Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

Postby AaronS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am

Take football out of schools. Absolve School Districts of an unnecessary liability.

Set up something like American Legion Football Leagues.

Football doesn't have to go away. But its easily at the point where it doesn't belong in schools. Why should EDUCATORS have any part of kids knocking eachothers heads off?

.. the only answer is, like another morally corrupt institution (the NCAA) they want the $$$

Sponsor

Sponsor

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:08 am

AaronS wrote:Take football out of schools. Absolve School Districts of an unnecessary liability.

Set up something like American Legion Football Leagues.

Football doesn't have to go away. But its easily at the point where it doesn't belong in schools. Why should EDUCATORS have any part of kids knocking eachothers heads off?

.. the only answer is, like another morally corrupt institution (the NCAA) they want the $$$

I have to honestly and respectively disagree. For me, football was a very important of my school experience. It taught me a lot of lessons about life and responsibility and how to interact with friends. There is also a lot of pride and passion that connects me with my school mates and my school because of football.

I know a lot of people who would rather watch Star Wars than play or be involved in football. I tell them, without sports life would be very boring. Super heroes are for people who are not proud of who they are and they want to look up to something artificial to inspire them. Athletes in the National Football League are real life heroes. They are human just like you and me, and they extend the limits both physically and mentally of humanity every Sunday on national television. And it starts with youth football, which is widely available because of public schools. It's how I got into the club.

I respect your opinion, man.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 am

KO'BBF wrote:I know a lot of people who would rather watch Star Wars than play or be involved in football. I tell them, without sports life would be very boring. Super heroes are for people who are not proud of who they are and they want to look up to something artificial to inspire them. Athletes in the National Football League are real life heroes. They are human just like you and me, and they extend the limits both physically and mentally of humanity every Sunday on national television. And it starts with youth football, which is widely available because of public schools. It's how I got into the club.

I happen to be among those who would much rather watch Star Wars than play football. Unless it's Thanksgiving. Then I'm down for flag football, definitely. Football players are not heroes. Many of them are disrespectful of people. Many of them make their millions and waste them away on frivolous things. Many of them have never done a lick of good for society (I know many do, but many also do not.)

Good members of the military are heroes. Educators are heroes. Social servants, like Martin Luther King, Jr. (figured I'd mention him, as it was just his day), are heroes. Football players are not heroes, unless they genuinely do something good for society outside of football. And it has to be DANG good to call them a "hero".

Also, I love superheroes because I'm a huge nerd, not because I am not proud of who I am and need something artificial for inspiration. My inspiration comes from the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr., plus maybe a little bit of Bill Gates or Linus Torvalds for the computer nerd in me.

I'm glad that football was so good for you, and I'm glad you think it should be a thing from a young age, but it's not for everyone. Please don't make assumptions about why people do what they do. If you want to ask me questions about why I do what I do or like what I like, by all means do, but don't assume why I am who I am. (I'm making this statement seem personal, but I really mean it generally.)

Now, to ease the possible tension this post could create a little bit... what positions did you play when you played football? I genuinely want to know. I tried to get into baseball when I was a kid, but the coach was a... not a kind person. Didn't last long.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 am

:D No tension over here, friend. I respect your opinion. Science fiction isn't my bag, and I'm married to a big fan of the genre. I apologize for my tone, inspired by years of shaking my head at someone I love. :D I humbly respect her opinion as well.

I played both ways from middle school thru High School. I played a week and a half of small time college football before I got cut/kinda quit. :( they hit hard and run fast at that level I found out.

I mostly was a Monster Back, more of a Strong Safety kinda thing. I made the starting lineup at Strong Safety on that football-freaks roster that was around somewhere. woo!hoo! On offense I played Split End, but mostly it was blocking, because all we did was run the option and isos. Iso left, iso right, option....fumble. Those were my school day teams.

I'm pretty hardcore about football, but we all need a hobby. :D

I respect your goofy ewoks. It sure beats that Star Trek nonsense. :P
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 am

I used a bunch of emojis there to keep the tone light

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:21 am

RevanFan wrote:
Good members of the military are heroes. Educators are heroes. Social servants, like Martin Luther King, Jr. (figured I'd mention him, as it was just his day), are heroes. Football players are not heroes, unless they genuinely do something good for society outside of football. And it has to be DANG good to call them a "hero".

