Bill Bradley and the Rockies Rebuild

bengalmike
All-Pro

Re: Bill Bradley and the Rockies Rebuild

Postby bengalmike » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Entry #5 June and July

So its June 1st, and we're 27-29. Not bad. With the trades that we made, our player payroll now stands at $56,027,500 million. We have approximately $45 mm in budget room to make moves.

MLB Draft
We have the eighth pick in this years draft. I'm quite pleased with where we pick, as we can draft a top ten talent. Alex Jackson was selected first overall by the Astros. With our first pick we drafted Carlos Rodon. Catcher Devon Fisher was our next pick. In the third round I took a risk and took starter Luis Ortiz. Ortiz has good potential, but his signability is impossible. We'll see what we can do there. I selected another catcher, this time it was Drew Lugbauer. Rounding out our top five was pitcher Touki Toussaint. All five of our top ten picks signed without a problem! They were all assigned to our rookie league except for Carlos Rodon. I put him in single A.

Corey Dickerson was finally eligible to come back off the DL on June 25, so I brought him back to the major league squad and sent down Mike Lockwood.

Through our wheeling and dealing as well as this past draft, our farm system is now ranked the fourth best. Our system is highlighted by the sixteenth best prospecy (Rodon), the 21st best prospect (Ortiz), the 45th best prospect (Eddie Butler), the 50th best prospect (Cecchini), and the 51st best prospect (Bostick).

July 2, International Signings
Our first international signing was Jorge Melendez, whom I signed for $45,000. Our scouting director says that he has the potential to be a 36/80 player. His best tool is his power. I also signed starting pitcher Juan Hernandez to a deal. His potential is 20/80, but he has control. We didn't spend much on him, but Ban is not a fan, saying, “Hernandez is dumb as a brick.” That's all we did this signing period. Not much that I liked. There were a few good prospects, but I didn't want to go over top of the $3 mm limit.

All Star Game

Corey Dickerson was our only representative on the NL team. Make us proud Corey!

Trade Deadline
The trade deadline passed without any other incident. I looked for a few deals but talks never got serious.

Record at the end of July
Our record at the end of July is 52-57. Respectable.

Major League News

* The Miami Marlins sent Dan Jennings and $501,000 to St. Louis for C.J. McElroy and Jose L. Gomez.
    * Chris Tillman was sent from Baltimore along with $546k to Atlanta in exchange for Jason Hursh and Franklin Azuaje.
    * The Blue Jays dealt Casey Jannsen and DJ Davis along with $3 mm in cash to the Padres for Jedd Gyorko.
    * Jonathan Papelbon registered save number 300.
    * Adrian Beltre collected hit number 2500.
    * The Mets sent Gavin Cecchini (brother of our own Garin Cecchini) to the Orioles in return for Brian Matusz.
    * Carlos Gomez of the Brewers was sent to the Minnesota Twins for Max kepler, Yorman Landa, and Matthew Summers.
    * Prince Fielder hit home run number 300.
    * Atlanta swapped David Carpenter to San Diego in return for Hunter Renfroe.
    * Atlanta acquired Delino Deshields Jr. in return for Gustavo Nunez, who is headed to Houston.
    * Ted Lerner, the owner of the Washington Nationals, passed away on Wednesday, July 9, 2014. His son Rob will take over as the owner.
    * The Braves shipped Mike Minor to the Giants in return for Mikey Edie and Keury Mella.
    * The Marlins sent prospect Andrew Heaney to the Astro's and received Alex White and $502k in cash.
    * The Marlins agreed to ship Rafael Furcal and Angel L. Sanchez to the Brewers for Hunter Morris.
    * The Twins sent Josh Willingham to the Cubs for Nate Schierholtz and Dan Vogelbach.
    * The White Sox and Tigers made a surprising trade, as the Sox sent Dayan Viciedo to the Tigers for Phil Coke and Issrael De La Cruz.
    * The Mariners sent Dustin Ackley and Isaiah Yates to the Angels for Hector Santiago.
    * The Pirates sent Mark Melancon and $2.595 million to the Dodgers for Spencer navin and Luis Subero.
    * Miguel Cabrera hit the 400th homerun of his career.
    * The Cardinals sent Matt Adams and $516k to the Rays in exchange for Steve Geltz and Manny Sanchez.
    * The Braves have shipped David Hale and $502k to Kansas City for Elier Hernandez and Ryan Dale.
    * The Braves sent Mauricio Cabrera and Kyle Wren to the Marlins for Mike Dunn.
    * Yovani Gallardo was shipped from the Brewers along with $3 mm to the Twins for Dalton Hicks and Kohl Stewart.
    * The Astros sent marc Krauss and $502.3k to the Marlins for Jesus Solorzano and Justin Bohn.

