with a green dot and an IP address.
5. To test that you are properly connected to Evolve, pick someone's name in the list who also has a green dot, and right click on their name and select Ping. This will bring up a box that gives you important information. [Example: Reply from 10.50.214.26: bytes=32 time=108 TTL=128] The important part of this information is the time. this indicates how many milliseconds it takes to send and receive information from that person. You want 100ms or below for a lag-free game. If you ping someone and you get Reply timed out, it means that they don't have Evolve set up properly, and they cannot host a game. They still should be able to join a game if you host.
Got Evolve installed? Time for Part 3!
Part 3 - [Finding an opponent; Playing a game]
- 1. Connect to the Madden Live Online room by clicking the "Show hidden icons" button on your taskbar, then click the Evolve icon. Choose Friends, then double-click Madden Live Online to join the room.
2. Use the chat to find someone to play a game with you. Decide together which roster you're going to use, and who's going to host the game. Also, find your opponent's IP address from the list on the right, and copy it down. You'll need it later.
3. Start up Madden NFL 08. On the main menu screen, click Menu, then choose File, then load the roster you and your opponent decided upon.
If you are hosting the game, follow step 4a. If you're opponent is hosting the game, then skip to step 4b.
4a. Click Play Online on the main menu screen, then select Network Game, then choose Host Internet from the drop down menu and wait.
4b. Click Play Online on the main menu screen, then select Network Game, then choose Join Internet from the drop down menu. Enter your opponent's IP address that you copied down, click Connect, and wait.
If you have any questions, check the 7th post in this thread, or ask me.
If you have any comments, tips, or suggestions, feel free to let me know.
I'll see you on Evolve!