Apparently Clay Matthews is forbidden from tackling QBs

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I had the luck of being able to watch the Washington-Packers (I wanted to see the 49ers-Chiefs game, sadly it was not shown). It was looking like a good game and it ended up being, I need to keep in mind that Adrian Peterson still can't be stopped. So we get to the 2nd half, and we all know where this is going, if the title didn't spoil it.
(Hopefully that loads)
My initial reaction to that tackle was: "Damn, Clay is fast. Solid tackle too". Cue the yellow flag: "You kidding right? How? Why?". Like, what are defensive players supposed to do? Push QBs until they hit their own endzone? Learn to levitate so that they can't fall on top of people?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Apparently Clay Matthews is forbidden from tackling QBs

Postby RevanFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 pm

The same exact thing happened in the Dallas game. They called a penalty on Tyrone Crawford for "falling on the quarterback". The worst part? The rule was administered correctly. It's a pathetic, ridiculous rule, but that's the rule.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

RevanFan wrote:The same exact thing happened in the Dallas game. They called a penalty on Tyrone Crawford for "falling on the quarterback". The worst part? The rule was administered correctly. It's a pathetic, ridiculous rule, but that's the rule.

Ugh... Cowboys games are depressing to watch....

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 pm

I want to know how a defensive player going straight at the QB is "supposed" to roll to the side to make the tackle at full speed....I think this rule will cost a team a win or a playoff win or a Super Bowl win this season.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am

RevanFan wrote:The same exact thing happened in the Dallas game. They called a penalty on Tyrone Crawford for "falling on the quarterback". The worst part? The rule was administered correctly. It's a pathetic, ridiculous rule, but that's the rule.

Very true...the ref's are calling it the way they are told and trained to. The rule is complete B.S.

The sad part is, it's only going to get worse

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:01 pm

The dumb part about the rule is that it completely ignores something we can't change... the laws of physics!! If you tackle a guy in that manner, of course you're going to fall on top of him, unless the defenders can figure out a way to defy gravity. So, dumb. Good job NFL.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I thought Barr could have delivered a glancing blow rather than pancaking Rodgers last year, so I'm really not at liberty to complain here.

My $0.02 here is;

The NFL doesn't want to see Deshon Kizer Vs Brian Hoyer November 4th. They want Rodgers V Brady. Owners don't want to pay QBs $30mil a year to stand on the sidelines in street clothes.

I don't think this is going away.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 pm

This is the proper way to tackle:

https://www.facebook.com/MEMES.of.the.N ... 082622892/

(Not sure if this will show up)

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm

On that same game, I saw Dak getting turned around and smacked into the ground with some serious force. Yet it drawed no penalty. The problem is that the refs are NOT consistent with this penalty. In the Washington-Packers game, Rodgers got clobbered in a way that last year ended with his collarbone broken, yet the refs kept their flags on their pockets.
BUS36 wrote:I want to know how a defensive player going straight at the QB is "supposed" to roll to the side to make the tackle at full speed....I think this rule will cost a team a win or a playoff win or a Super Bowl win this season.

KeepinItTeal wrote:The dumb part about the rule is that it completely ignores something we can't change... the laws of physics!! If you tackle a guy in that manner, of course you're going to fall on top of him, unless the defenders can figure out a way to defy gravity. So, dumb. Good job NFL.

That's the biggest problem with the rule. Say, a defender comes out of a block and instantly hits the QB without having any time to even try to roll away or do anything, just wrap and bring down. That is (Probably) going to be called a penalty on what, on any other situation, would be called a textbook tackle.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Return to “NFL Football”