I'm not disagreeing with none of that in the discussion, they stand for themselves. Heroes are personal to people and can be anything that makes you want to be a better person. I agree with Martin Luther King Jr. and such. I do get inspired by Ronnie Lott. I'm not talkin' Ray Rice and Randy Gregory here, there are thousands of great football players who play the game for the right reasons. John Stallworth, look him up. I like athletes because there are several examples of personal sacrifice to achieve a goal, especially a team oriented goal. Some of the stuff I've seen is just darn special.

I do agree and admit I am a smidge narrow minded.... but pro football is the only thing worth watching on tv.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:02 am

KO'BBF wrote:I do agree and admit I am a smidge narrow minded.... but pro football is the only thing worth watching on tv.

Dude, you're watching all the wrong channels. There's some real quality shows out there. Granted, most of them involve superheroes... but everything in current pop culture involves either superheroes, Jedi, or an Iron Throne.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:09 pm

RevanFan wrote:Good members of the military are heroes. Educators are heroes. Social servants, like Martin Luther King, Jr. (figured I'd mention him, as it was just his day), are heroes.

As an USAF Vietnam era veteran AND as an ex high school teacher, the wisdom gained from my actual experiences allows me to know better what a hero is and we do not automatically qualify.
My personal standards for a hero are much higher.
I won't list my non football heroes here, because (like your list RevanFan) it might trigger a discussion that would likely verge into verboten territory.

As far as MLK goes, I 100% agree with this YouTube brother about his role in the programming of the American mindset.

Football players are not heroes.

Not automatically, but some of them do play the game heroically.
One of several NFL player that I used to know personally was Kellen Winslow.
The last time I was with him, I beat him in a game of 8-ball back in the 1970s at Mizzou.
So of course I kept my eye on him and back in the day
http://www.espn.com/blog/afcwest/post/_ ... blocked-fg
I was watching that amazing playoff game with friends in Detroit.
His was truly a heroic effort during that whole game, and I had my friends focused on the tight end from the beginning of the game, as he came through and shone.
Yes indeed, there are football heroes.

KO'BBF wrote:pro football is the only thing worth watching on tv.

Agreed. But I will watch the superhero/sci-fi TV shows after the commercials have been edited out.

Monday: Supergirl, Lucifer, Timeless
Tuesday: The Flash, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Wednesday: Arrow
Thursday: DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Currently In hiatus: The Expanse, Black Jesus, Dark Matter, The Colony
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 pm

I agree that this country has turned into a bunch of people that do not take responsibility for themselves or their actions. The use of the major sports leagues ( even though they become more business than sports), produce ICONS not heroes. I always placed my father as my hero, he served in WWII and in Korea, doctors, some of my teachers and all of the military men and women ( active,retired or deceased) I consider heroes.
Even though football is a COLLISION sport not a contact sport, it is an escape from what is going on in this world. Yes the studies of concussions have brought a lot of attention to the sport, but it is not just football were concussions happen. To make sure the understanding is known there are more concussed athletes in soccer( especially girls) than in football these days. I played football from sandlot, to High School ( LB/DT), to Semi-Pro (DT) and have coach kids full contact football league and High School.
I remember wearing a suspension helmet( almost as bad as the those leather helmets).
What has really happened to our country is that we rely on computers, social media that take away the use of common sense and the ability to use our brains to the maximum capacity. Not saying computers or social media is bad...but they do especially social media, makes people unaccounted for the actions.
Sorry if this has become more of a rant, so if you think that the evolution of football has condemned to becoming extinct because of concussions. Just look at the evolution of the athlete, equipment and the failure of proper technique and training. This understanding would lead to a better and safer way of playing a collision sport.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Please don't be sorry for sharing your opinion. It is valued.
Now this is some imagery that has always disturbed me a little, but some people really enjoy it.
Look at that audience.
Now who am I to deny them their fun?
For sure I don't have the goddcomplexx mindset.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Return to “High School Football”