NFL is vindictive towards Brady

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am

Four games is too much punishment against Tom for something that he did not do.

Anyhow no one has indicated that Brady has deflated any balls, and it would be stupid if they tried to make that case.
Before, during, or after a game he has absolutely no opportunity to do such a thing.

So if Tom Brady did not do the deed, why is he being targeted?

Just because he decided to maintain his privacy in their quest to look for evidence of improper activity,
"the league" has decided to make an example of him, to warn the other players not to defy the NFL gods.

They went too far in their desire to intimidate the players,
and I hope that there is severe blowback to the league's reputation from their bullying.

For the first time ever, I sympathize with Tom Brady.
He gets like what, a half second to three to hold the ball, while he delivers it?
What if he were hiked a slightly deflated ball during the game?
Would he even notice?
And if he did, should he have even mentioned it?

I say that it's not his responsibility to stop the game and consult with the officials in that circumstance, but to continue to play the game.
What say ye?

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: NFL is vindictive towards Brady

Postby RevanFan » Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm

It's not like they even asked him to turn over his phone, though. They asked him to turn over any data from his phone he felt is important to the story and anything that could clear his name. He refused. Some people think Robert Kraft will take the punishment to court, but if they do that, they'll be screwed. Brady will have to give up his phone, and their probably going to rule the same way Ted Wells did.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Wed May 13, 2015 7:21 pm

RevanFan wrote:It's not like they even asked him to turn over his phone, though. They asked him to turn over any data from his phone he felt is important to the story and anything that could clear his name. He refused. Some people think Robert Kraft will take the punishment to court, but if they do that, they'll be screwed. Brady will have to give up his phone, and their probably going to rule the same way Ted Wells did.

And I agree with him refusing even if he had something. You wish someone who has hands on Brady's phone isn't going to do some scrolling through contacts.
Gridiron: The punishment was they believe Brady knew about it and maybe even told the ball boys to it.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm

The most ironic part of the situation is that every other team is laughing their asses off at the "Cheatriots". I do agree with RevanFan, and Patriots fans should be relieved that it was just a 4-game suspension. The only reason the consequence wasn't as severe as expected is because I'm positive they know that this isn't the first time a team used deflated balls before. There's got to be other teams that know the science behind the football.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Thu May 14, 2015 2:00 pm

RevanFan wrote:It's not like they even asked him to turn over his phone, though. They asked him to turn over any data from his phone he felt is important to the story and anything that could clear his name.
Perhaps there was no phone data important or even pertinent to the story, but only personal private unrelated information? After all it's not like this is a criminal activity.

He refused.
:roll: Yeah right. As if you know what was on his phone.

I can think of a thousand reasons why Brady or anyone else might not want anyone else, especially a bunch of shysters, snooping around on their private phone. He had every right to tell them no. He has every right to keep his private and work life separate. It almost makes one think that the players need some sort of union protection.

Some people think Robert Kraft will take the punishment to court, but if they do that, they'll be screwed. Brady will have to give up his phone, and their probably going to rule the same way Ted Wells did.
No reason to justify the NFL bullying with crap logic. If it goes to court, then the case would have to do with the breaking of some law. Sorry RevanFan, but Brady's phone has nothing to do with a crime. Unless you know something that I don't, then I'm "all ears".
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Thu May 14, 2015 5:03 pm

BREAKING NEWS!!! from the nation's "newspaper of record".

The Patriots’ report, titled, “The Wells Report in Context,” and complied by their own lawyers, contains point-by-point responses, at times in mocking tones, of the investigative report compiled by Theodore V. Wells Jr. on the league’s behalf. It appeared Thursday on a website called wellsreportcontext.com. It challenged virtually every negative finding in the Wells report and provided contrary evidence, including the time it takes a man to urinate.

Concerning man's eliminated waste, it seems that the league's "front office" has stepped into a steaming pile of the other stuff.
The million dollar fine against the Pats is far less than the league paid the lawyer for his stupid report, so they came out behind on the deal.
Arrogant anuses.

Tom Brady, NFLPA appeal four-game suspension - NFL.com

The actual report that was used as justification to attack Tom Brady.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... e-doc.html
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu May 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Here's my thoughts on the punishment. I agree with most of it, but Brady's suspension was too steep. Two games maybe, not four. Even possibly just a several game fine. They mainly went down on him so hard because they want to use him as an example to everyone else, and because they've cheated before. They were right to punish the Patriots, but Goodell still is acting more desperate than calculating.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Thu May 14, 2015 10:58 pm

RevanFan wrote:Here's my thoughts on the punishment. I agree with most of it, but Brady's suspension was too steep. Two games maybe, not four. Even possibly just a several game fine. They mainly went down on him so hard because they want to use him as an example to everyone else, and because they've cheated before. They were right to punish the Patriots, but Goodell still is acting more desperate than calculating.

No actually, I look at everything you just said (and I agree with) and come to the conclusion that it is calculated. I think it's more "probable than not" that Goodell set the suspension at four games, knowing that Brady would appeal and it will probably get reduced.

In the PR battle, Goodell needs to look harsh rather than soft. He took a lot of flak for being soft on Ray Rice, soft on Ben Roethlisberger, and soft on Plaxico Burress.

Is the NFL vindictive towards Brady? No. Do they hate the Patriots? No. Brady did two things wrong and only was his fault: He got caught and he happened to be caught at the wrong time.

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Thu May 14, 2015 11:19 pm

I personally don't think that the punishment was steep enough.......The NFL destroyed the Saints for "bountygate" but basically slapped the Patriots on the hand.....

I just feel the Patriots have had too many scandals for some of it not to be true......

I also think Brady is going to hear a lot more boo birds and hecklers when the Patriots are away from Boston and this is going to effect him.....

petroleum
All-Pro

Postby petroleum » Fri May 15, 2015 1:01 am

I figured that Brady would get 4 games. If the image of Brady returning from suspension to face the Colts didn't make such a nice narrative then I'd expect that to get cut in half. I also figured the Patriots would loose their 1st round pick, but did not see the next year's 4th coming. I didn't really expect Belichick to get punished but think that he should have gotten a game or two just on the theory that a fish rots from the head. Overall I'm satisfied with the punishment.

However, the main problem with this--or any--NFL punishment handed down is that it all seems entirely arbitrary. No one is ever able to offer a more reasonable explanation for how the severity of the punishment was determined then saying that Goodell was playing with dice. He seems to simply pick--and sometimes change--punishment based on how much the public shows it cares about an individual case.

Additionally, the game officials should have gotten punished. The Colts write the league warning them to watch out for the Patriots tampering with the game balls. Patriots personnel leaves with the balls--without permission to do so--and vanishes with the balls. Officials panic. But once they are found the officials just go ahead and put the balls into play? Really?

Return to “New England Patriots”