Raiders In Vegas

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Raiders In Vegas

Postby AaronS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm

BelieverInTeal wrote:Of all the owners who have pro sports teams in the last 20 years or so, I think Mark Davis deserves the least amount of blame. He's the only owner I know who makes most of his money off the team he owns. The deal he's getting in Las Vegas is far better than what he can get in Oakland so it's hard to say he should still stay in Oakland when the difference is as great as it is. Furthermore, this makes Las Vegas a contender when the next round of Super Bowl rights are up for bidding.

Regardless of the short-term payout, this creates a LEAGUE problem.

I wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised if the end-game for Davis and Spanos is to make their teams more profitable on paper so they can sell their birthright. That is their right, and I get that, but what then? The LEAGUE loses, and so do two great cities and fanbases.

The NFL belongs in San Diego, and Raider Nation is alive and well in Oakland AND Los Angeles. The League is better off in those two regions.

Sponsor

Sponsor

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Hopefully they have better barbers in Vegas for this guy:
Attachments
RaidersOwner.png
RaidersOwner.png (350.38 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm

JSamuel wrote:I like the Raiders move. It's great that Nevada's getting their first pro sports team. I remember how exited everyone here was when we got the Thunder.

They will have the NHL's Golden Knights before the Raiders move is effective..
So the Giants traded Beckham....

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm

AaronS wrote:Regardless of the short-term payout, this creates a LEAGUE problem.

I wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised if the end-game for Davis and Spanos is to make their teams more profitable on paper so they can sell their birthright. That is their right, and I get that, but what then? The LEAGUE loses, and so do two great cities and fanbases.

The NFL belongs in San Diego, and Raider Nation is alive and well in Oakland AND Los Angeles. The League is better off in those two regions.

You would agree though that the Raiders are one of the more popular brands in the NFL right? Well, it's a brand that only made $69 millionin stadium revenue in 2015. They can do better. It sucks for the fans in Oakland but sometimes things just don't work out.

You can look at the other end of the spectrum. The Bills have a rich owner who not only wants to stay in Buffalo but according to the Buffalo News, they won't even ask for a new stadium until they start winning. Is Buffalo a great city? Probably not. Are they a great fanbase? Yes and according to that article, the NFL aren't pushing them out of Buffalo even though there are probably other cities where they could make more.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

mee wrote:
JSamuel wrote:I like the Raiders move. It's great that Nevada's getting their first pro sports team. I remember how exited everyone here was when we got the Thunder.

My bad, I forgot about that. However, even though hockey is a relatively popular sport, it's not nearly as popular as baseball, basketball, or football. I'm sure getting a football team is much more exiting that getting a hockey team that stole it's name from the army.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

JSamuel wrote:
mee wrote:

My bad, I forgot about that. However, even though hockey is a relatively popular sport, it's not nearly as popular as baseball, basketball, or football. I'm sure getting a football team is much more exiting that getting a hockey team that stole it's name from the army.

I think the NHL Team will do very well...from what I hear, they are selling tickets like crazy.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 am

1312qohelet wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
mee wrote:They will have the NHL's Golden Knights before the Raiders move is effective..

I think the NHL Team will do very well...from what I hear, they are selling tickets like crazy.

Well, then I suppose my guess in incorrect...

Do you watch hockey?

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

JSamuel wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:
JSamuel wrote:My bad, I forgot about that. However, even though hockey is a relatively popular sport, it's not nearly as popular as baseball, basketball, or football. I'm sure getting a football team is much more exiting that getting a hockey team that stole it's name from the army.

Well, then I suppose my guess in incorrect...

Do you watch hockey?

I heard that statement about tickets on ESPN. I don't often trust them as a reliable source, but I can believe this statement.
You're not totally wrong. The NFL team will be much more popular overall, no one will dispute that.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

JSamuel wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:
RevanFan wrote:The Rams were in LA for a LONG, LONG time before going to St. Louis. I would argue the Rams belong there. The Chargers, however, most certainly do not.

Why would you argue? I can dig that....historically, the Rams are loved in L.A.
I just don't believe the current city of Los Angeles will support either franchise, for very long.
Money's not the issue. It's the overall disinterest.

But we all know that winning and winning right away will bring, and hold all the love and attention they'll need.

I liked the Rams move. I agree with Revan, that they belong in LA.

As bad as it is here in St. Louis, with the West Lake landfill fire and Coldwater Creek,
California is far, far worse and it should be evacuated.
The team's move was a disaster for the players and their families.
And the precarious Lake Oroville dam situation isn't over either.

I like the Raiders move. It's great that Nevada's getting their first pro sports team. I remember how exited everyone here was when we got the Thunder.

It's a good move, but evacuating to the other side of the Continental Divide would have been far wiser.

I do not like the Chargers move. The Chargers were in LA one year before they moved to San Diego, and they've had a loyal fan base there for a long time. Plus, like qohelet said, LA can barely support one team, let alone two. Everyone there likes basketball and baseball. (I know some people from LA... they don't care about the NFL, and they say no one they know does. Everyone just likes the Lakers and the Angels/Dodgers).

Google translated: Ignorant les imbéciles d'argent faim n'ont pas une idée sur les retombées de Fukushima, ne?
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm

BelieverInTeal wrote:You would agree though that the Raiders are one of the more popular brands in the NFL right? Well, it's a brand that only made $69 millionin stadium revenue in 2015. They can do better. It sucks for the fans in Oakland but sometimes things just don't work out.

The stadium situation is a joke, I agree. But that is a core part of all this as well. Davis won't invest money to resolve that issue beacuse unlike legit billionaires like Paul Allen and Stan Kroenke, Davis doesn't have the means to do so.

Its like having your car break down... except, rather than you or I having to go out and spend our own money on a new car, Davis is going to get someone else to buy it for him. It's just a money grab. It's his team, and his right, but that doesn't make it a smart move.

Return to “Oakland Raiders”