Most Popular Football in America - NFL or College?

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 am

There are 625 NCAA Football Programs and 85 NAIA Programs for a total of 710 football teams.

There are 32 NFL teams.

How do you judge?

Highest attendance?

TV ratings?

Do more people attend college football games in a year that NFL?

You be the judge...

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Most Popular Football in America - NFL or College?

Postby NickyJ » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am

The BCS Bowl, to my knowledge, has never come close to touching the Super Bowl's viewership so my answer is NFL.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm

NickyJ wrote:The BCS Bowl, to my knowledge, has never come close to touching the Super Bowl's viewership so my answer is NFL.

The Super Bowl is watched by almost half of the country, and is watched by many more worldwide. Also, in recent polls it was found that a large margin of the country says Pro Football is the country's best sport (college football was third or fourth, I think. I know baseball was second), and another poll found that 49% of responses say that they watch pro football regularly. I'm going to say Pro Football, not only the most popular football, but clearly the most popular sport overall in America.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 pm

That's a great question.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I have lived my whole life in Nebraska. This place is wall to wall college football fans. I have debated several people several times in my life of how Pro Football is just better football. From where I live and what I have experienced ... college football is more popular with fans than NFL football. Most of these "fans" are fair weather and uneducated.

But me personally, I have always loved Pro Football. College is too sloppy and usually uncompetitive. Most inter-conference play turns out to be disappointing. Pro Football is better quality in terms of athletes, strategy, and fundamentals.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 pm

KO'BBF wrote:That's a great question.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I have lived my whole life in Nebraska. This place is wall to wall college football fans. I have debated several people several times in my life of how Pro Football is just better football. From where I live and what I have experienced ... college football is more popular with fans than NFL football. Most of these "fans" are fair weather and uneducated.

But me personally, I have always loved Pro Football. College is too sloppy and usually uncompetitive. Most inter-conference play turns out to be disappointing. Pro Football is better quality in terms of athletes, strategy, and fundamentals.

Uncompetitive? Understatement. To me its too competitive. Look at the rivalries in college football. There's rivalries in NFL football, but the players are mature.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Austinmario wrote:Uncompetitive? Understatement. To me its too competitive. Look at the rivalries in college football. There's rivalries in NFL football, but the players are mature.

Yeah, what I mean by that is ... college games are often one sided affairs. It happens in the NFL, sure, but it seems like almost any time ABC pumps a game for Saturday night it is a blow out.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:07 am

KO'BBF wrote:Yeah, what I mean by that is ... college games are often one sided affairs. It happens in the NFL, sure, but it seems like almost any time ABC pumps a game for Saturday night it is a blow out.

That's why i stopped watching college football. It gets broing watching blowouts. That's why I look for close games because it could either way.

TheMajorSupreme
All-Pro

Postby TheMajorSupreme » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 am

I really don't like college. Too many blowout, too many games period. It's cool every once and a while and I found NCAA 14 and 13 to be very enjoyable. But usually, I find myself falling asleep during college games.
Patriots: SB XXXVI Champions, SB XXXVIII Champions, SB XXXIX Champions
Broncos Journal: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16804
Raiders Journal: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15490

lionsfan
MVP

Postby lionsfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:54 am

I find that the fans for NFL teams are much more casual fans while college fans are legit hard-core football fans. College is definitely more exciting then NFL, the atmosphere is amazing in college (because all of the fans are extremely into it) while NFL is just laid back. Even the play style in college is much more up tempo while in NFL it is really laid back. In college every single game matters, In college if you have 2 losses you will probably not be in the Championship Game, heck sometimes even 1 loss is too much. While the NFL you can be a sub-par team all year and finish with 8 losses yet still have a chance at the super bowl.

The NFL will sometimes get boring for me, I always watch the Lions games but sometimes I get bored watching any other games, but college is different for me, the atmosphere is so great I can find myself watching every game on any given college football Saturday. College football is filled with traditions and pageantry while the NFL has more of a laid back feel that is why I find college so much more fun to watch.

I have seen way more exciting finishes in college then I have seen in the NFL.

IMO there is no doubt that college football is better and more exciting to watch then the NFL.

But I do think the NFL is more popular just because it's set up for the casual football fan. I think to be a huge college football fan you have to be raised a huge college football fan.

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:06 am

Well said lionsfan ;)

Return to “College Football”