Clemson are your 2016 National Champions!

mike9472
MVP

Re: Clemson are your 2016 National Champions!

Postby mike9472 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm

elguapo wrote:Boring...

Same two teams from last year.

College Football is a monopoly.

Couldn't agree more, it'll never be fair until they expand the playoffs. Maybe have each conference champion allowed in, although they'd have to either create or get rid of a couple conferences to even it out. They also need to find a way to speed up the game, 4hour games are way to long. I prefer to watch games on youtube, there's a channel that cuts the games down to about 1.5 hours.

Sponsor

Sponsor

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 pm

mike9472 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, it'll never be fair until they expand the playoffs. Maybe have each conference champion allowed in, although they'd have to either create or get rid of a couple conferences to even it out. They also need to find a way to speed up the game, 4hour games are way to long. I prefer to watch games on youtube, there's a channel that cuts the games down to about 1.5 hours.

Could you give me a link to that channel?

GeneralSilent
MVP

Postby GeneralSilent » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:08 pm

JSamuel wrote:
mike9472 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OneHourFootball/videos
God bless america!

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:23 am

This is why I like the NFL better. With the salary cap you keep teams like the Cowboys from signing all of the pro bowlers thus keeping them from "monopolising" the talent.

You don't have that in the NCAA. Since players want to play and want to be noticed they will go and play for the only teams that are allowed to play in the championship. (Riged)

Today's dynasties are not built, they are being farmed with steroids because you don't have to develop the talent you have. You already have the talent coming in so coaches just need to win.

Dynasties are built like how the Patriots have done it. By trades drafts and good coaching. The Patriots don't have all the good talent coming in each year but contend almost every year. You can't say that about the championship schools if they didn't have all the good talent coming in each year.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 am

elguapo wrote:This is why I like the NFL better. With the salary cap you keep teams like the Cowboys from signing all of the pro bowlers thus keeping them from "monopolising" the talent.

You don't have that in the NCAA. Since players want to play and want to be noticed they will go and play for the only teams that are allowed to play in the championship. (Riged)

Today's dynasties are not built, they are being farmed with steroids because you don't have to develop the talent you have. You already have the talent coming in so coaches just need to win.

Dynasties are built like how the Patriots have done it. By trades drafts and good coaching. The Patriots don't have all the good talent coming in each year but contend almost every year. You can't say that about the championship schools if they didn't have all the good talent coming in each year.

The salary cap can be a good thing in keeping many teams competitive, but not overly dominant, but I've always hated the salary cap for one reason: It almost always prevents great players from finishing their careers with their original team. I'm still pissed about Dallas having to cut DeMarcus Ware due to salary concerns.

Now if they had a cap on signings, such as free agents, but not re-signings... that would be amazing.

Anyway, yeah, the NCAA's biggest problem is all the best players trying to go to the "best schools" for the notoriety. One of the reasons I can't stand to watch college football.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 am

GeneralSilent wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
mike9472 wrote:Couldn't agree more, it'll never be fair until they expand the playoffs. Maybe have each conference champion allowed in, although they'd have to either create or get rid of a couple conferences to even it out. They also need to find a way to speed up the game, 4hour games are way to long. I prefer to watch games on youtube, there's a channel that cuts the games down to about 1.5 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OneHourFootball/videos

Thanks, that channel's awesome. So much better than watching games for 3.5 hours.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 pm

RevanFan wrote:The salary cap can be a good thing in keeping many teams competitive, but not overly dominant, but I've always hated the salary cap for one reason: It almost always prevents great players from finishing their careers with their original team. I'm still pissed about Dallas having to cut DeMarcus Ware due to salary concerns.

I think the cap has run it's course if revenues stay where they are.

I think the big need is a salary FLOOR to prevent teams from purging their big salaries whenever they feel like it.

I don't think for a second that the big/great teams would spend money at will with no cap. Look at the late-80s/earlier-90s 49ers. They axed many of their top players *before* the cap was instituted. Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman. 14 Super Bowls between those 3...

NFL owners are billionaire businessmen who rarely make bad financial decisions. They won't waste money on bad investments.

And there isn't *true* parity in this League. People can talk about it all they want, but the same 4-6 teams are consistently on top of their conferences.

The Patriots are having one of the best runs of all-time. The Packers have made the Playoffs 8 years in a row. The Steelers, Seahawks, Giants and Colts have had tremendous success over the last decade. Heck, even the Bengals made were a playoff team for how long recently?

The cream rises to the top. The cap isn't as good for the NFL as people seem to believe.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 am

Why is that when the best high schoolers join the best college football programs it's wrong but when the best pro athletes join the best teams it's ok? Kevin Durant just signed with the Golden State Warriors last offseason. Does it suck for parity? Sure, but if the pros can do it, why can't the so called "amateurs"?

The best system IMO is what baseball has. The luxury tax, as opposed to a hard or soft cap, allows some teams to spend without a ceiling or a floor. It doesn't allow teams to spend unlimited amounts but if they go over a certain limit.

I'm no Yankees fan but when the Yankees were good (yes I used past tense there, so what?), they were signing a lot of the best players and I was fine with that. They built a dynasty and set a bar for everybody else to try to beat. I look at the NFL and aside from the Patriots, who else is setting a standard for everybody else to aspire to?

Let's not forget that as brilliant as the Patriots have been in identifying talent, they've also had a QB who has restructured his contract twice in order to give them cap room.

As for not needing the coach as much as recruit the best talent, there have been talent rich teams in the past that have failed and not as talented teams that have succeeded. If you look at when Saban took over at Bama, those teams were talented but they weren't winning championships. Now they've won four with him. Same with Michigan - the team was 31-20 under Harbaugh's predecessor and now he's taken guys who he didn't recruit and he's gone 20-6 with them.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:51 am

in the NFL case... like AaronS says.. a FLOOR is necessary... this could turn the league even better...
look at the Chargers scenario... probably they will suck for a couple seasons after this realocation... and also didn't invest
in the free agency...

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:09 pm

achernar wrote:in the NFL case... like AaronS says.. a FLOOR is necessary... this could turn the league even better...

Why should teams have to buy players just to reach a minimum? Imagine telling Chapé that they have to go into debt right now just to stay in the top division, even after what happened to them.

Return to “College Football”