Jonathan Fanene Cut

PML17
Hall of Fame

Jonathan Fanene Cut

Postby PML17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

TAMPA, Fla. -- In releasing veteran defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene on Tuesday, the New England Patriots did so with a "failure to disclose physical condition" designation, according to a source.

The designation could be an indication that the team plans to seek parts, if not all, of the signing bonus Fanene received when he signed with the team March 20. Fanene's total signing bonus was $3.85 million, but according to a source, $1.35 million of that was deferred to March 31, 2013.
Fanene, 30, was one of the team's big free-agent signings* this offseason. He had missed the team's final 13 practices of training camp with a knee injury, and was potentially set for arthroscopic surgery later this week, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

The Boston Globe, citing a league source, reported Wednesday that Fanene was dealing with an inflammatory ailment, possibly arthritis.

Fanene passed a physical with the Patriots before signing with them, and he took part in the first five practices of training camp.

The "failure to disclose physical condition" designation was instituted this year by the NFL. Fanene and undrafted free-agent linebacker Larry Lumpkin (formerly of the Indianapolis Colts) are the only two players to be released under the designation, according to a source.

Both Fanene and Lumpkin were released Tuesday.

"It just didn't work out," coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday before a joint practice with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, repeating remarks on Fanene from Tuesday. "Nothing to add other than that, it just didn't work out."
----------------------------------
My Take
*Fanene was NOT one of the 'biggest' signings this of season. IMO, Jabar Gaffney signing to come back was. I still think he souldn't left in the 1st place. (Same with Deion Branch)
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

Jonathan Fanene Cut

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Jonathan Fanene Cut

Postby Danchat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:22 pm

I don't get why you sign a DE who has had 6.5 sacks and not even more than 2 years of starting experience and give him $4M guaranteed.
However, the Pats might be able to get their money back. Really.....he had arthritis?!
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Danchat wrote:I don't get why you sign a DE who has had 6.5 sacks and not even more than 2 years of starting experience and give him $4M guaranteed.
However, the Pats might be able to get their money back. Really.....he had arthritis?!

Yeah, I didn't get the signing in the first place. Should of gone will Mario Williams. Yes, the Pats where in the mix for a bit, Bills offer more money.
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm

PMan17 wrote:
Danchat wrote:I don't get why you sign a DE who has had 6.5 sacks and not even more than 2 years of starting experience and give him $4M guaranteed.

Yeah, I didn't get the signing in the first place. Should of gone will Mario Williams. Yes, the Pats where in the mix for a bit, Bills offer more money.

Actually I think they should have gone for Mark Anderson. They found a way to maximize his talent, and then let him go. Now the Bills have a super-pash-pressure DL.
Did the Pats ever re-sign Andre Carter?
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Danchat wrote:
PMan17 wrote:

Actually I think they should have gone for Mark Anderson. They found a way to maximize his talent, and then let him go. Now the Bills have a super-pash-pressure DL.
Did the Pats ever re-sign Andre Carter?

No, he retied. But yeah, Anderson went to the Bills for more money, due to the Pats didn't want to give him a big contract because they didn't know what he will do this season.

Return to “New England Patriots”