Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

User avatar
MikeWest502
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 pm

BUS36 wrote:We played 6-2 , 6-2 offset and 6-2 pinch.. just that our corners bailed as the lead blockers just attacked their outside shoulders. Nothing that what we taught this year of attacking with your inside shoulder to their outside shoulder. If they would have done that we could have set the edge and forced everything back. We play tonight 4/5.


Gooooooooooo Atommmssss!

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

User avatar
RevanFan
Legend
Posts: 12228
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: New York

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby RevanFan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Since I'm pretty sure you're talking about your actual coaching job, I've moved this thread to the High School Football forum.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

User avatar
BUS36
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 am
Location: Springfield,Va.

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby BUS36 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 am

Well our season ended as it started two losses in a row ...we ended with a 2-4 record what looked like a promising end at 2 game winning streak ended in a blood bath. In the words of the great Vince Lomgardi " everyone is grabbing out there", guys over ran plays, poor pursuit angles and hey will push the guy down, instead of knocking the crap out of them.
The last two games our offense managed 8 points (a late 4th quarter 65 yard TD pass to a wide open Antoine Carter from Zack Taylor). Our opponents scored 72, 46 points ( 2-punt returns for a TD, Fumble return for a TD and yes a double pass for a TD).
The Freshman now hold the record for worst lost in school history with the 72-0 game vs West Potomac Wolverines.
Even though, this season was not as good as it could be..I look at it as 1. we were able to get all 6 games in without any COVID interruptions, 2. not really having any true athletes that could just dominate play and 3. I personnaly grew as a coach where at times not screaming at guys but talking to them and asking questions like .. what are they doing to you?,I know that you can give me more than what is going on, I trust you in doing your job...
I believe that 95% of the players will return next season for their sophmore year,
I all we made so plays ..not enough at times in games but from looking at it that we had 13 practices to get ready for our season. NO off season lifting or conditioning or OTAs..I believe that taking 30 kids and making into young men, was one of my better coaching years.
Image
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

User avatar
RevanFan
Legend
Posts: 12228
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: New York

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby RevanFan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:56 pm

It's too bad this season wasn't great, but I have every confidence next season will go well. Good luck!
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

User avatar
MikeWest502
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 pm

BUS36 wrote:Well our season ended as it started two losses in a row ...we ended with a 2-4 record what looked like a promising end at 2 game winning streak ended in a blood bath. In the words of the great Vince Lomgardi " everyone is grabbing out there", guys over ran plays, poor pursuit angles and hey will push the guy down, instead of knocking the crap out of them.
The last two games our offense managed 8 points (a late 4th quarter 65 yard TD pass to a wide open Antoine Carter from Zack Taylor). Our opponents scored 72, 46 points ( 2-punt returns for a TD, Fumble return for a TD and yes a double pass for a TD).
The Freshman now hold the record for worst lost in school history with the 72-0 game vs West Potomac Wolverines.
Even though, this season was not as good as it could be..I look at it as 1. we were able to get all 6 games in without any COVID interruptions, 2. not really having any true athletes that could just dominate play and 3. I personnaly grew as a coach where at times not screaming at guys but talking to them and asking questions like .. what are they doing to you?,I know that you can give me more than what is going on, I trust you in doing your job...
I believe that 95% of the players will return next season for their sophmore year,
I all we made so plays ..not enough at times in games but from looking at it that we had 13 practices to get ready for our season. NO off season lifting or conditioning or OTAs..I believe that taking 30 kids and making into young men, was one of my better coaching years.


Well, maybe you should have yelled to light a fire to motivate them instead of being passive! football is a game of passion, no time for singing Kum-ba-yah & holding hands!

It seems you've taken a different approach being less aggressive, hope you learned a valuable lesson giving the on-field therapy sessions! Sucks to have the worse loss in school's history, but hopefully the guys will better during the soph campaign! I'm glad you feel growth amidst the results! I'm sure the team will do better next season! I'm proud of you coach! Well done!

User avatar
BUS36
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 am
Location: Springfield,Va.

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby BUS36 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 am

MikeWest502 wrote:Well, maybe you should have yelled to light a fire to motivate them instead of being passive! football is a game of passion, no time for singing Kum-ba-yah & holding hands!

It seems you've taken a different approach being less aggressive, hope you learned a valuable lesson giving the on-field therapy sessions! Sucks to have the worse loss in school's history, but hopefully the guys will better during the soph campaign! I'm glad you feel growth amidst the results! I'm sure the team will do better next season! I'm proud of you coach! Well done!


The guys were not responding to all the yelling.. with me going to each of the defensive players I found out that they knew why they were getting beat... they were not playing hard.. Some responded by trying that much harder but as you know ... it take all 11 on each side of the ball to make things work. One guy a just threw in at DE no practice time at that position .. he played tremendous.. 5 solo tackles 3 for a loss.
9 th graders just need to experience true football.. youth leagues ..make everyone play. HS you play cause you earn that right to play. It seems that more kids get yelled at the more they start to shut down..thats why a started talking to them..Oh I did my fare share of yelling at them, but when you see it in their play.. it was what I thought what was needed.
Image
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

User avatar
MikeWest502
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:54 am

BUS36 wrote:
The guys were not responding to all the yelling.. with me going to each of the defensive players I found out that they knew why they were getting beat... they were not playing hard.. Some responded by trying that much harder but as you know ... it take all 11 on each side of the ball to make things work. One guy a just threw in at DE no practice time at that position .. he played tremendous.. 5 solo tackles 3 for a loss.
9 th graders just need to experience true football.. youth leagues ..make everyone play. HS you play cause you earn that right to play. It seems that more kids get yelled at the more they start to shut down..thats why a started talking to them..Oh I did my fare share of yelling at them, but when you see it in their play.. it was what I thought what was needed.


Does your school offer ROTC? :D

User avatar
BUS36
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 am
Location: Springfield,Va.

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby BUS36 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 pm

Not sure... but our Varsity coach spoke to the guys after the game about spring sports and each one need to have personal training for the last quarter.
Image
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

User avatar
MikeWest502
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm

BUS36 wrote:Not sure... but our Varsity coach spoke to the guys after the game about spring sports and each one need to have personal training for the last quarter.


Are you going to be coaching the same group as Sophs? Or are you going to remain coaching another squad of freshman? And which class would you prefer coaching?

User avatar
BUS36
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 am
Location: Springfield,Va.

Re: Annandale Atoms Freshman(Va.)

Postby BUS36 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 pm

After speaking with the head guy... he like me with the Freshman cause I teach the fundlementals.. he also knows I would love to work with the JV and Varsity guys. In a normal summer I work with the Varsity and JV guys , in stances, getting off the ball, downfield blocking,weight room and LB play(reading keys, taking on blockers, using off hand moves...etc). My day will come in upward movement..I learned more this year cause the lack of true athletes we had were I taught more.
Image
I bleed BLACK N GOLD


Return to “High School Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest