Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

AaronS
MVP

Re: Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

Postby AaronS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 pm

JSamuel wrote:People need to figure out that if they get hurt, it's their own fault. They chose to play that sport, and they need to accept the fact that they themselves are the reason for their injury. If they didn't want to get injured, they should have stayed home.

Yes, that's easy to SAY, and type.

We live in the land of frivolous law suits. Regardless of the self-assumed risk involved with football, there are still irresponsible human beings out there that can AND WILL file suit against the school districts that put on (and are ultimately responsible for) these football games.

Schools aren't being properly funded in the US as it is. Education in this country is falling behind many other developed nations. They don't need funding taken from them courtesy of damages being paid to former students and greedy parents.

.. nevermind the fact that its OUR tax dollar that would flip the bill.

JSamuel wrote:Nobody should have to ban any sport for safety reasons.

I don't want it banned.

But we're well past the point of no return regarding player safety, and there is nothing on the horizon to clean it up.

I think its grossly irresponsible to keep football as a part of publicly funded school systems.

Sponsor

Sponsor

PatrioticParty
Rookie

Postby PatrioticParty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm

School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.
John 3:16

Sadly,I'm not allowed to have this anymore. Why am I leaving it there? I don't know,I'm not sure. Any how, Read this instead:

MADE IN AMERICA,PROUD IN AMERICA,LIVE IN AMERICA!!!!!

ultimatum77
MVP

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

PatrioticParty wrote:School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.

well said....there is too much emphasis these days on sports and not on basic arithmetic or grammar.....that's why you end up with athletes who can't speak english or do math like mike tyson or even peyton manning who uses aint and ya'll which are not grammatically correct lol. Not hating on these athletes for their accolades but the truth is the education system failed them in one way or another....

Just look at the modern NFL or NBA draft.....players all over the world including USA, europe, asia all are great athletes but they can't speak basic english for an interview....we no shoot de tree in european basketball rofl.....and yet they make millions isn't it a psychotic world we live in?!
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

AaronS
MVP

Postby AaronS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 pm

PatrioticParty wrote:School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.

Public schools do it for the same reason colleges do - $$$$

Think about how much money Texas makes off high school football. Southern California. Florida. Just the State Tournaments alone. Nevermind the weekly rivalry games.

And I've heard that March Madness, the NCAA Tournament alone, generates enough money to fund ALL collegiate athletics. So imagine how much money FOOTBALL brings in?! Think of the BILLIONS of dollars they've robbed scholarship athletes of over the last 50 years.

Collegiate sports aren't going anywhere. Even if they have to start paying their athletes.

I don't believe it will be the same story with high schools. Not the way the funding is setup.

Squeeze
Veteran

Postby Squeeze » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am

I was 15 yo when I told my parents that I want to play football. They signed papers that they were aware of the risks that came with football so I could play. When I came to the them after a blow to the head with a bleeding elbow, my dad's reaction was "This is what you wanted so this is what you'll get." :lol: My dad often says that sports are good for kids because if kids are grinding on the field they can't do stupid things in their free time and end with problems. However let's not forget that besides football, sports like ice hockey, rugby and australian football have signs of CTE. But no one seems to care about that.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am

This is an EXCELLENT DISCUSSION.
People being able to express their opinions and feelings about a complex subject without being attacked, shows a mature mindset among the forum members.
Thanks.

I am afraid of the baseball.
I could not imagine being a catcher, even with all the equipment, it is a very dangerous position.
The pitcher is also very vulnerable if a rocket hits the noggin during the follow through.
And those broken flying bats, perhaps there should be a Plexiglas shield protecting the fans like in hockey?
Perhaps a ban is needed?
Or is it better to let well enough alone?
I think that you already know how I feel from the topic's title.
Allowing personal freedoms which do not cause involuntary harm to others is ALWAYS better than involuntary regulation (enforced by state violence).
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Squeeze wrote:I was 15 yo when I told my parents that I want to play football. They signed papers that they were aware of the risks that came with football so I could play. When I came to the them after a blow to the head with a bleeding elbow, my dad's reaction was "This is what you wanted so this is what you'll get." :lol: My dad often says that sports are good for kids because if kids are grinding on the field they can't do stupid things in their free time and end with problems. However let's not forget that besides football, sports like ice hockey, rugby and australian football have signs of CTE. But no one seems to care about that.