Top Performances of the Month

* Chris Davis won the AL Hitter of the month trophy for the month of June. Anthony Rizzo took home the prize in the NL.
* Felix Hernandez was the top pitcher in the month of June for the American League. Jonathan Papelbon was the top pitcher in the NL for the month of June.
* Jose Abreu and Wilmer Flores won the AL and NL Rookie of the Month trophy.

Future of the Journal:
I'm putting an end to the Major League Transactions, as that just got too lengthy. Instead I'll just post the big news instead of each trade that goes through.
Go Browns!

A New Era: My Browns Franchise http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16048

Sponsor

Sponsor

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Entry #6

Locking Up Rex
One of my main goals right now is signing Rex Brothers to a contract extension before he getes expensive. As off September 1st, he's compiled a record of 1-2 with a 2.42 ERA. He's saved 30 games and struck out 71. My initial offer to the 26 year closer was 6 years/ $23.28 mm. If he accepts I'll have locked up my closer for six years for cheap.

He signed several days later! Those negotiations went quite smooth!

Tanking??
I didn't do this purposely, in fact I wanted to stay around .500, but things just went awry. Right now, midway through September we're sitting at 61-85. Not good at all. If the season ended today we would have the fifth overall pick, I would be content with that.

End of the Regular Season
We did it. We made it. It was ugly. It didn't end well. But we made it. We finished last in our division with a record of 67-95. Almost 100 losses. That's pretty ugly. The good news is that we have the fourth pick in the upcoming amateur draft, so that is something to look forward to.

World Series
The Angels won the World Series four games to one over the St. Louis Cardinals. The Angels were led by batting title winner Mike Trout. Congratulations!

Major League News

* Mat Latos threw a no hitter against the Marlins.
* San Diego Padres owner John Moores passed away. His son John will take over. Our thoughts andd prayers are with the organization.
* Albert Pujols collected his 2500 th hit.
* Mark Buehrle won his 200 th game as a major league player.
* Mike Trout and Yadier Molina won the batting titles in their respective leagues.
Go Browns!

A New Era: My Browns Franchise http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16048

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Entry #7 Off-season Begins

Posted Players
The Nippon Professional Baseball League announced that the Chiba Lotte Marines posted left fielder Katsuya Kakunaka for a fee of $16 mm. Kakunaka is 27 years old with good doubles power and speed. We will not be going after him.

Option Years

Brett Anderson and Latroy Hawkins all have team options for next year. Both were pretty average for us last year, and neither are worth their salary for next year, so they will both become free agents very soon.

Players Headed into Free Agency
Matt Belisle (66 overall)
Jorge De La Rosa (36 ovr)
Joel Hanrahan (44 ovr)
Latroy Hawkins (23 ovr)
Franklin Morales (23 ovr)

The only one I offered an extension to was Joel Hanrahan.

Other Extensions
I offered Wilin Rosario, our slugging catcher, a five year extension worth around $27 mm. The proposed deal is heavily front-loaded, allowing us to have flexibility in the future. Wilin agreed and just like that our catcher position was filled up for the foreseeable future.

Adam Ottavino, the 28 year old reliever, agreed to a two year pact worth $900k annually. Stat-wise, Ottavino was one of our better relievers last year, pitching 59 innings and posting a 2.44 ERA. I am glad to have him on board for the next couple years.

We also signed DJ Lemahieu to an extension. The second baseman hit .275 for us this year, which was second highest on the team. He will earn $1 mm this year and the following he will receive $580k.

I got Joel Hanrahan to sign my extension of one year with an option for a second year. The deal will grant him $1,000,000 with the potential to earn $1.5 mm total.

Trades
Rockies sent:
Jhoulys Chacin
Wilton Lopez

Phillies sent:
Maikel Franco
Roman Quinn

Chacin was only 26, but he was not good at all in our ballpark, and we got a good prospect that plays into the strengths of our park. Lopez was a throw-in to the deal. I didn't plan on offering him anything in arbitration and was going to let him walk. Quinn offers us top notch speed that is among the best in baseball. He's rated highly by our scout. Franco is a true cleanup hitter who should be a regular in the lineup very soon. He has lots of potential.

Rockies send:
Jordan Lyles
Christhian Adames

Yankees send:
Dellin Betances

Jordan Lyles and Adames had no place on this team, and I was able to swap them for Betances, a young reliever who has great stuff and movement. He will be on the major league team in the bullpen this year.

Gold Glove Awards
Justin Morneau won the gold glove award for NL first basemen. Congrats Justin!

