Drew Brees Officially Retires

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 am

Drew Brees has officially retired 15 years to the day he signed with the Saints. I liked Brees as a person but always felt he underachieved with the type of potential his offenses had. The one pass I will give him is the 2018 NFC championship game against the Rams where they got conned by the lack of a PI call.

He reminds me of Peyton Manning. Gaudy regular season stats but too many 1 and dones or poor showings in the playoffs. His recent seasons had him being a turnover machine in the playoffs and even losing in 2020 to Kirk Cousins of all people .....Still he's had a great career and made tons of money but I think he could have easily won 2 more Superbowls with the chances he had in 2006 and 2018.

Although this thread is about Brees it makes you appreciate how dedicated and unique Tom Brady is to still be playing at a relatively high level. At Tom's age, he is surpassing people who were drafted years after he was in terms of career longevity. It really is amazing.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: Drew Brees Officially Retires

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:55 am

I also like him. And I agree too! He let a couple get away. But I'm sure he's ok with his career and most likely will be inducted into the HOF on his first or second ballot! I think he'd be better served going into coaching college level or even NFL opposed to going into broadcasting. But good luck to him in his next venture!

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:37 am

Led the League is passing yards 7 times
12 5000 yard passing seasons in NFL history.. 5 of them belong to Brees.. 3 in a row

He was this generations Marino.

The fans that say he is a choker need some perspective.

The Saints made the Playoffs 5 times before Brees and Payton arrived. Not a single playoff win. 0-fer, in 39 years! Imagine that! Thats about as bad as any franchise in SPORTS history, forget NFL history. Brees helped the team win 9 Playoff games in 15 years.

In their FIRST season, after going 3-13, they were playing in the Conference Title game. 3 years later, they won a Title.

Too many 1-and-dones... yeah, okay, he had 2. Two. Both fluke losses. 97.1 Playoff QB rating, on par with the highest rated QBs in Playoff history.

Kills me how everyone has to be thrown under the train to so Brady can get removed.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 am

AaronS wrote:Kills me how everyone has to be thrown under the train to so Brady can get removed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well said, bro. well said! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He also was one of the few smaller QB's in the league that didn't have to be 6'4 to be successful! Heart over size every day!

Dolphan
Pro Bowl

Postby Dolphan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:17 pm

AaronS wrote:Led the League is passing yards 7 times
12 5000 yard passing seasons in NFL history.. 5 of them belong to Brees.. 3 in a row

He was this generations Marino.

The fans that say he is a choker need some perspective.

The Saints made the Playoffs 5 times before Brees and Payton arrived. Not a single playoff win. 0-fer, in 39 years! Imagine that! Thats about as bad as any franchise in SPORTS history, forget NFL history. Brees helped the team win 9 Playoff games in 15 years.

In their FIRST season, after going 3-13, they were playing in the Conference Title game. 3 years later, they won a Title.

Too many 1-and-dones... yeah, okay, he had 2. Two. Both fluke losses. 97.1 Playoff QB rating, on par with the highest rated QBs in Playoff history.

Kills me how everyone has to be thrown under the train to so Brady can get removed

Some of those losses aren't even his fault. If Marcus Williams doesn't press the Hit Stick too early, I'm willing to bet the Saints give the Eagles a run for their money in the '17 NFCG. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Saints had one of the worst defenses in the league for a 2-3 year span.

That being said, I'm glad Brees at least got one title and his front office helped him. Unlike Marino. It still stings.

IceyJFish
All-Pro

Postby IceyJFish » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 pm

End of a decade.
Future first Ballet Hall Of Famer!
Attachments
160456417_250793720083224_142501691897730202_n.jpg
160456417_250793720083224_142501691897730202_n.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 am

Dolphan wrote:Some of those losses aren't even his fault. If Marcus Williams doesn't press the Hit Stick too early, I'm willing to bet the Saints give the Eagles a run for their money in the '17 NFCG. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Saints had one of the worst defenses in the league for a 2-3 year span.

That being said, I'm glad Brees at least got one title and his front office helped him. Unlike Marino. It still stings.

The other one-and-done was to a losing Seahawks team (the Beastquake game) Total fluke.

The D was terrible 2014-2016. 31st, 31st, 27th.. 3 7-9s in a row... 2012, with the Bounty Gate suspensions, they were 31st in yards, 32nd in points. Bizzare that they sandwiched an 11-5 in there. They were 4th in points and yards. Thats one crazy anomaly.

Really enjoyed watching Brees play. So easy to root for him.

The League is running out of these types of guys. The kids are really going to have to mature quickly to fill shoes like this.

Dolphan
Pro Bowl

Postby Dolphan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm

AaronS wrote:
Dolphan wrote:Some of those losses aren't even his fault. If Marcus Williams doesn't press the Hit Stick too early, I'm willing to bet the Saints give the Eagles a run for their money in the '17 NFCG. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Saints had one of the worst defenses in the league for a 2-3 year span.

The other one-and-done was to a losing Seahawks team (the Beastquake game) Total fluke.

The D was terrible 2014-2016. 31st, 31st, 27th.. 3 7-9s in a row... 2012, with the Bounty Gate suspensions, they were 31st in yards, 32nd in points. Bizzare that they sandwiched an 11-5 in there. They were 4th in points and yards. Thats one crazy anomaly.

Really enjoyed watching Brees play. So easy to root for him.

Totally forgot about the Beastquake game. I remember everybody and their mother picked the Saints to repeat, and they lost in the Wild Card (I think).

I loved watching Brees too. Behind Aaron Rodgers, he's my favorite quarterback to watch because he was consistently accurate. In his prime, he could put the nose of the football in a puddle from 60 yards out. Dude was amazing.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:03 pm

I feel about Brees the same way I feel about Peyton. He was easily in the Top 3 of QBs of this generation, and possibly in the Top 5 all time. I'd personally slot him at 2nd in this generation, bracketed by you can probably guess who.

The thing is, he suffered from what I call the Manning syndrome (And it could be easily called the Marino syndrome too). He was so great that he managed to lead teams that were average or worse, to the playoffs, only to be dispatched when the team, not him, fell apart. This did happen more to Peyton than to Drew (those Defenses were just too terrible), but it happened. And this includes last year too. He played terribly, yes. But the Saints' defense didn't really help. They had great shots at INTs, but drops happened ... of course, the guy at the other end was ... Brady.

He was just an amazing player. Perhaps too amazing.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Return to “New Orleans Saints”