Even soccer (have CTE signs)... but no research or protocol was been created...

A concussion happen in the 2014 World Cup, and i don't see anyone talking about that
in the moment of the game...

ElementalKazzoo
Pro Bowl

Postby ElementalKazzoo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Gridiron wrote:This is an EXCELLENT DISCUSSION.
People being able to express their opinions and feelings about a complex subject without being attacked, shows a mature mindset among the forum members.
Thanks.

I am afraid of the baseball.
I could not imagine being a catcher, even with all the equipment, it is a very dangerous position.
The pitcher is also very vulnerable if a rocket hits the noggin during the follow through.
And those broken flying bats, perhaps there should be a Plexiglas shield protecting the fans like in hockey?
Perhaps a ban is needed?
Or is it better to let well enough alone?
I think that you already know how I feel from the topic's title.
Allowing personal freedoms which do not cause involuntary harm to others is ALWAYS better than involuntary regulation (enforced by state violence).

I was always scared of being a pitcher. You never know where that ball's gonna go.
Respecting people is an important part of life, whether it's the person doing janitorial work or the person above you. It doesn't matter who you are: I'm going to respect you. -Andy Reid

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:32 pm

When I was in middle school and high school I skated vert and street. I played on two baseball teams (pitcher, catcher, 3rd, short, 2nd, left and centerfield... we had inning limits, otherwise I'd have pitched near complete games every game, not bragging just saying it was a PITA to have to come out after 5 & 2/3 innings because of a weekly inning/out limit). I played football (strong safety, mike linebacker, and kicker). I played point guard until high school when I had to choose between sports. I played a few years of soccer as a kid too.

My $0.02... Football, regardless of age, should have a post-eligibility medical fund for players like the NFL does now. If it costs schools too much to do that, make it a private league not affiliated with the school(s).

You wouldn't believe the number of nagging physical health issues I had by age 20, including surgeries and crutches and walking boots and not being able to drive for extended periods of time.

I've been hit with baseballs in the jaw, ear, forehead, collar bone, shoulder, shoulder blade, vertebrae, hip, elbow, ankles, kidney, and numerous time in the "junk"... and in my opinion none of those (except the collar bone and ear, those hurt like hell) are even comparable to the concussions I got in football (including in practice via Oklahoma drill, which I absolutely LOVED... I cannot express how much fun it was to be a gladiator surrounded by chanting teammates, with the sole mission to just f*** up one of your brothers with your gladiatorial weapons known more commonly as shoulder pads, facemasks, and the front crown of your hit bucket, more recently known as a helmet).

From what I understand, they teach things differently now, but I was taught that what is now called "targeting" and "unnecessary roughness" and "leading with a helmet" were the keys to playing strong safety successfully at a high level. One of my defensive coaches found copies of VHS NFL film tapes that featured Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater. I was told to "Study and emulate." And for anyone jumping to catch a pass or running a cross, I was coached to " put [my] front crown on his chinstrap. Make that m*** f*** think twice about running routes anywhere near you for the rest of the game."

I hit a kid running a zip crossing route completely blindside as he was catching a quick pass. He was out cold. Before he was off the field I was rattled and my coach grabbed me by the facemask and told me to snap out of it, there was no flag, I hit him clean, go take out the next guy up.

It wasn't clean. I knew it.

Kids are kids, regardless of whether they are playing for a school or a private league, there should be a medical insurance policy provided to them for post-football life. That's what I think NCAAF should do with a large chunk of the money, the kids already get scholarship educations and paying them equal wages regardless of team/position makes less sense than providing long-term health policies, unless it is a small amount for groceries or transportation or something. But overall, I think the post-football medical coverage is more important.

Again, just my experience and $0.02

Return to “High School Football”