Danchat's 2018 Mock Draft

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

It's time for a mock draft! Now that the combine has passed, I have a better idea of how the draft might play out.
Sources: Walterfootball.com & ProFootballFocus

(this mock draft will include no trades)

1. Browns: Baker Mayfield, Quarterback, Oklahoma

The Browns need to find their franchise QB and I doubt they'll wait for the 4th overall pick to take that guy. I believe they will secure their QB here and pass on Saquon Barkley. Mayfield may lack size but he has that "it" factor and can make all the throws.

2. Giants: Saquon Barkley, Running Back, Penn State

The Giants get the best player in the draft and the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson. Barkley is an athletic beast who stuffed the stat sheet at Penn St. and blew up the combine as well. The Giants will need to fix their joke of an O-line if they want Barkley to reach his true potential.

3. Colts: Quenton Nelson, Offensive Guard, Notre Dame

The Colts have a laundry list of needs, and while 3rd overall is rather high for a guard, Nelson is the best player available and a game-changer O-lineman. The Colts have been awful at protecting their QB for years now and they could use a stalwart like Nelson for years to come.

4. Browns: Denzel Ward, Cornerback, Ohio State

The Browns could use a CB across from Jason McCourty, and Ward looks very similar to OSU's most recent CB, Marshon Lattimore. The pairing of McCourty, Ward, and Boddy-Calhoun would actually be daunting to go up against.

5. Broncos: Sam Darnold, Quarterback, USC

The Broncos might have to move up if they want Darnold, but this mock draft is not including trades, so they can nab him here. Denver will likely sign a veteran QB like Case Keenum or A. J. McCarron, but I don't think that'll stop them from drafting a rookie QB, a la Chicago's Glennon-Trubisky combo last offseason.

6. Jets: Josh Rosen, Quarterback, UCLA

The Jets need help at a bunch of positions, but they're not going to give up the chance to draft a QB high. Rosen is one of the safer rookie QBs with a strong arm and above average accuracy and will likely compete for the starting job.

7. Buccaneers: Bradley Chubb, Defensive End, N.C. State

The Buccaneers pass rush was a punchline in 2017 as they barely pressured the QB. Thankfully, the best edge prospect has fallen right into their laps because of the number of QBs drafted. Chubb should spark some life into a pathetic Tampa Bay defense.

8. Bears: Harold Landry, Defensive End, Boston College

The Bears haven't got what they wanted from Lenoard Floyd and Pernell McPhee has been released, so their defense needs another pass rusher. Landry had a injury-filled 2017 season at Boston College but was fantastic in 2016, ranking just below Myles Garrett as a pass rusher.

9. 49ers: Da'Ron Payne, Defensive Tackle, Alabama

The 49ers struggled to stop the run, and Payne is the answer they're looking for. He could fill in right next to the already great DeForest Buckner and flatten HBs while even providing some spark in the pass rushing department.

10. Raiders: Derwin James, Safety, Florida State

The Raiders desperately need to add more defensive talent as their unit fell apart in 2017. James is a great value pick here and he should be able to take over Reggie Nelson's spot.

11. Dolphins: Mike McGlinchey, Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame

The Dolphins are planning on releasing RT Ja'Wuan James, which isn't a good idea, but McGlinchey should be able to fill that spot. McGlinchey is one of the few tackles in this draft class that will be a day 1 contributor.

12. Bengals: Connor Williams, Offensive Tackle, Texas

The Bengals fielded the NFL's worst offensive line in 2017. They might be tempted to reach for an O-lineman, and honestly, they should. I rarely think reaching is a good idea but their O-line was simply that bad.

13. Redskins: Vita Vea, Defensive Tackle, Washington

The Redskins couldn't stop the run and they could use a legit nose tackle. Vea fills that role perfectly as it's debatale whether he or Payne is the better player. Either would be great for the Skins.

14. Packers: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Safety, Alabama

The Packers have invested a bunch of draft picks into DBs lately, but their pass defense has been a tire fire for approximately two seasons. With Morgan Burnett a free agent and the Packers usually playing 3 safeties, Fitzpatrick can play Day 1 and fix their problematic pass defense.

15. Cardinals: Courtland Sutton, Wide Receiver, SMU

The Cardinals have about one year of Larry Fitzgerald left and the injury prone deep threat John Brown at WR. They need to give their new QB a weapon, and Sutton is fast and 6'5".

16. Ravens: Josh Allen, Quarterback, Wyoming

I'm going to be honest - I don't like Josh Allen that much. I think he's a 2nd round prospect, but he's been hyped up and I think the Ravens will be looking for a QB to replace Flacco in 2019. Allen isn't ready to start, so he can spend 2018 on the bench.

17. Chargers: Kolton Miller, Offensive Tackle, UCLA

The Chargers need a RT and Miller cemented himself in the first round with a great combine. Miller should be able to handle RT and possibly move on to LT depending on how Russell Okung plays.