League Rule Changes
Major League Baseball and the Serie Nacional de Baseball agreed to come together to form the Cuban American Baseball Association. The two leagues will share their drafts and will have a playoff at the end of the season. The playoffs will feature the top two finalists of each league. Major League Baseball issued a statement saying this is just the beginning and that the Association would continue to grow.

Another shocking rule change was the ability for Major League teams to now post their players. There was no maximum amount set, but again, the commissioners office said it could be subject to change in the future.

The third and final rule change this year was the ability to trade between all leagues, not just in Major League Baseball. This opens up a flurry of different possibilities and will make the world of baseball much more exciting.

Arbitration Results
We only had one player go into arbitration. Tyler Chatwood would not agree to an extension as his demands were too high, so we took him to arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in favor of the team. He will earn $4.6 mm next year.

Free Agency

Our first free agent signing was starter Allen Webster. The former top prospect wasn't retained by Boston, and I quickly snapped up the 24 year old. He's got good potential and good individual ratings and will likely start for the major league team.

Shortly after we signed Webster, Alex Colome signed a trade with us. Colome was with the Rays last year and was granted minor league free agency. He will be in play for a rotation spot next year. He will earn $1.2 mm for two years and after that he has two straight years with team options worth $650k and $550k.

End of Winter Meetings
So that's where we are right now. I made a few trade offers during the meetings but I'm not sure if they went through. We'll see. I like how the off-season is going so far. We're continuing to get younger and our team is shaping up.
Go Browns!

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

NO NOT Dellin Betances ONLY US!
So the Giants traded Beckham....

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Don't go Dellin! NOOOOOOOOO! Born in Brooklyn, he should have been in New York for life. He's gonna be one heck of a closer.

By the way, what's with LaTroy Hawkins' rating? Rather low. I mean, he deserves it for trying to take the Warrior's uniform number, but still, 23 overall?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 pm

mee wrote:NO NOT Dellin Betances ONLY US!

Oops :P

RevanFan wrote:Don't go Dellin! NOOOOOOOOO! Born in Brooklyn, he should have been in New York for life. He's gonna be one heck of a closer.

By the way, what's with LaTroy Hawkins' rating? Rather low. I mean, he deserves it for trying to take the Warrior's uniform number, but still, 23 overall?

OOTP overall rankings are typically not the best to go by, especially as a deciding factor. I just throw it in there because is it gives a general overview, but the more important numbers are the individual attribute rankings. For example Dellin's ovr is a 25/80 on the 20 80 scale but I decided to go after him because look at those pitch ratings. Nasty stuff, especially for a 26 year old.

The reason Latroy is rated so low I think is because of his age. He isn't anywhere as good as he once was and his pitch ratings definitely show it. I hope Dellin turns out better than Latroy :D

Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Entry #8

Johnny Cueto
I did something crazy. I went out and bought myself a Christmas present. On December 23, Johnny Cueto announced that he had signed a one year deal worth $8.35 mm with a vesting option worth $6.25 mm. Cueto will most likely be the ace this season as we go from cellar dwellers to young up and comers. He adds excitement to the team short-term with no real impact against the long-term future, especially financially.

Cueto is 28 and is has above average stuff in pretty much every category. No doubt he is an improvement.

Rule 5 Draft

In the Rule 5 draft we selected Chris Archer of the Tampa Bay Rays. Archer is only rated with a 20 potential, but he is still recovering from Tommy John surgery. He is 26, and his individual pitch ratings are not bad at all. He could come into play once he comes off the DL at the back of the rotation.

More Rule Changes
Three more rule changes were added by the commissioner this year (not me). The DFA time was shortened to nine days, minor league options are now no longer valid (this means that players can be demoted without clearing waivers,) and veterans can no longer refuse a demotion to a minor league team.

Nolan Arenado Extension

I made a goof. I offered Nolan Arenado a contract extension, even though he was still on his rookie deal. He will earn $24.72 mm over four years, so the good news is that he will only be arbitration eligible for one year. I'm not all that mad though because I have tons of cap space and Arenado has turned into the best player on the team. Why not pay the man?

End of the Off-season
This pretty much concludes the off-season, and the team just went down to Spring Training. It should be interesting to see how our prospects do, and a couple position battles will be taking place.
Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:05 am

Entry #9 Spring Training

Spring Training Games
It is time for Spring Training and finding out how ready some of our prospects are for the majors. Through the first 12 games we were 5-7, and I had some observations.

