Kirk Cousins to the Vikes?

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 pm

What do you all think, is this a good thing? Ian Rappaport seems to think that a QB is the only thing that the Vikings are missing and it's a good fit.
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Kirk Cousins to the Vikes?

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:What do you all think, is this a good thing? Ian Rappaport seems to think that a QB is the only thing that the Vikings are missing and it's a good fit.

Yep, the Vikings gave him a $86M, 3 year deal. And I don't think the Vikings were missing any thing. They got to the NFC Championship with Case Keenum (Who Mike Zimmer still thinks is crap, and is probably going to Denver). They basically did what the Jaguars did (Give their QB a great series of weapons and an elite defensive unit), but far better (Since Blake Bortles is just some kind of bad). Not saying Case Keenum is bad (He played for some time under Jeff Fisher "Mr. No more 7-9 BS". Any QB will look bad under Fisher, just look at Jared Goff) They sputtered out in the NFC Championship for some reason, but they still have an elite defensive unit, and a solid defense with our without Kirk. They could have re-signed Bridgewater, Bradford or Keenum and still would have been a force to be reckoned. Add to the fact that the Packers are hell-bent on making Aaron Rodgers job a lot harder by making the Packers' Defense be full of holes and have practically no O-Line, and the Vikings will have control of the NFC North for a while. With our without Cousins.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:What do you all think, is this a good thing? Ian Rappaport seems to think that a QB is the only thing that the Vikings are missing and it's a good fit.

They will be scary good with Cousins at QB. I think they are now the Super Bowl favorites.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:59 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:

They will be scary good with Cousins at QB. I think they are now the Super Bowl favorites.

Weren't they Super Bowl favorites when everyone realized Case Keenum was actually good?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
KeepinItTeal wrote:

Weren't they Super Bowl favorites when everyone realized Case Keenum was actually good?

I think they were NFC favorites. But they'd have been a big dog to the Pats or Jags. ;) :lol:

madden07eurocat
Hall of Fame

Postby madden07eurocat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:21 pm

I think the big question is........is Cousins worth $86M guaranteed. I just feel the Vikings are settling for the best thing available, arguably, in the FA. But that's a lot of money.
Don't sweat the petty things, and yet don't pet the sweaty things! ;)

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

madden07eurocat wrote:I think the big question is........is Cousins worth $86M guaranteed. I just feel the Vikings are settling for the best thing available, arguably, in the FA. But that's a lot of money.

Sure they might be settling for the best thing available at QB, but the best thing available at QB plus the rest of their team could equal a Super Bowl.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

RevanFan wrote:
madden07eurocat wrote:I think the big question is........is Cousins worth $86M guaranteed. I just feel the Vikings are settling for the best thing available, arguably, in the FA. But that's a lot of money.

Sure they might be settling for the best thing available at QB, but the best thing available at QB plus the rest of their team could equal a Super Bowl.

And, the best thing available in FA is way better than the best thing in FA usually is at this position. They are lucky! You only have a small window to go after a Super Bowl and you have to have a QB, which is why I don't think we will see the Jags in the SB in the near future. Don't waste a talented roster by fielding a mediocre QB... ask any Bears fan about that one.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Yep, this was the best move the Vikings could make. Cousins will get $28M a year for 3 years and they don't have to worry about years 4-6 on a longer deal (most mega deals like this already have at least the first three years guaranteed) and it's the best shot the Vikings have at the Super Bowl. Will they be able to win one? I doubt it because this team is destined to choke when they arrive in the playoffs, but I'd rather see them go all in.

Or, you know, they could have tried to re-sign Sam Bradford to a 1 year $20M (only $8M less!!) deal like the Cardinals just did. Have fun trying to keep that knee healthy behind the league's worst offensive line!
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Danchat wrote:Yep, this was the best move the Vikings could make. Cousins will get $28M a year for 3 years and they don't have to worry about years 4-6 on a longer deal (most mega deals like this already have at least the first three years guaranteed) and it's the best shot the Vikings have at the Super Bowl. Will they be able to win one? I doubt it because this team is destined to choke when they arrive in the playoffs, but I'd rather see them go all in.

And considering there are other teams that are also in a win now mode (The Pats are always in win now, even when they aren't. The Steelers only have 2-3 more years of Old Big Ben. The Saints and Old Drew Brees. He's not too old at 39, and he hasn't slowed down, but still.), so that one will be a road full of bumps. They are still one hell of a team and will be extremely tough to beat.

Danchat wrote:Or, you know, they could have tried to re-sign Sam Bradford to a 1 year $20M (only $8M less!!) deal like the Cardinals just did. Have fun trying to keep that knee healthy behind the league's worst offensive line!

Yeah ... Sam Bradford won't last as long as Carson Palmer did. Even Carson Palmer, a Pocket Passer, had to scramble around because of that line. It would be understandable if it was someone like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, who are good scrambling QBs and have done that for their entire career. But Sam. Don't think so.
Semper fi

Return to “NFL Football”