Ryan Tannehill Named Starter for Dolphins

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Isn't Ryan too young to be starter? I thought it was smart of the Dolphins to bench him so he could experience what happens before he becomes starter.
But I can't really say that it's a smart idea. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are starters and they're rookies.
But then again, Matt Flynn backed up for Aaron Rodgers for 3 years and look at him now: A starter for the Seattle Seahawks. This is a subject I always have BIG problems with. I can argue wth myself all day trying to find the right answer!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Ryan Tannehill Named Starter for Dolphins

Postby Danchat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Austinmario wrote:Isn't Ryan too young to be starter? I thought it was smart of the Dolphins to bench him so he could experience what happens before he becomes starter.
But I can't really say that it's a smart idea. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are starters and they're rookies.
But then again, Matt Flynn backed up for Aaron Rodgers for 3 years and look at him now: A starter for the Seattle Seahawks. This is a subject I always have BIG problems with. I can argue wth myself all day trying to find the right answer!

Ryan Tannehill is going to be bust a bust because of starting early. I'm calling it.
Luck and RG3 tore it up in college. They are ready. Tannehill has not. He played a season and a half, and was average.
Tannehill needs time. Flynn needed time. Luck, RG3, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, and others were ready out of college. Some are not.
Matt Moore is better anyways. Why not get your money out of Moore and let Tannehill grow?!
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Agreed. Tannehill is the type of rookie that should be groomed. And who better to do that than Matt Moore and David Garrard?

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Moore is not that much better than Tannehill. The expectations are not going to be sky high for Tannehill, but as long as he improves over the course of the year, gets a completion rate around 60% and has a positive TD-INT ratio, I'll be satisfied.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Ok say What about this guy makes him a starting QB let alone a first rounder?

having only started one season in college at QB, he has accuracy issues, and i think his mechanics need work.

Let me give you the answer. He has an ideal height, and look for a QB. When you think of a classic QB he kind of fits the look.

There are plenty of QB's who I think are better than him and are backups. Tell me how this guy was a first round pick, and guys like Tyrod Taylor, Russell Wilson were drafted so low. Both passed better than Tannehill did in college, both throw a more accurate football.

But Tannehill looks the part. Talent wise plenty of QB's with more talent have been drafted lower in the recent years. At least imo anyway.

That all said the kid has talent and can sling it. But he needs to be developed. Throwing him in this early has disaster written all over it.

The dolphins want this kid to work out, they need to make sure they don't throw him to the wolves too early. Trading Brandon Marshal hurts Tannehill to, because now he doesn't have a number one receiver to lean on. Chad Johnson isn't even there now. This is going to be a terrible for Miami.
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

NFLVICK7 wrote:Ok say What about this guy makes him a starting QB let alone a first rounder?

having only started one season in college at QB, he has accuracy issues, and i think his mechanics need work.

Let me give you the answer. He has an ideal height, and look for a QB. When you think of a classic QB he kind of fits the look.

There are plenty of QB's who I think are better than him and are backups. Tell me how this guy was a first round pick, and guys like Tyrod Taylor, Russell Wilson were drafted so low. Both passed better than Tannehill did in college, both throw a more accurate football.

But Tannehill looks the part. Talent wise plenty of QB's with more talent have been drafted lower in the recent years. At least imo anyway.

That all said the kid has talent and can sling it. But he needs to be developed. Throwing him in this early has disaster written all over it.

The dolphins want this kid to work out, they need to make sure they don't throw him to the wolves too early. Trading Brandon Marshal hurts Tannehill to, because now he doesn't have a number one receiver to lean on. Chad Johnson isn't even there now. This is going to be a terrible for Miami.

Here's a prediction: Russell Wilson will have a better career than Tannehill.
The Dolphins only have Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, and Ledgeu Naanee as mediocre WRs. Oh, and throw in Anthony Fasano. Have fun with that, Tannehill!!