What I saw
Our pitchers all have great stuff. We have got multiple pitchers with great stuff that just rack up the strikeouts. Unfortunately they give up way too many hits and way too many walks. Looking at the WHIPs of some of our pitchers is just ugly. Jonathan Gray has 3.00 WHIP so far and Chris Archer has a WHIP of 2.04. That is not acceptable and will need to be changed if they want to be on the team.

Nolan Arenado is still doing things no other player on the team can do. He's got a .394 average so far and it looks like he's in line to have another superb season. Maikel Franco has not shown anything so far, so he will likely start the season in the minors. We won't rush anyone.

Final Spring Training Results and Roster Cuts
Spring Training ended with a 12-14 record, but putting stock into that would be silly. We had some people exceed expectations and other underwhelm. One of the guys that stood out to me was Allen Webster. Webster threw 19 innings and compiled a 2.37 ERA with 14 strikeouts and 11 walks. Tyler Chatwood was just as good. Johnny Cueto , our star free agent acquisition was just awful this spring. He had an ERA north of 10 and had no control.

The rotation will be:
  • Tyler Chatwood
  • Johnny Cueto
  • Chad Bettis
  • Allen Webster
  • Alex Colome

Rex Brothers will serve as the closer this year, with Boone Logan and Ernesto Frieri filling in the setup role. Adam Ottavino, Joel Hanrahan, and Dellin Betances will be middle relievers this year, and Chris Archer will be kept on the active roster as a long reliever/emergency starter. Tyler Matzek, Jonathan Gray, Greg Burke, and Tommy Kahnle will be sent down.

On the offensive side, we will be rolling with the following starting 9:

• Pitcher
  • Wilin Rosario
  • Joey Gallo
  • Mookie Betts
  • Nolan Arenado
  • Chris Bostick
  • Ryan Wheeler
  • Corey Dickerson
  • Garin Cecchini

We will send down Kyle Parker, Luis Sardinas, Maikel Franco, Drew Garcia, and Rafael Ynoa.
Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Entry #10 Player Evaluations and April 2015

State of the Roster
I'm going to go through the roster before the season and give a brief write-up on him. Each write-up will have the player's name as well as their current rating out of 80 and their potential rating out of 80.

SP Alex Colome 20-20
Colome was a free agent acquisition after being let go by the Rays. Colome may not work out for us, but he has decent potential, at least in my opinion. His pitching ratings are not bad at all, and he has been relatively good in his career. It will be interesting to see where the season goes with him.

SP Chris Archer 20-20

Archer was acquired through the rule 5 draft this past year from the Rays. He was a great prospect as late as last year but he underwent Tommy John surgery and is trying to work back up to where he was. I have faith in him. He only has three pitches, but they are all above average, especially his slider. If he doesn't make it as a starter I would feel comfortable with him in the bullpen.

2B Pedro Okuda 21-21

Okuda was signed to a minor league contract last year and is still here. He is a backup and nothing more. His bat is very poor, but he does offer good speed. Honestly he probably won't be on the team in a month.

2B DJ Lemahieu 21-21
I signed DJ to a contract extension this past off-season knowing he would be a backup. He's a great backup and he was very good as a starter last year. I still like DJ.

MR Ernesto Frieri 21-21
Ernesto was signed to a major league deal this off-season. Frieri hasamazing stuff; all of his pitches are above average to great. He's going to be a part of the back end of the bullpen unless his production isn't there.

RF Charlie Blackmon 21-21

Blackmon, 28, was a starter last year, but won't have the same opportunity this year. He's a decent player and an above average fielder in the outfield with some good speed, but unfortunately with the influx of younger players to the major league team, there isn't a spot for him. He will be a decent piece off the bench but might be good trade bait.

MR Adam Ottavino 22-22
Ottavino was one of my better relievers last year. He's back again this year in the setup role, and I intend to keep him there. His slider and change-up are stellar, which leads to a number of strikeouts. The only negative with Ottavino is his underwhelming control. Nevertheless, I am still a fan of Ottavino and what he does.

MR Dellin Betances 22-22
Betances was acquired via trade this off-season. Betances has nasty stuff but like Ottavino he needs to refine his control. I'll be keeping Betances for as long as I can unless his performance plummets.

1B Justin Morneau 23-23

Justin went from starter to the veteran bench player. Justin still has some left in him, but he won't play much with all of the young talent we have at the major league level. Still an okay player.

SP Johnny Cueto 34-36
Well, this was an unprecedented drop in ratings. His individual pitch ratings didn't suffer any, but his overall ratings did. He hasn't performed well since joining the team, and I may try and unload him at the deadline. Colorado just might not be the place for him. Disappointing, but he wasn't part of the plans for the future anyways.

