Tebow Released, Signed by Patriots

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Tebow Released

Postby NickyJ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 pm

As someone on another forum said, the Patriots are about as open to the media as a Cold War nuclear silo, so that won't be a problem.

The beauty of this is that there is basically no downside. If it works, then they just pulled another stud out of the bargain bin; if it doesn't, they can cut him at the end of preseason and wash their hands (with holy water) of the matter.

Sponsor

Sponsor

patsallday
MVP

Postby patsallday » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah and with Ryan Mallet on his last year of his rookie contract; something long term could be brewing if Tebow succeeds.
Patriots win SB 49 Hopefully....

Loxley
All-Pro

Re: Tebow signed by Patriots

Postby Loxley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Danchat wrote:Good for Tebow! And good for Belichick! The biggest distractions can arrive in New England and can be managed well by the Pats.
Tebow is the #3 QB... Loxley, I don't understand why you are so angry about this. Nobody else was close to as good on the FA market. Caleb Hanie was signed by the Ravens and was HORRIBLE with the Bears. He couldn't win a game on accident. Matt Leinart got cut before he could even start his first big season after Kurt Warner. He's a non-scrambling Tebow. Charlie Batch is 37 and brittle.
The thing is, Tebow was FREE. As in, you can cut him without any repercussions if he sucks. And he probably won't get to play.
ESPN wrote a horrible article on it. I recommend you don't read it. I'm no crazy Tebowmania guy, but it's downright odd about how people perceive him.

Sorry, maybe I wrote with too much "emotion" still there in my last post, to clarify, I'm not angry about Tebow being a Pat, in fact, I agree with you that this is great for Tebow, can't say the same just yet for the Pats because there's not much information right know.
Confused is probably the correct word for it, I simply don't get why him, Belichick is great picking talent where no one founds it and he's proven that, but he isn't a polished machine at that, just remember the last trades, Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, and I think we'd seen too much of Tebow as QB to know what to expect, he was never a good QB, he didn't had the mechanics, nor the decision-making, however he did great in creating plays and making his way to win big games, he was great to see
I don't get what his role in New England could be, the QB position is clearly set, the only thing I could see now is the media problem but that's maybe because it's only the beginning of this, we'll know where this is going and if it has any future, but I don't hate Tebow, he's a great guy and he fights hard, you simply can't hate on someone like that, I wish Tim luck, and I wish my team luck too, not that this is the apocalypse or anything but I think we've all seen decisions we don't quite understand by our teams, time will tell, at least it's great Tim is now on a real team, I heard the Jets are bringing the cannonballs and bearded women to their show this time

patsallday
MVP

Postby patsallday » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am

Loxley wrote:
Danchat wrote:Good for Tebow! And good for Belichick! The biggest distractions can arrive in New England and can be managed well by the Pats.
Tebow is the #3 QB... Loxley, I don't understand why you are so angry about this. Nobody else was close to as good on the FA market. Caleb Hanie was signed by the Ravens and was HORRIBLE with the Bears. He couldn't win a game on accident. Matt Leinart got cut before he could even start his first big season after Kurt Warner. He's a non-scrambling Tebow. Charlie Batch is 37 and brittle.
The thing is, Tebow was FREE. As in, you can cut him without any repercussions if he sucks. And he probably won't get to play.
ESPN wrote a horrible article on it. I recommend you don't read it. I'm no crazy Tebowmania guy, but it's downright odd about how people perceive him.