18. Seahawks: Joshua Jackson, Cornerback, Iowa

The Seahawks need to improve their O-line, but with their options limited, they'll opt for one of the best players available: Joshua Jackson. With Richard Sherman cut, the Seahawks need someone to pair up with Shaq Griffin. Seattle's defense will fall into disrepair if they don't invest more picks into it.

19. Cowboys: Roquan Smith, Outside Linebacker, Georgia

Stopping the run was a weakness of the Dallas defense, and they could use someone to replace Anthony Hitchens. Smith would be an immediate upgrade if he could stay healthy.

20. Lions: Tremaine Edmunds, Outside Linebacker, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is a steal here as the 19 year old is incredibly athletic and was tremendously productive at Virginia Tech. New HC Matt Patricia could use a weapon like Edmunds to whip that defense into shape.

21. Bills: Lamar Jackson, Quarterback, Louisville

We're at QB #5 in the first 21 picks! The Bills need to find their QB of the future and Jackson brings a Vick-like scrambling abiliy and a cannon of an arm. However, he will need to be more accurate if he wants to thrive in the NFL and there is always uncertainty about the health of a scrambling QB.

22. Bills: Calvin Ridley, Wide Receiver, Alabama

The Bills had nothing at WR in 2017 and they'll have one starter if Kelvin Benjamin can stay healthy. Ridley has been losing steam lately but he has a high ceiling and has the potential to be a #1 WR.

23. Rams: Marcus Davenport, Defensive End, Texas-San Antonio

After trading Robert Quinn to the Dolphins, the Rams need some pass rushers. Davenport comes from a small school and is a toolsy player but he has the ability to become a supreme pass rusher.

24. Panthers: Donte Jackson, Cornerback, LSU

In the second half of the season, the Panthers couldn't stop anybody through the air. The combo of James Bradberry and Daryl Worley hasn't worked, so they could spend a 1st rounder on that position. Jackson was one of the best performers of the combine as he was blazing fast.

25. Titans: Taven Bryan, Defensive Tackle, Florida

With Sylvester Williams and DaQuan Jones on their way out, the Titans need some beef up front to stuff the run. Bryan stamped his ticket to the first round of the draft with a great combine, showing his athletisicm despite his size.

26. Falcons: Isaiah Wynn, Offensive Tackle, Georgia

Neither Wes Schweitzer nor Ben Garland were the solution at RG. They need a real answer at that position and Wynn would be a great fit there.

27. Saints: Rashaan Evans, Inside Linebacker, Alabama

The Saints could use improvements over Manti Te'o and Craig Robertson at linebacker and Alex Anzalone is usually injured. Evans might need some development time but just like many other Bama LBs, he has the skill set to be a special player.

28. Steelers: Leighton Vander Esch, Inside Linebacker, Boise State

The Steelers need someone to fill Shazier's shoes. Vander Esch may be a one year wonder at Boise State but what a year it was. He might need some development time but he has the skill set to be a great starter.

29. Jaguars: Hayden Hurst, Tight End, South Carolina

The Jaguars have some young WRs that played really well with Bortles, but they need a receiving TE as Marcedes Lewis is a blocker and a blocker only. Hurst has great hands and speed but lacks in the blocking category - sounds like a match for Jacksonville.

30. Vikings: Will Hernandez, Offensive Guard, UTEP

The Vikings need a RG with Joe Berger retiring/leaving. Hernandez is a force to be reckoned with in the run blocking game and dominated defenders. He might need to work on his pass protection skills, but he'd fit right in blocking lanes open for Dalvin Cook.

31. Patriots: Arden Key, Defensive End, LSU

The Patriots go shooting for the moon here and take the best player available... if he can stay on the field. Key has numerous off-the-field problems but the Pats badly need a pass rusher. Key is one the best pass rushers available in the draft but has Randy Gregory potential.

32. Eagles: Darius Leonard, Outside Linebacker, South Carolina State

The Eagles are so stacked I'm not even sure who to mock them. They need an outside LB since they can't hope to afford Nigel Bradham. Leonard is a 2nd round prospect but they could develop him into a starter with a season or two on the bench.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Danchat's 2018 Mock Draft

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Most of this looks like it could actually happen. The Browns HAVE to pass on Barkley even if they wanted him, they need a QB (For how long the Browns need a QB again?). The Seahawks definitely need to start replacing the old Legion of Boom (And with no Richard Sherman, that one is over). The Steelers well ... help at almost everything Defense except Defensive Ends, and maybe Running Back if Le'Veon Bell keeps his "make the Running Back position be respected" shenanigans. The Chargers ... they need to learn to draft just as much as the Browns. And the Cards need either a FA QB or a QB from the draft, probably both.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Danchat wrote:1. Browns: Baker Mayfield, Quarterback, Oklahoma

The Browns need to find their franchise QB and I doubt they'll wait for the 4th overall pick to take that guy. I believe they will secure their QB here and pass on Saquon Barkley. Mayfield may lack size but he has that "it" factor and can make all the throws.

I also think they'll take a QB, but there's no way it's Mayfield. I don't think he'll go until the 10-15 range, if that. The Browns (hopefully) won't make the same mistake they made before with a big time college quarterback who is a huge character risk, and may not even be able to convert his skills to the NFL level.