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised how long it took for Wilson to get taken.
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here, and say that the Kirk Cousins' career will be better than Tannehill's when all is said and done. If I'm wrong, you can bring up this post in ten years and rub it in. :)

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 pm

NickyJ wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised how long it took for Wilson to get taken.
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here, and say that the Kirk Cousins' career will be better than Tannehill's when all is said and done. If I'm wrong, you can bring up this post in ten years and rub it in. :)

Krik Cousins will be a starter in 3 years. Redskins will trade him, not unlike the Kolb trade. But I bet Cousins will be good too. (Heck....I predicted Cousins to be drafted before Tannehill!)

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 am

Scanning this thread, it seems to me like there are two different opinions: either Tannehill will be somebody or he is, without taking a snap in the NFL, a bust and will always be a bust. Let’s examine some scenarios:

1) If Tannehill has success playing with mediocre receivers, then he will be a somebody.
This is very good.

2) If Tannehill is mediocre with mediocre receivers, you could arrive at the conclusion that he’s a bust or that he could still be somebody if he is surrounded by better talent.
In scenario 2, Tannehill might or might not have justified being picked at #8 but, depending on what mediocre entails, there could be building blocks there and all the Dolphins need to do is to sign/draft/trade for other pieces. If surrounding him with better talent leads to more wins, more playoff appearances and maybe a Super Bowl appearance then the front office can always point to that as a testament to Tannehill’s play at QB (assuming he’s the starter). If it doesn’t work out, the front office can say that they tried and it didn’t work but at least they drafted a QB in the first round (their first since Marino) and tried their best. After all the crap QB’s that’s gone through Miami since Marino retired, the fan base will be understanding.

3) If Tannehill fails to achieve any success whatsoever with mediocre receivers you could arrive at the conclusion that he’s a bust, or you could wait until he’s surrounded by better talent.
This is very murky water and it depends how long you want to wait before reaching a conclusion. At that point, you could argue that Tannehill’s failures were all on him (dumb decision making, errant passes, taking too many hits). You could argue that maybe the front office didn’t surround him with the best talent or the best co-ordinators. It might even be injuries, who knows? Or you could wait until either the Dolphins or some other team surrounds him with better talent to make a conclusion. This one could go either way.

To expand on this even further, the term “mediocre receivers” is used loosely here. I can argue that his receivers at Texas A&M were mediocre because only one of them so far has landed with an NFL team. That receiver went undrafted and signed with….the Dolphins. Tannehill also went 65 for 68 at his Pro Day and two of the incompletions were due to drops.

Ultimately, a big part of this comes to Tannehill’s own personal confidence. Some of you say that starting him right out of the gate might “destroy him.” I disagree. I think what would really destroy his confidence is sitting on the bench and watching Gerrard or Moore play. The only thing that achieves is make him jealous, which might not be a bad thing but really, it’s Gerrard and Moore, two guys are aren’t much better than Tannehill. If Tannehill is going to be destroyed because he can’t at least establish building blocks by playing, then that’s not the guy you want playing for you when the team is ready to make a run for the Super Bowl.
- - - - - - - - - -
Also of note is that while Tannehill is the 8th pick overall, he’s still the third QB picked in the draft which means two other guys are ahead of him. Other than Todd McShay, there’s no one else I can find that thinks he will be an elite QB like Griffin or Luck or eventually like Brady or Brees. But, I took a quick look at some of the third QB’s picked in the last 10 years or so and have ended up having some success: Roethlisberger, Cutler, Campbell. None of them are among that first tier of QB’s but they get the job done more times than not.

Oh and one more similarity: all three were first round picks.

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 am

I just find it funny he got drafted so high. Yet Better QB's have been bashed by McShay and drafted really late.

But hey he could do well. He has talent. But so have a lot of QB's that have flopped. If u ask me I still don't see how Jake Locker is the starting QB. His accuracy and decision making have been bad too. College and NFL. I still don't see how he was drafted over Tyrod Taylor. And he would have been drafted over Russell Wilson if they came out the same year.

I think Tannehill and Locker will bust.

If I was Miami I would have started Moore. If Tannehill is going to be good, I think he needs time to develop.
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

Return to “Miami Dolphins”