No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 23

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: The Real GOAT

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 am

BUS36 wrote:The real G.O.A.T is Otto Graham... had taken the Browns to league championship games every year between 1946 and 1955, winning seven of them. With Graham at quarterback. No one else has ever come close...

Technically those Browns right now are known as the "Baltimore Ravens", and the actual Browns right now were a dumpster until about 1 month ago where Joe Thomas wasted his entire career (Dude remembers the name of the 20 some QBs he had to protect).
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 am

sarcasticface wrote:After all, Super Bowl rings aren't the only things that matter...even if they did...if Brees had a defense every year he's played, he would have 18 Super Bowl rings.

Yes it is. ;) it's all that matters. You play to win, that's objective. You play to be the champion.

It's good to remember and celebrate then all for their contributions to the game, but when comparing the greatest of all time.... winning is the only thing that matters.

Brady won more rings than Montana but he lost. One lost knocks you out of the GOAT running. Because the objective is not to lose.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

KO'BBF wrote:
sarcasticface wrote:After all, Super Bowl rings aren't the only things that matter...even if they did...if Brees had a defense every year he's played, he would have 18 Super Bowl rings.

Yes it is. ;) it's all that matters. You play to win, that's objective. You play to be the champion.

It's good to remember and celebrate then all for their contributions to the game, but when comparing the greatest of all time.... winning is the only thing that matters.

Brady won more rings than Montana but he lost. One lost knocks you out of the GOAT running. Because the objective is not to lose.

Didn't we all agree that SB rings are a team effort, not an individual effort? Otherwise we would be saying that Joe Flacco is better than Phillip Rivers and Dan Marino.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:46 am

Eek! I should have proofread...

I agree it's a team game, but I believe a quarterback's success is still measured by it. The quarterback has a lot to do with his team's win/loss record and well as possibly the attitude of the entire team. Like Herm said. "you play to win the game." So I stick by the super bowl rings argument :)
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am

Quaterbacks are referred as the generals on the field... then I don't see Bradshaw on that list .. first to win 4 Super Bowls, called his own plays, never lost a Super Bowl...so in this age of QBs having the OC call plays, really how can you can Brady, Brees,Phillips,Marino, Flacco ( really)... Basically the only QB that actually called his own plays on this list is Unitas...all the rest had their OC call plays...that little green dot.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 am

Bus speaks wisdom.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 am

KO'BBF wrote:

Yeah. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Defense wins championships. In that case, Brady has no rings, it's all his defense.

KO'BBF wrote:It's good to remember and celebrate then all for their contributions to the game, but when comparing the greatest of all time.... winning is the only thing that matters.

Nah. Greatest of all time means that, not "winningest of all time". I think TB12 deserves some credit, but not all of it. If TB12 had Drew Brees' defenses, he would have no rings. When I chose Brees, I thought of how good HE is, not the team he plays on (even though they might win the SB). Brees is, by far, the most accurate quarterback ever, therefore I put him at GOAT.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am

BUS36 wrote:Quaterbacks are referred as the generals on the field... then I don't see Bradshaw on that list .. first to win 4 Super Bowls, called his own plays, never lost a Super Bowl...so in this age of QBs having the OC call plays, really how can you can Brady, Brees,Phillips,Marino, Flacco ( really)... Basically the only QB that actually called his own plays on this list is Unitas...all the rest had their OC call plays...that little green dot.

I thought about putting Bradshaw on there but I didn't. Guys, if were going by Super Bowls, then the GOAT is Joe Montana.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:44 pm

jose21crisis wrote:I would say Brady (If we talk the greatest QB ever. I don't think we can talk of a greatest player ever due to the fact this is a team game UNLESS, that player happens to play a lot of offensive position or defensive positions and can kick and punt. Basically Wes Welker). He has managed to maintain a great level through out 2 decades, has a hilariously high amount of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives (Counterpoint: Brees has nearly as many 4QCs and more GWD, and Peyton beats them by a decent amount), and has managed to will relatively bad teams into the playoffs more than most QBs (Counterpoint: Peyton is not most QBs, And he has willed extremely terrible Colts' teams into the playoffs, only to see them unfold, be it bad defense, troubled offenses whose weaknesses are hidden by Peyton, see 2010, or Mike Vanderjagt. And he has been much maligned for that. Wrongly too). My final argument would be the fact that he led the single best offensive unit ever in 2007 (Although that didn't work out well in the end). BTW, I haven't mentioned Montana. I put him between Brady and Peyton.

Time for a tougher question. What about this: Remember the 2004 draft? Who you think was the best QB out of that draft?
I'll go out saying it's Roethlisberger, followed by Rivers, then Eli. Don't forget Matt Schaub too.

Also, now that I put that right above (At the top of the post) what about asking who you think is the GOAT at it's position.

By this logic... the GOAT wil be Taysom Hill... this dude do at all :D

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:40 pm

achernar wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:I would say Brady (If we talk the greatest QB ever. I don't think we can talk of a greatest player ever due to the fact this is a team game UNLESS, that player happens to play a lot of offensive position or defensive positions and can kick and punt. Basically Wes Welker). He has managed to maintain a great level through out 2 decades, has a hilariously high amount of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives (Counterpoint: Brees has nearly as many 4QCs and more GWD, and Peyton beats them by a decent amount), and has managed to will relatively bad teams into the playoffs more than most QBs (Counterpoint: Peyton is not most QBs, And he has willed extremely terrible Colts' teams into the playoffs, only to see them unfold, be it bad defense, troubled offenses whose weaknesses are hidden by Peyton, see 2010, or Mike Vanderjagt. And he has been much maligned for that. Wrongly too). My final argument would be the fact that he led the single best offensive unit ever in 2007 (Although that didn't work out well in the end). BTW, I haven't mentioned Montana. I put him between Brady and Peyton.

Time for a tougher question. What about this: Remember the 2004 draft? Who you think was the best QB out of that draft?
I'll go out saying it's Roethlisberger, followed by Rivers, then Eli. Don't forget Matt Schaub too.

Also, now that I put that right above (At the top of the post) what about asking who you think is the GOAT at it's position.

By this logic... the GOAT wil be Taysom Hill... this dude do at all :D

Lol. I'd be fine with that.

Return to “NFL Football”