Honestly, I think they should take Barkley #1, and take a QB #4. But they won't.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:57 pm

RevanFan wrote:

I also think they'll take a QB, but there's no way it's Mayfield. I don't think he'll go until the 10-15 range, if that. The Browns (hopefully) won't make the same mistake they made before with a big time college quarterback who is a huge character risk, and may not even be able to convert his skills to the NFL level.

Honestly, I think they should take Barkley #1, and take a QB #4. But they won't.

I don't think I'd classify Mayfield as a character risk... he nailed all of the interviews and it appears he's moved on from his problems in the past. I've heard more talk that Rosen was unpopular in the locker room and a poor leader.

Pro Football Focus has Mayfield as the #1 overall prospect coming into the 2018 draft and I read that one person in the Browns front office was enamored with Mayfield, but I've also heard that they like Darnold a lot too.

And as I write this, the Browns have acquired Tyrod Taylor from the Bills, so it looks like he'll be their Week 1 QB... but I still expect them to draft a QB.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Danchat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

I don't think I'd classify Mayfield as a character risk... he nailed all of the interviews and it appears he's moved on from his problems in the past. I've heard more talk that Rosen was unpopular in the locker room and a poor leader.

Pro Football Focus has Mayfield as the #1 overall prospect coming into the 2018 draft and I read that one person in the Browns front office was enamored with Mayfield, but I've also heard that they like Darnold a lot too.

And as I write this, the Browns have acquired Tyrod Taylor from the Bills, so it looks like he'll be their Week 1 QB... but I still expect them to draft a QB.

If they are smart, they will draft a QB to learn under Tyrod Taylor, or even compete with him for the starter position. The Browns still need a franchise QB, Taylor is most likely not that guy. If Baker Mayfield/Josh Rosen/Josh Allen/Sam Darnold/Lamar Jackson/Whoever they draft is that guy, not sure. They have tried this around 20 times before, they have to nail it at least once.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 am

Can't see the Giants passing on Darnold. He's a perfect Giants QB.
I also can't see the Mayfield going first.
I'd say Darnold goes first to the Browns, Rosen 5 to the Broncos and Mayfield 6 to the Jets.

Minkah Fitzpatrick still there at 14?
So the Giants traded Beckham....

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:19 am

mee wrote:Can't see the Giants passing on Darnold. He's a perfect Giants QB.
I also can't see the Mayfield going first.
I'd say Darnold goes first to the Browns, Rosen 5 to the Broncos and Mayfield 6 to the Jets.

Minkah Fitzpatrick still there at 14?

I read from a reliable reporter that teams don't view Fitzpatrick as a top 10 player and he is expected to be drafted in the 11-16 range, similar to how Malik Hooker fell there last draft.

I'm basically throwing up guesses when it comes to QBs and there will definitely be teams moving up around the 2-6 spots. I just have a feeling the Browns will take Mayfield and I don't think they're willing to wait for that #4 pick.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:24 am

Danchat wrote:28. Steelers: Leighton Vander Esch, Inside Linebacker, Boise State

The Steelers need someone to fill Shazier's shoes. Vander Esch may be a one year wonder at Boise State but what a year it was. He migh need some development time but he has the skill set to be a great starter.

jose21crisis wroteThe Steelers well ... help at almost everything Defense except Defensive Ends, and maybe Running Back if Le'Veon Bell keeps his "make the Running Back position be respected" shenanigans.

Steelers will get either VanderEsch or Evans...round 2 will be a Safety..3rd either WR or RB...
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:35 am

BUS36 wrote:
Danchat wrote:28. Steelers: Leighton Vander Esch, Inside Linebacker, Boise State

The Steelers need someone to fill Shazier's shoes. Vander Esch may be a one year wonder at Boise State but what a year it was. He migh need some development time but he has the skill set to be a great starter.

jose21crisis wrote:The Steelers well ... help at almost everything Defense except Defensive Ends, and maybe Running Back if Le'Veon Bell keeps his "make the Running Back position be respected" shenanigans.

Steelers will get either VanderEsch or Evans...round 2 will be a Safety..3rd either WR or RB...

There is this slight chance that if a solid QB is still there by Round 2 (Lamar Jackson is an example), they might take him. Considering their QB situation (Old Ben, Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs), it's actually a good idea if they don't want to have another mediocre era between SB winning QBs.

As for drafting a WR, it always works (Limas Sweed not withstanding), so they'll probably do so.
Semper fi

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am

jose21crisis wrote:There is this slight chance that if a solid QB is still there by Round 2 (Lamar Jackson is an example), they might take him. Considering their QB situation (Old Ben, Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs), it's actually a good idea if they don't want to have another mediocre era between SB winning QBs.

As for drafting a WR, it always works (Limas Sweed not withstanding), so they'll probably do so.

The Steelers will not be looking for a QB in this years draft ..they need to see if Dobbs could be the heir to Ben first and are comfortable with Landry as a backup. I would not be surprised if they make a trade on draft day..that's what my bird has told me...
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “NFL Football”