Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 am

MILFORD, Mass. (AP) -- Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for a murder conviction and just days ago was acquitted of a double murder, died after hanging himself in his prison cell early Wednesday, Massachusetts prisons officials said.
Hernandez, 27, was found by guards in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley just after 3 a.m., Department of Correction spokesman Christopher Fallon said in a statement.
The former New England Patriots tight end was pronounced dead at UMass Memorial-HealthAlliance Hospital in Leominster about an hour later.
Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit in the maximum security state prison. He hanged himself using a bed sheet that he attached to a cell window, Fallon said.
Hernandez tried to block the cell door from the inside by jamming the door with various items, Fallon said.
Fallon said he's not aware of any suicide note written by Hernandez and stressed that an investigation is ongoing. He said that officials had no concern that Hernandez was planning on taking his own life, and if there was a concern about his well-being, Hernandez would have been transferred to a mental health unit.
Hernandez was moved to tears on Friday after he was acquitted of the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado in Boston. Just before his acquittal, Hernandez was seen blowing kisses to the little girl he fathered with fianc?e Shayanna Jenkins. Cameras captured the tender exchange.
But, Hernandez was still serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for his conviction in the 2013 shooting of Odin Lloyd, who was dating his fiancee's sister.
Hernandez's lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Hernandez's death comes the same day the Patriots are making their visit to the White House today to mark their Super Bowl win. Team spokesman Stacey James said the Patriots were aware of the reports of Hernandez's death but didn't anticipate the club commenting Wednesday.
Massachusetts State Police remain on the scene investigating the death.
------
Associated Press writers Patrick Mairs in Philadelphia and Mark Pratt in Boston contributed to this report.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide

Postby AaronS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am

Sobering.

Saw the story on PFT first thing this morning. Reading some of the comments from their members made me want to vomit.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 am

In the state of Massachusetts, Hernandez died an innocent man due to the legal principle called "abatement ab initio", where if a person dies and have not exhausted their legal appeals, their case reverts to its status at the beginning; so the person becomes innocent.

...could that be the reason he committed suicide? What would that mean if the family takes the Patriots to court for loses owed to Hernandez for cutting an innocent man, or any life insurance policies or lawsuits against the correctional facilities?

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:23 pm

why.....? :shock:

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Man... what a sad story... :(

GeneralSilent
MVP

Postby GeneralSilent » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Kevin5455 wrote:why.....? :shock:

He probably doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison
God bless america!

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

He died the same day that the Patriots went to the White House and got threes Super Bowl rings. I think that's what put him over the edge.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 am

AaronS wrote:Sobering.

Saw the story on PFT first thing this morning. Reading some of the comments from their members made me want to vomit.

I know.
A lot of comment boxes are complete garbage disposals.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way defending Hernandez, but this was an awful tragedy on every level.
The things people say when they're hiding behind a keyboard.....it can make one despise the species.

It's so refreshing to to visit footballidiot.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 am

1312qohelet wrote:

I know.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way defending Hernandez, but this was an awful tragedy on every level.
The things people say when they're hiding behind a keyboard.....it can make one despise the species.

The only two things that are tragic about this are that his kid won't ever be able to see her father attempt to turn himself around, and that the family of the victims couldn't see him get the full punishment he deserved. I have no sympathy for him.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am

RevanFan wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:

I know.

The only two things that are tragic about this are that his kid won't ever be able to see her father attempt to turn himself around, and that the family of the victims couldn't see him get the full punishment he deserved. I have no sympathy for him.

He deserves no sympathy.

Return to “New England Patriots”