CF Che-Hsuan Lin 32-39
Lin was a free agent acquisition this past year from Taiwan. I was impressed with his speed and impeccable outfield defense. Unfortunately he struggled so much in spring training that I couldn't give him a spot in the starting line-up. He is still a great defensive replacement or pinch runner. Plus he's signed cheap for the next three years after this one.

MR Joel Hanrahan 41-41
Hanrahan has proved to be a great addition to the team. His stuff is great and can be counted to strikeout his share of batters. I'm a fan of Hanrahan but I'm not sure how long he'll be here long-term as he is 33.

C Wilin Rosario 44-46
Rosario is one of my favorite players. His power plays very well in Colorado. He makes contact often and when he gets ahold of one, you can bet it will be going very far. He's no slouch on defense either.

SP Tyler Chatwood 36-48

Chatwood is 25 years old and is already at the top of our rotation. He's become a very good pitcher and has figured out how to deal with a tricky ballpark. He gets people out, which is the most important thing. None of his pitches are extremely sexy, but he gets it done.

SP Allen Webster 33-50
Webster was my favorite signing of the past off-season. Webster is only 25 and has great pretty good stuff. He pitched a great spring training and earned himself a spot in the rotation. He won't be a star, but he'll be a very solid player for a long time.

MR Chad Bettis 44-51
Bettis is another young reliever. His stuff is all above average. Bettis could both start and relieve.

LF Ryan Wheeler 60-65
Wheeler was a first baseman until the spring, where I moved him to left field. His bat is certainly major league ready. Good contact and power should play well in the park. I like Wheeler a lot.

3B Nolan Arenado 55-65
Arenado is one of our best players, and was the best player on the team statistically last year. Good contact, power, and he doesn't strike out a ton. I would like to keep Arenado in a Rockies uniform for awhile.

SS Chris Bostick 33-67
I might be rushing Bostick a little to quicklly, but I didn't see any other attractive options. Defensively Bostick is great, and he's just as good on the basepaths. His bat is a work in progress, but it should come along.

RF Garin Cecchini 40-71
I am very intrigued with Cecchini. He was a third baseman until, like Ryan Wheeler, I moved him to RF this spring. The best part of Cecchini's game is his bat. IT's above average with good contact and a fantastic eye.

MR Boone Logan 74-74

Logan is a setup guy for us. He's got great stuff. He's got a top of the line fastball and slider. He's 30, but I would be open to keep him for a little longer.

2B Mookie Betts 24-74
Mookie is one of the more intriguing prospects I have. He is very well rounded with good defense, contact, power, and speed. He could become one of my best players come a few years.

CL Rex Brothers

Brothers is a great pitcher. He performed very well last year and is line to continue his stellar season. Currently 27, he is signed through the 2020 season at a bargain price. His two pitches, fastball and slider, grade out at 75/80 and 80/80 respectively. Fantastic!

LF Corey Dickerson 73-73
Dickerson was supposed to be our left fielder this year, as that is the position where he is best at, but we couldn't put new-comers Cecchini or Wheeler in center, so Dickerson was our only other option. Dickerson has good contact and power and is just an all-around good ballplayer.

1B Joey Gallo 21-77
Gallo was acquired via trade last year from the Rangers and he came to us as one of the top power hitters in the minors. He has got potential to be a 40 home run player. He is that talented. The only thing that will hold him back I his contact, which needs a little work.

Big Prospect Find
The biggest news of the first week of the season had nothing to do with the team on the field, but instead with a prospect our scouting director found us. Tai Ban was searching for talent in Mexico when he came across Jorge Gonzalez. Gonzalez has the potential to be an 80/80 on the scale, and Ban says he possesses true impact potential. He has great contact potential and power potential to match it.

Chad Bettis injured

Our #3 pitcher Chad Bettis went down with a sprained elbow that will keep him out 11 days. We put Chris Archer in his spot and called up Greg Burke to add bullpen depth. Bettis had been doing pretty well. In two starts he struck out eight and posted a 2.84 ERA.

Wilin Rosario wins batter of the month

Wilin Rosario had a stellar April, he posted a .400 average while hitting five home runs, 12 RBI's, and scoring 11 runs. Congrats Wilin!

April Stats
Rosario lead in almost all offensive categories, and Mookie Betts and Ryan Wheeler were right behind him in most. Joey Gallo had a very disappointing month, hitting .193 with three homers and 10 RBIs. He whiffed 21 times.

Tyler Chatwood
leads the team in ERA at 3.73, but ironically he also has the highest loss total. Rex Brothers has three saves. Chatwood also leads the team in strikeouts with 19.
Go Browns!

Return to “Other Sports Journals”