Sorry, maybe I wrote with too much "emotion" still there in my last post, to clarify, I'm not angry about Tebow being a Pat, in fact, I agree with you that this is great for Tebow, can't say the same just yet for the Pats because there's not much information right know.
Confused is probably the correct word for it, I simply don't get why him, Belichick is great picking talent where no one founds it and he's proven that, but he isn't a polished machine at that, just remember the last trades, Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, and I think we'd seen too much of Tebow as QB to know what to expect, he was never a good QB, he didn't had the mechanics, nor the decision-making, however he did great in creating plays and making his way to win big games, he was great to see
I don't get what his role in New England could be, the QB position is clearly set, the only thing I could see now is the media problem but that's maybe because it's only the beginning of this, we'll know where this is going and if it has any future, but I don't hate Tebow, he's a great guy and he fights hard, you simply can't hate on someone like that, I wish Tim luck, and I wish my team luck too, not that this is the apocalypse or anything but I think we've all seen decisions we don't quite understand by our teams, time will tell, at least it's great Tim is now on a real team, I heard the Jets are bringing the cannonballs and bearded women to their show this time

A lot of his trainers said that he fixed his mechanics and that his throwing release is much improved. I read it right here http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... tutors-say. The problem with OchoCinco is that he has problems off field and that he doesn't have the Tebow work ethic.
Patriots win SB 49 Hopefully....

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Tebow Released, Signed by Patriots

Postby Danchat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 am

just remember the last trades,

They weren't trades. Haynesworth and Ochocinco were free agents, and basically got no-risk contracts. It was no big deal they failed.
I don't get what his role in New England could be, the QB position is clearly set

The Patriots have cut 3rd string QB Mike Kafka at the same time they signed Tebow. He's going to be the 3rd string QB. I don't think he'll even get any field time unless something horrible happens.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am

Danchat wrote:
just remember the last trades,

They weren't trades. Haynesworth and Ochocinco were free agents, and basically got no-risk contracts. It was no big deal they failed.

Actually, Haynesworth was a trade. We got a fifth round pick for the '13 draft, which ended up being Brandon Jenkins.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

Actually, Haynesworth was a trade. We got a fifth round pick for the '13 draft, which ended up being Brandon Jenkins.

Ah, I missed that one. Has Jenkins ever played?

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Taking into account that it was the 2013 draft, no. :P

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm

NickyJ wrote:Taking into account that it was the 2013 draft, no. :P

Oh. My bad. Clearly wasn't worth much if you get a 5th rounder in 2 years in the future...

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm

patsallday wrote:A lot of his trainers said that he fixed his mechanics and that his throwing release is much improved. I read it right here http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... tutors-say. The problem with OchoCinco is that he has problems off field and that he doesn't have the Tebow work ethic.

Those reports of "tutors say they've fixed Tebow mechanics" have been there for quite some time, again, and to clarify I'm not bashing on Tebow, he has been playing QB many years, he had coaches his entire career but his technical flaws are still there, the coaching staff he had in Denver was one of the best in the league and that didn't stopped Tebow from having to make his way in games through his feet. Maybe it finally happen, maybe this time it's true, but history is there.
The problem with Ocho wasn't his off the field issues, he couldn't learn the playbook in New England, that's what made the move a fail.

I understand your positions in the fact that there's no risk involving the acquisition of Tebow, but I, as a fan of the Patriots can't find the bright spot in all of this, there are too many doubts still there, first of all, if indeed Tim takes the place of the 3rd string QB that doesn't make NE QB situation to look too bright, I think the best structure for QB position in the roster is first, the starter, then a veteran backup who knows the playbook and can do a "decent" work, and finally a young or rookie QB to learn.
So, now the structure in NE is like this: the pretty solid starter, a young backup with basically no playing experience in the pros and another young but embattled QB with serious doubts in his technique, i think you may know why I didn't felt great about the move in first place.
We don't know how or if Tebow will be used at all, clearly Belichick has a plan, my bet is that he sits to learn from Brady to eventually take his spot when he retires, it's great there was no risk in this move, if that doesn't work NE can draft a QB in the future.
It's great that Tebow is on an NFL roster, the guy deserved it for his work ethic, it also helps that there should be no fans chanting for him to start in NE since the team will have 10+ wins this coming season. I just simply can't ignore the fact that there were other options at 3rd string QB in the open market that were less controversial.
All in all, I'm looking forward to learn how Tebow develops in New England, if he ends up being great, hell, I'll be the first to get his jersey and chant his name

Return to “New York Jets”