Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Re: Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

Postby BelieverInTeal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

KO'BBF wrote:I do agree and admit I am a smidge narrow minded.... but pro football is the only thing worth watching on tv.

Really? The Huskers weren't worth watching this season?

Sponsor

Sponsor

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 pm

BelieverInTeal wrote:
KO'BBF wrote:I do agree and admit I am a smidge narrow minded.... but pro football is the only thing worth watching on tv.

Really? The Huskers weren't worth watching this season?

ha!ha! Yeah, they were. (mostly) The Ohio State game and the Iowa were hard to watch, but I didn't miss a play. The Music City Bowl was a different story, who is that Derek Barnett :lol: anyway? Ryker Fyfe sucks! ha!ha!

What saddens me the most is football season is coming to an end and we don't have a nationally televised spring league to enjoy.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 pm

KO'BBF wrote:I have to honestly and respectively disagree. For me, football was a very important of my school experience. It taught me a lot of lessons about life and responsibility and how to interact with friends. There is also a lot of pride and passion that connects me with my school mates and my school because of football.

I know a lot of people who would rather watch Star Wars than play or be involved in football. I tell them, without sports life would be very boring. Super heroes are for people who are not proud of who they are and they want to look up to something artificial to inspire them. Athletes in the National Football League are real life heroes. They are human just like you and me, and they extend the limits both physically and mentally of humanity every Sunday on national television. And it starts with youth football, which is widely available because of public schools. It's how I got into the club.

I respect your opinion, man.

I understand the school pride angle, although I can't say I relate beacuse that wasn't my life experience. I got a job my sophomore year to fund my 'things that go fast' habit, so school sports just weren't my thing. And I was/am part of a family that is the exception to the norm in todays society. We were our own little fraternity. I didn't need sports to fill that hole in my life. But I can understand how vital that is for so many.

The teamwork part of sports is invaluable, and I do feel like that is something I missed out on. 'Selfish' may be the easiest way to describe society today. Being part of a team, especially at a young age can do alot to combat that. But again, I think that can be attained elsewhere, on a football field, just not in a school helmet.

Youth football doesn't have to go away, I just don't think a government funded entity has to be the one ultimately responsible for it beacuse of the liability it puts on them.

I love football. Football on Sundays. Monday Night Football. Tecmo Bowl. Brett Favre. Thanksgiving. John Madden. Flag football. The last thing I want to see is for it to go away. Thankfully I don't see that happening in my lifetime. IF it does, I enjoyed the hell out of the ride. But football is changing and has to change. I don't need football at the expense of individuals who *literally* destroy their lives.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Hooray! for football!!
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

SteelersFTW101
Pro Bowl

Postby SteelersFTW101 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm

KO'BBF wrote:Hooray! for football!!

I sorta understand the doctors for banning it because your brain gets damaged overtime even from small hits.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:44 pm

SteelersFTW101 wrote:

I sorta understand the doctors for banning it because your brain gets damaged overtime even from small hits.

Maybe your brain can be damaged, but that doesn't mean high-school football should be banned. Every kid has the choice to play. If someone wants to play football, then they should understand and accept the risks.

Nobody should have to ban any sport for safety reasons. People need to figure out that if they get hurt, it's their own fault. They chose to play that sport, and they need to accept the fact that they themselves are the reason for their injury. If they didn't want to get injured, they should have stayed home.

SteelersFTW101
Pro Bowl

Postby SteelersFTW101 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:51 pm

JSamuel wrote:
SteelersFTW101 wrote:

Maybe your brain can be damaged, but that doesn't mean high-school football should be banned. Every kid has the choice to play. If someone wants to play football, then they should understand and accept the risks.

Nobody should have to ban any sport for safety reasons. People need to figure out that if they get hurt, it's their own fault. They chose to play that sport, and they need to accept the fact that they themselves are the reason for their injury. If they didn't want to get injured, they should have stayed home.

You are correct

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I don't think getting rid of high school football is the answer, but getting rid of football before high school is certainly an idea I like. And more research needs to be done to find better ways to strengthen helmets and protect against blows to the head. I wrote a research paper on concussions in American football a year ago, and some of the stuff I saw in my research was mind-boggling and, quire frankly, sad.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 am

RevanFan wrote:I don't think getting rid of high school football is the answer, but getting rid of football before high school is certainly an idea I like. And more research needs to be done to find better ways to strengthen helmets and protect against blows to the head. I wrote a research paper on concussions in American football a year ago, and some of the stuff I saw in my research was mind-boggling and, quire frankly, sad.

Uh, Revan? I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

Kids have the option to play. That is their option and their decision. It is up to children and their parents. If they do not want to risk injury, they should stay home!

Why would you want to take that freedom away? I played football in 5th grade, and I had a blast. An injury free blast.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm

JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:I don't think getting rid of high school football is the answer, but getting rid of football before high school is certainly an idea I like. And more research needs to be done to find better ways to strengthen helmets and protect against blows to the head. I wrote a research paper on concussions in American football a year ago, and some of the stuff I saw in my research was mind-boggling and, quire frankly, sad.

Uh, Revan? I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

Kids have the option to play. That is their option and their decision. It is up to children and their parents. If they do not want to risk injury, they should stay home!

Why would you want to take that freedom away? I played football in 5th grade, and I had a blast. An injury free blast.

Because when kids are that young, I feel they should be doing things that will not carry a risk of causing them brain damage. The human brain is not fully developed until you are in your mid-to-late 20's. You HAVE to take that into account. It is irresponsible to know that so much brain damage can occur and still let young children take part. When they're old enough to fully understand the risk, like in high school, then give them that choice.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Return to “High School Football”