Larry Fitzgerald is going to give it one more go.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Larry Fitzgerald is an interesting story. He's one of the best receivers in the league, definitely Hall Of Famer. He could surpass T,O. for 2nd most receiving yards all-time and Tony Gonzales for 2nd most receptions all-time, both on them in the next season ... and yet he has never won a Super Bowl. The problem is, the Cardinals have not been able to get a great franchise QB. And the 2 times they did, first they managed to get Kurt Warner, went to Super Bowl XLIII and Fitzgerald had a great play on that one in which he took a pass around 70 yards to the endzone. That that got negated by another, insaner play by Big Ben and Santonio Holmes. Then the Cardinals went onto a period of mediocrity with Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer. The other franchise QB they got was Carson Palmer, who is pretty good but has a career filled with injuries. Cue 2018, both Bruce Arians and Palmer retire.

Fitzgerald deserves better. The Cardinals maybe are not making it as far as they got with Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer, but if they can give Fitzgerald a good enough QB (Kirk Cousins if one, but considering Washington is considering putting the Franchise Tag on him AGAIN, without mentioning EVERY other team that's looking for a QB) he could end his career with a great season.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Larry Fitzgerald is going to give it one more go.

Postby RevanFan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Leinart was actually before Warner. After Warner retired, Leinart was cut and Anderson became the starter.

And I wouldn't really call Warner or Palmer franchise quarterbacks for Arizona. To me, a franchise quarterback has to be someone you get relatively young, and you have to expect him to start for a long time. Warner and Palmer both came to Arizona toward the end of their careers.

Fitzgerald will be in the Hall of Fame. And greatly enjoy watching him play, and want him to keep playing as long as possible. The league and the game are better when he's involved.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Larry Fitzgerald is an interesting story. He's one of the best receivers in the league, definitely Hall Of Famer. He could surpass T,O. for 2nd most receiving yards all-time and Tony Gonzales for 2nd most receptions all-time, both on them in the next season ... and yet he has never won a Super Bowl. The problem is, the Cardinals have not been able to get a great franchise QB. And the 2 times they did, first they managed to get Kurt Warner, went to Super Bowl XLIII and Fitzgerald had a great play on that one in which he took a pass around 70 yards to the endzone. That that got negated by another, insaner play by Big Ben and Santonio Holmes. Then the Cardinals went onto a period of mediocrity with Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer. The other franchise QB they got was Carson Palmer, who is pretty good but has a career filled with injuries. Cue 2018, both Bruce Arians and Palmer retire.

Fitzgerald deserves better. The Cardinals maybe are not making it as far as they got with Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer, but if they can give Fitzgerald a good enough QB (Kirk Cousins if one, but considering Washington is considering putting the Franchise Tag on him AGAIN, without mentioning EVERY other team that's looking for a QB) he could end his career with a great season.

Washington is moving on from cousins...they have already processed a trade with the chiefs for alex smith. Once the new league year begins it will be official. Cousins is a mediocre qb at best....he needs a lot of great pieces surrounding him to excel and cannot win games by himself like a tom brady or cam newton. Arizona is better off trading fitzgerald to a contender rather than wasting his probable last year in arizona...he deserves to win at least 1 superbowl....

warner and palmer were both stop gaps as revanfan said they were no longer considered "franchise quarterback" as they had several years of subpar play between playoff appearances and were more gunslingers then accurate passers....they had good receivers who would fight for the ball and make great catches like fitzgerald with his acrobat catches....otherwise on any other team they would be relegated to 2nd or 3rd string backup roles....

carson palmer has and will always be a loser....he just doesn't win in the playoffs and that is the simple fact.....
arizona will be lucky to even get 7 wins this season ....trade larry and get a draft pick or compensation and respect larry's career by sending him to a contender like NE or maybe even Carolina where he will have real franchise quarterbacks throwing him the ball.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:Washington is moving on from cousins...they have already processed a trade with the chiefs for alex smith. Once the new league year begins it will be official. Cousins is a mediocre qb at best....he needs a lot of great pieces surrounding him to excel and cannot win games by himself like a tom brady or cam newton.

It's been reported that they might franchise tag Cousins again with the intent of trading him. Even if they decide to keep him (which they probably won't do), Cousins could file a grievance with the NFLPA like AJ McCarron did. And Washington don't really want a expensive, pissed off QB at all.

ultimatum77 wrote:Arizona is better off trading fitzgerald to a contender rather than wasting his probable last year in arizona...he deserves to win at least 1 superbowl....

Agree, he's a great WR that has played for a historically pathetic team. Their only notable seasons were 2008 (Super Bowl XLIII), 2014 (11-5) and 2015 (13-3).

ultimatum77 wrote:warner and palmer were both stop gaps as revanfan said they were no longer considered "franchise quarterback" as they had several years of subpar play between playoff appearances and were more gunslingers then accurate passers....they had good receivers who would fight for the ball and make great catches like fitzgerald with his acrobat catches....otherwise on any other team they would be relegated to 2nd or 3rd string backup roles....

