Total votes: 28

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Re: Is the NFL rigged/fixed?

Postby sarcasticface » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:
sarcasticface wrote:
KeepinItTeal wrote:
Did he win a Super Bowl with any of those guys? No.

There goes your argument. Lol.

SuPeR BoWl rInGs mAtTeR...

Huh? That makes my argument that Billy doesn't win Super Bowls unless Brady is under center.

Apparently you don’t get what dOiNg tHiS means. It means that I was being sarcastic. You don’t have to have rings to prove you’re successful. Also, rings don’t prove you’re successful.

Sponsor

Sponsor

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:47 pm

Please read:

Under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr, Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson[48] and ultimately started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons. During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[54] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998, a season in which Michigan shared the Big Ten Conference title.[55] Brady capped that season with a 45–31 win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.[56]

In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two players platooned during the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half. The 1999 Michigan Wolverines started with a 5–0 record, including a 26–22 win over Notre Dame, and a road win against eventual powerhouse Wisconsin. Against Michigan State, Brady was not chosen to play the second half; however, he was reinserted into the game with Michigan down by 17 points, and he nearly led Michigan all the way back before losing 34–31.[57] After a 300-yard passing game the following week, Carr went exclusively with Brady for the remainder of the season. Brady went on to lead Michigan to multiple 4th-quarter comebacks, including a remarkable 31–27 win against Penn State, and leading them out of a close game against Indiana, 34–31, heading into the regular season's final game, winners of three straight, earning him the moniker of "Comeback Kid".[58]

Michigan concluded the regular season against Ohio State; this was a dramatic game with a trip to the Orange Bowl on the line. With five minutes left, tied 17–17, Brady led Michigan to the winning score.[59] He led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards, four touchdowns, leading the team back from a pair of 14-point deficits in regulation (14–0 in the first half, and 28–14 in the second). He threw the game-winning score on a bootleg to tight end Shawn Thompson. Michigan won the game when Alabama missed an extra point following its own touchdown.[60][61]

In the two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including wins at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking third in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, fourth with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and fifth with 35 touchdown passes

So the fact that Bill drafting Tom wasn't a fluke! He saw something nobody else did. He bottled all of Tom's 2 year success and drank the juice! What if Tom was told by Bill prior to, that they were 1,000,000% going to draft him and please "tank" at the combine!

Tom Brady is labeled "The Greatest STEAL in the NFL draft"!!!!! He's been great for a long time, Bill knew it and it paid off!

Super Genius!

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Thinking back on it, @KiT, without Brady, Belichick would maybe not have 1 of those. Because of this:
1. Vinateiri
2. Also Vinateiri
3. McNabb and his 3 picks
4. Hey Russ, you wanna Super Bowl ring? Nah, I’ll pass.
5. Without Brady, Belichick might not have gotten this one; but also, the Falcons D gave up.
6. The slugfest in which Brady did nothing except give the ball away.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 pm

TeeNice wrote:Please read:

Under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr, Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson[48] and ultimately started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons. During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[54] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998, a season in which Michigan shared the Big Ten Conference title.[55] Brady capped that season with a 45–31 win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.[56]

In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two players platooned during the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half. The 1999 Michigan Wolverines started with a 5–0 record, including a 26–22 win over Notre Dame, and a road win against eventual powerhouse Wisconsin. Against Michigan State, Brady was not chosen to play the second half; however, he was reinserted into the game with Michigan down by 17 points, and he nearly led Michigan all the way back before losing 34–31.[57] After a 300-yard passing game the following week, Carr went exclusively with Brady for the remainder of the season. Brady went on to lead Michigan to multiple 4th-quarter comebacks, including a remarkable 31–27 win against Penn State, and leading them out of a close game against Indiana, 34–31, heading into the regular season's final game, winners of three straight, earning him the moniker of "Comeback Kid".[58]

Michigan concluded the regular season against Ohio State; this was a dramatic game with a trip to the Orange Bowl on the line. With five minutes left, tied 17–17, Brady led Michigan to the winning score.[59] He led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards, four touchdowns, leading the team back from a pair of 14-point deficits in regulation (14–0 in the first half, and 28–14 in the second). He threw the game-winning score on a bootleg to tight end Shawn Thompson. Michigan won the game when Alabama missed an extra point following its own touchdown.[60][61]

In the two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including wins at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking third in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, fourth with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and fifth with 35 touchdown passes

So the fact that Bill drafting Tom wasn't a fluke! He saw something nobody else did. He bottled all of Tom's 2 year success and drank the juice! What if Tom was told by Bill prior to, that they were 1,000,000% going to draft him and please "tank" at the combine!

Tom Brady is labeled "The Greatest STEAL in the NFL draft"!!!!! He's been great for a long time, Bill knew it and it paid off!

Super Genius!

Lol. You’re funny.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 pm

sarcasticface wrote:Thinking back on it, @KiT, without Brady, Belichick would maybe not have 1 of those. Because of this:
1. Vinateiri
2. Also Vinateiri
5. Without Brady, Belichick might not have gotten this one; but also, the Falcons D gave up.

