Pay College Football Players?

Littleware
Banned

Re: Pay College Football Players?

Postby Littleware » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey guys I just wanted to weigh in on this topic. It's really simple for me... College athletes should be paid for what they do, male and female. Coaches don't fill the seats of the stadiums and arena's, players do! Nobody goes out to a game to watch the coach, coach a game, they watch the athletes perform! Who goes out to buy a coaches jersey, do they even make!?Never, Ever!!

Seriously... The real one reason why, it's simple... All Head Coaches, assistant coaches, and all staff member get some pay. Coaches in D-1 Football get an average salary of 1.2 million (stat several years). NCAA basketball coaches average around $400k annually. The coaches don't break legs, dislocate elbows, or tear ACL's, they don't sweat blood, or pass-out from heat exhaustion. They only talk about the game or the myth they teach a kid how to play the game better! Actually it's the practice, work ethic, daily dedication and long hours of studying the game that makes the athletes get better, not some half-baked self-motivational speaker! If a coach can get a $35 Mil. contract for 5 years for talking, and the institution NOT pay the real athlete's who are on the field bringing in the billions of dollars, then the year today is 1492, slavery does exist in America!

Seriously!?!?!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sidelion
MVP

Postby Sidelion » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:07 am

Considering an excellent coach at a major college is retained far longer than any of his athletes will ever be, uh, what?

So slaves in the plantations of the South got scholarships? A free college education to play a sport - gee, if only I were so damn lucky.
"Why do you go away? So that you can come back.
So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors.
And the people there see you differently, too."

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Sidelion wrote:Considering an excellent coach at a major college is retained far longer than any of his athletes will ever be, uh, what?

So slaves in the plantations of the South got scholarships? A free college education to play a sport - gee, if only I were so damn lucky.

This is about being paid to perform. Who do you work for??? Are you going there, spending eight plus hours, providing quality leadership in your field... for free?!? I think not! The student athletes bring in billions of dollars for the institutions. If you had a flock of sheep whom kept you and your family from starving and freezing, by eating their meat and using wool to make fabric for clothes, why not feed them too? If you don't, they won't be feeding your family for long!!!

1. All collegiate athletes are not on scholarship. Definitely, not all 80 plus students on a D-1 football team's roster's are getting free educations.

1a. Universities are only allowed to give out a limited number of (Free Education Scholarships) for performing athletes (per sport). Remember this isn't a race issue Sidelion, I'm talking every student athlete; male and female athletes who put the dedication in daily, who don't get compensation. You try going to work for someone for 4 years and at the end of the term, you get a certificate of degree and a Student Loan $576,000 bill that's going to take 35 years to pay off!

1b. If by chance a student gets a (Free Education Scholarship), its based on him performing at a certain standard, which your excellent coach will motivate the athlete to believe he or she has what it takes to perform on the next level under their tutelage! $32 Mil pysc coach travels across the country selling the belief that the students will get big paydays, but only "AFTER" the university profits majorly for 4 years off of the athletes while the athletes perform in a so-called amateur status! If the students do NOT perform, the will be striped of the (Free Education) opportunity at the institution and sent packing. The university stands to loose more!

2. All staff gets a pay check, why not pay the players who are breaking their necks, backs, get concussions, major injury can cost them a career of big paydays. Is this really an issue? It's like in a few years, the athletes will start to be compensated, and some old excellent coach whose been getting $32 Mil for 5 years for talking/motivating will come out (then) and say... "The NCAA should have always pay the athletes... I've always believed they should have gotten paid!!" Right...

Boris the Animal, last of the malevolent Boglodites said it best... "Agree to disagree..."

Pay them all!

Sidelion
MVP

Postby Sidelion » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:02 am

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Sidelion wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/players-could-big-money-under-plan-221329717--spt.html

Nice article. I am sure the law suits will pile up. As far as the current student athletes, there will be a standard salary range that will be established per sport. Each school will determine what the salaries above that range they will pay their students based on the schools profit margins. I think college coaches should not be paid as much as they are.

Sidelion
MVP

Postby Sidelion » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Littleware wrote:
Sidelion wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/players-could-big-money-under-plan-221329717--spt.html

Nice article. I am sure the law suits will pile up. As far as the current student athletes, there will be a standard salary range that will be established per sport. Each school will determine what the salaries above that range they will pay their students based on the schools profit margins. I think college coaches should not be paid as much as they are.

I agree with that too. I think the system is a good compromise, even if it slights mid-major conferences in the long term as it's a perfect reason to get better TV contracts. Some pay is better than none.

I still think the NCAA should in no way be allowed to restrict sponsor deals with individual players, unless they interfere with the fair recruiting process. That would ensure that great players in weak conferences would still at least make regional sponsor money.

petroleum
All-Pro

Postby petroleum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Sidelion wrote:I still think the NCAA should in no way be allowed to restrict sponsor deals with individual players, unless they interfere with the fair recruiting process. That would ensure that great players in weak conferences would still at least make regional sponsor money.

Seems like Jeremy Bloom (who played football briefly at CU and for the Eagles) lost two years of NCAA eligibility because he got endorsements for his Olympic skying.

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:22 am

What if there were no collegiate sports? Where would the institutions get their bread and butter $$$ from then? No games, no more fans, no sales, no income! Private funded donations won't add up to pay the bills. They really need to put the athletes on payroll.

As I was checking my NCAA coaching tendencies, I ran across this article:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/colleg ... gets-fall/!

Return to “College Football”