Worst officiated game I've ever seen

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Man, that was bad. REALLY bad. A blind person could've seen that PI. And there was another holding on that same guy. They let Brees hike the ball at :00 on the play clock. REALLY bad. I didn't see Super Bowl 40, so I don't know how bad that was.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Worst officiated game I've ever seen

Postby RevanFan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm

I've seen some horribly officiated games in recent years. Almost all of the worst ones have been this season.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:54 pm

sarcasticface wrote:Man, that was bad. REALLY bad. A blind person could've seen that PI. And there was another holding on that same guy. They let Brees hike the ball at :00 on the play clock. REALLY bad. I didn't see Super Bowl 40, so I don't know how bad that was.

I've heard that Super Bowl XL was pretty bad in officiating. Not horrible, but some calls went Pittsburgh's way.
RevanFan wrote:I've seen some horribly officiated games in recent years. Almost all of the worst ones have been this season.

As for this season, let's recap what I saw:
  • Snaps at :00, massive amounts of them
  • Missed PI calls, both offense and defense (Stares at the Ravens DBs). I remember a pretty terrible one. Against the Ravens, Baker Mayfield threw a bomb deep down field that fell incomplete ... with no one around. What happened between the LOS and the point of impact? Jarvis Landry pretty much got tackled. And since the ball was deemed uncatchable, it wasn't DPI. Despite the fact that, well, NFL WRs are freaking fast.
  • Missed Helmet to Helmet hits
  • The Clay Matthews Can't tackle QBs trilogy
  • Missed Roughing the Passer calls. I remember one where Dak Prescott got slammed against the Seahawks pretty hard against the turf, no penalty
  • Touching a QB's helmet is a Roughing the Passer too, not just on Tom, Ben got bailed out against the Bucs on this one if memory serves
  • Make up calls. The ref missed a DPI call? When the other team is on offense there is going to be a DPI ... with basic hand fighting of WR vs. DB ... on an uncatchable ball
  • A Chargers™: Scoring a TD with a missed False Start on the play
  • Missed Hands to the Face by offensive and defensive players, mostly linemen or edge rushers
  • Missed illegal blocks
  • An overall bad kicking season. Not official related, but kicking overall was ... pretty ...bad.
There's probably more stuff I missed
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Super Bowl XL is hands down the worst I've ever seen. Its not remotely close.

The Seahawks raced down the field, and went up 7-0... if not for a bogus offensive PI call. Darrell Jackson did put his hand on his man, but he did not push off to the degree that his man would have been unable to make a play on the ball. He was too far out of position to make a play, regardless.

4th Q, Seattle trails 14-10.. Hasselbeck throws an 18 yard pass to his TE to the 1-yard line..... THE.ABSOLUTE.WORST.HOLDING.CALL.E-V-E-R!!!

Sean Locklear STANDS UP his man (Clark Haggans)... absolute TEXTBOOK block.. gets under his pads and completely stones him.. you can see his momentum come to a COMPLETE stop.. and he gets called for a hold.. after the game, the ref admits he called the foul based on Haggans body language, and nothing more. The worst call I've ever seen.

.. 3 plays later, they flag Hasselbeck for going low after throwing an INT.

I don't believe in fixes in the NFL, but if I did, this would be exhibit 1.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:08 am

I'll bump this one up instead of making a new one. Geez, the refs this season. PI review is a waste of challenge, looks like a PR move and they might as well stop allowing their review. Missed calls, fake calls, make up calls. Too many penalties and too many missed penalties. For example, in the Cowboys-Jets game there were something like 4 penalties in a 10 second span! And the Lions-Packers game should have come down to a comeback by Detroit, not a BS hands to the face call. Which was called twice and each time was wrong.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Still gotta stand by SB XL

Equally as bad.. with a TITLE on the line.

... the Lions had their chances, regardless of the officials.. They started a drive at the GB 25 and only gained 2 yards. They started another drive in Packer territory and failed to get a 1st down. After a red hot 1st Q, they settled for field goals. Heck, even in the midst of their early barrage, they were settling for FGs.

Bogus calls on Flowers, and on that personal foul. No defending that at all.

.. I think the only solution to this is to call/pickup fouls from the booth. Replay officials.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Bad refs make the sport so boring....

Return to “NFL Football”