Wait, so Vinateiri gets two wins and the rest of the team didn't do anything? Didn't the Patriots have to move the ball within field goal range first, and I think they scored some TDs as well... Cramming single games and awarding credit to a single player makes zero sense to me. The Patriots defense never gets enough credit either.

Oh, and I love how when Brady played out of his mind in the 2018 Super Bowl vs the Eagles, they couldn't win because of the defense's total inability to do anything. Just the one strip sack and that turned out to be the game-winner for the Eagles.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Danchat wrote:
sarcasticface wrote:Thinking back on it, @KiT, without Brady, Belichick would maybe not have 1 of those. Because of this:
1. Vinateiri
2. Also Vinateiri

Wait, so Vinateiri gets two wins and the rest of the team didn't do anything? Didn't the Patriots have to move the ball within field goal range first, and I think they scored some TDs as well... Cramming single games and awarding credit to a single player makes zero sense to me. The Patriots defense never gets enough credit either.

Oh, and I love how when Brady played out of his mind in the 2018 Super Bowl vs the Eagles, they couldn't win because of the defense's total inability to do anything. Just the one strip sack and that turned out to be the game-winner for the Eagles.

Funny thing that NO ONE remembers that Stephen Gostkowski had an extra point miss and a Field Goal miss that could have altered the game a bit. But, nah, the fumble takes the center stage.

Also, defenses are NEVER given enough credit for Super Bowl wins. I'd say the 2 greatest examples of this are Super Bowl XXXVI and Super Bowl XLII. I had to point out an example against New England just to balance things out. For XXXVI, everyone goes Vinatieri or that drive that put Vinatieri there, but no one points out that a) At that point Brady was not "that guy", and the team's center piece was the defense or that b) Said defense stalled the Greatest Show on Turf Rams for nearly 3 quarters. For XLII, everyone will point to Plaxico, or Eli or Tyree, or that Asante Samuel dropped a game ending pick (Even if he catches it, with his arms fully extended making it more difficult, he doesn't come down in bounds. Blame Rodney Harrison for allowing the Helmet Catch), but that D managed to stop the single, most powerful NFL offense ever and gave the O a chance to win it. And for bonus, XLIII. Arizona doesn't have a shot at the game if their D doesn't stall Pittsburgh for 3 quarters (Sure, Fitzgerald coming on in the 4th quarter helps). Pittsburgh doesn't win it if they don't contain Arizona for the 1st half, if they shut them down in their final drive, or if James Harrison is slower (Of course, the game winning drive AND that catch helps).

Defense is plainly underrated.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 pm

I can say that in the Pats v Rams (first one) the Ty Law INT for a TD should have been negated by a Roughing the QB penalty on Vrabel. if you watch the replay Vrabel hits Rams QB Warner in the face after the play...
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm

BUS36 wrote:I can say that in the Pats v Rams (first one) the Ty Law INT for a TD should have been negated by a Roughing the QB penalty on Vrabel. if you watch the replay Vrabel hits Rams QB Warner in the face after the play...

So with that said... Everybody has a laundry list/bag(s) of one-off plays and moments in the games history that seemed to be "the play" that decided an outcome! Disregard the other 59 minutes played, or the other 75 plays run!!! Does that mean every championship won by any team is marred with an asterisk because somebody blew or missed a call in one of the games leading up to the win?? I have my own personal list of 1000 blown/missed calls that should have gone the other way also!!!

Jose21, the defense only has to be good enough to stop the opponent from scoring more than their team. Owners have been building defenses that way for years! Goes back to my point of when drafting, why owners trade down for less talented players. Defenses don't have to be stellar, and they do not get the credit they deserve because this NFL is an offensive passing league that wants to excite fans with lots of scoring, big plays and just enough defense to win. It doesn't matter by how much!

And to Bus36, rules have been altered to protect the QB's of today. Today that slap is 15 yards roughing, but 20 years ago, it was just a slap because back the defensive linemen were taught after shedding the blocker to rush the passer with hands high because if you can't reach the QB for a sack, you can possibly deflect a pass! Actually last season, I saw several plays across multiple games that went down like that, but the defender hit the QB's shoulder pads, not facemask or helmet, but was called for roughing even after replay confirmed the QB was not hit in the face!

So I'll always have a gut feeling about the league being fixed, even scripted to some degree!

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Brady was successful in college, won rings. The success transcended into the pro game. Bill on the flip side was a good assistant coach. He won rings as an assistant coach. Was mentored by the great Bill Parcell. That success transcended into his HC game, even though he had a rough start in Cleveland! Both coach and qb have had successful transitions. I'm not a Pat's fan, but I respect their teams accomplishments! I wish the Bears could boast such a record over the last last 18 seasons!

No team will turn down a donation! So when Seattle opted on the goal-line to pass instead of going with skittles afforded Bill another ring! He simply tried to out-smart Bill and it back-fired. Everyone in the entire world knew/expected Lynch would get the ball to win the game, but Pete actually outsmarted his-self by NOT going with Beast-mode! Pat's generously accepted the gift! One great game though! It was like a great chess match where the loser says he beat his-self and the winner just smiles in agreement!

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Actually the rule of roughing a QB in the head was made in the 1990's... the Brady Rule followed in 2008.hitting below the waste.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “NFL Football”