Well ... yeah, at least those 2 didn't go to the Browns. It would have been much worse for those 2. Also, Brett Favre was a gunslinger style QB and that got the Packers to a SuperBowl ... he also had countless season ending INTs, on 3 teams nonetheless.

ultimatum77 wrote:carson palmer has and will always be a loser....he just doesn't win in the playoffs and that is the simple fact.....

He was a Bengals QB under Marvin Lewis, enough said.

ultimatum77 wrote:arizona will be lucky to even get 7 wins this season ....trade larry and get a draft pick or compensation and respect larry's career by sending him to a contender like NE or maybe even Carolina where he will have real franchise quarterbacks throwing him the ball.....

Like I said, Fitzgerald deserves a real QB, not backups, busts or end-of-career QBs, which is what he's been having for his entire career. However, I think he wants to retire as a Cardinals player, and I respect that.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

ultimatum77 wrote:carson palmer has and will always be a loser....he just doesn't win in the playoffs and that is the simple fact.....
arizona will be lucky to even get 7 wins this season ....trade larry and get a draft pick or compensation and respect larry's career by sending him to a contender like NE or maybe even Carolina where he will have real franchise quarterbacks throwing him the ball.....

Before Palmer got there, the Bengals were the Browns of that era. Terrible football team. As bad as any team of any era.

Palmer didn't win a Super Bowl, but that can be said about QBs that were alot better. And that knee injury robbed him of his best chance to win there. That '05 team was setup pretty well, and was very explosive. He literally got taken out at the knees.

.. I'll puke if Fitz goes to New England. That would be awful.

I think its Arizona, or perhaps the Vikes, given his history with that team.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm

AaronS wrote:

Before Palmer got there, the Bengals were the Browns of that era. Terrible football team. As bad as any team of any era.

Palmer didn't win a Super Bowl, but that can be said about QBs that were alot better. And that knee injury robbed him of his best chance to win there. That '05 team was setup pretty well, and was very explosive. He literally got taken out at the knees.

.. I'll puke if Fitz goes to New England. That would be awful.

I think its Arizona, or perhaps the Vikes, given his history with that team.

Actually, it was Marvin Lewis who turned the Bengals of the '90s, AKA the Bungles into the Bengals we know now. Carson Palmer was just part of the equation. The problem is, despite the fact that he improved a team that simply sucked, he has been coaching a team for 15 years ... and hasn't won a playoffs game. None.

I don't really think Fitzgerald will go to New England, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm pretty sure he will stay in Arizona. He probably wants to end his career there, and is understandable.

Palmer can win in the playoffs. Not consistently but he can. IIRC, they won 2 Wild Card (I think they were Wild Card) games, both in Arizona, both against the Packers too. The one I remember was after a great A-Rod throw and an incredible Greg Jennings (Actually, Jeff Janis) catch to send the game to OT, but then Larry pretty much took the Cardinals down the field all by himself.
Semper fi

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Palmer can win in the playoffs. Not consistently but he can. IIRC, they won 2 Wild Card (I think they were Wild Card) games, both in Arizona, both against the Packers too. The one I remember was after a great A-Rod throw and an incredible Greg Jennings (Actually, Jeff Janis) catch to send the game to OT, but then Larry pretty much took the Cardinals down the field all by himself.

The OT game with the Rodgers comeback was Kurt Warner.. not Palmer..

jose21crisis wrote:Actually, it was Marvin Lewis who turned the Bengals of the '90s, AKA the Bungles into the Bengals we know now. Carson Palmer was just part of the equation. The problem is, despite the fact that he improved a team that simply sucked, he has been coaching a team for 15 years ... and hasn't won a playoffs game. None.

I'm not going to waste a whole lot of time on Palmer.. but I think his career may have been different if not for that knee injury. 2005 he was #2 in QB rating and led the League in td passes. Then he got Kimo'd in that Playoff game... a game they had a great chance to win.

I respect the heck out of Marvin Lewis. I don't think the Bengals are a great organization. Lewis isn't necessarily great either, but I think he was a key to their turnaround.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm

AaronS wrote:The OT game with the Rodgers comeback was Kurt Warner.. not Palmer..

There were 2. I know this for a fact because I just saw a highlight video that had those 2 games. The first one was with Kurt Warner and it was a freaking shootout. 45-45 on OT, Rodgers fumbled the ball and the Cardinals picked it up. 51-45.

The other one was with Palmer, which is the one I'm referring to. 13-20 on the 4th, Rodgers went deep and Jeff Janis snatched a ball out of the air as it almost becomes a Patric Peterson INT. Cue OT. Palmer passes it to Fitzgerald (who was stupid open) for 75 yards, then another pass to Larry for the win.
Semper fi

Return to “NFL Football”